Nobody knows whats wrong with me ???

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How are these negative statements going to help you Bruces? I know I keep asking but it's something you've got to ask yourself and try and shift this way of thinking.

According to cognitive behavioral theory, depressed people think differently than non-depressed people, and it is this difference in thinking that causes them to become depressed. For example, depressed people tend to view themselves, their environment, and the future in a negative, pessimistic light. As a result, depressed people tend to misinterpret facts in negative ways and blame themselves for any misfortune that occurs. This negative thinking and judgment style functions as a negative bias; it makes it easy for depressed people to see situations as being much worse than they really are, and increases the risk that such people will develop depressive symptoms in response to stressful situations.

According to Dr. Aaron Beck, negative thoughts, generated by dysfunctional beliefs are typically the primary cause of depressive symptoms. A direct relationship occurs between the amount and severity of someone’s negative thoughts and the severity of their depressive symptoms. In other words, the more negative thoughts you experience, the more depressed you will become.

Beck also asserts that there are three main dysfunctional belief themes (or “schemas”) that dominate depressed people’s thinking: 1) I am defective or inadequate, 2) All of my experiences result in defeats or failures, and 3) The future is hopeless. Together, these three themes are described as the Negative Cognitive Triad. When these beliefs are present in someone’s cognition, depression is very likely to occur (if it has not already occurred).

I'm in a very very depressed state and coupled with the ocd is making it even harder,I just watch the clock till I can go to bed it's terrible

Ok, I understand life is hard, and you don't feel like doing anything, but unless you try and do something nothing, absolutely nothing, will change. So following on from what I asked a couple of days ago what are you going to do today to try and improve things?

The first step needs to be thinking about what you can do, and what you need to do and then giving it a go. For example, one possible answer might be 'I will go and get a copy of a book on feeling better about myself'. It's a small step, but it's a positive step Bruces. I would recommend taking a look at this book, The Compassionate Mind - http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1849010986/ocduk02-21 but I am sure there are many others about helping people feel better about themselves. Maybe your answer could be 'Ashley, I am off to Waterstones to browse some books and maybe to order the one you suggest'. It will get you out of the house for a hour.

What about asking your MH teams if they can suggest any courses available for people with MH problems in the daytime, something that will again get you out of the house for a bit.

So, over to you Bruces, what are you going to do today to help yourself?

Well I've done the school runs and done some work on my dads car but obviously he has to check the work I've done as I don't trust myself,even when I'm busy I still can't get my mind of my problems,I just constantly think how useless I am and how my life is pointless,I can't think of a reason to be here :(

Change the way you think and behave and the world will seem like a better place. You aren't doing yourself any favors going on and on about how bad things are.

What is your purpose for being here, bruces? Why relentlessly post about how bad things are? What do you hope to get out of it?

Guest Tricia

I know what you mean, but I'm unsure whether it helps; focusing on it in this way can make us worse. Activity might help. My daughter suffers terrible depression and she gains relief from spending an hour or so doing aerobic exercise. It might not help you, but anything is worth trying.

No it probably doesn't,I can do other activities such as going for a drive or housework or doing jobs but it never leaves my mind now,it used to I used to be able to go out with friends and not think about it for a few hours but distraction doesn't se to work anymore,I can't seem to read

Like I used to I can't concentrate it's got much worse these last couple of years,I can't see any reason in living

How are these statements helping your situation Bruces?

I know life is very tough for you right now.....but continuing this is worsening an already difficult situation. So when you post these statements, what is the purpose? What do you aim to achieve or find help from doing so? It doesn't help you in any way, it makes things worse........so what drives you to do so?

Even when we're at rock bottom.....it's still useful to examine why we do certain things. Using the forum to put ourselves down, for self-hatred isn't helpful in any way. Is it? It can't help you. So, can you think how it could be used to help more effectively? Because right now it's harmful rather than helpful to you....and that's not helpful at all

Alls I want is to be normal

Well, you have to start somewhere and like I've said before to you (and many others) you have to start that process by changing some of your repetitive behaviours, like repeatedly posting self-loathing statements to yourself. It is something that you can (and must) work on if there's to be any improvement in your life.

I think it would help enormously if you had an advocate to assist you in getting proper treatment. Take a look at the info on Mind's website about advocacy here http://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/guides-to-support-and-services/advocacy-in-mental-health/#.VYastlKkrCRand call their information line and speak to someone about it. The number is 03001233393. If you resolve to do one thing today then make it be this. Call the number tomorrow when the lines open at 9am, and look at the website today.