Obsessive Compulsive Cleaners - Another series

Guest megan

i understand why fundamentally the program is offensive to u and wasnt querying that, but i thoroughly enjoy cleaning and so wanted to know whether this had been based on research. i wouldnt go into sometimes home and clean the mess these people live in because most on the program are lazy, i would consider a vulnerable persons or someone that needed help.

Edited by megan

do you have contamination based OCD? I don't think anyone is disputing that some people enjoy cleaning, it is the linking between OCD and the enjoyment that people object to. If they just made a programme about clean freaks cleaning people's homes it would be harmless entertainment. But that's not what this is about.

Guest megan

yes there is contamination and a ritual basis to my cleaning, i do enjoy cleaning and even when its a compulsion, i am fully aware this isnt common hence i wanted to know if research based. i do question the participants anyway but i have issue with all reality tv, the undateables where they just feed on the thought that if 'they' think ur ugly u need their help to get a date, and hoarders too. they dont give them time to bed in exposure therapy they just go in and say why do u live like this and throw stuff out. any form of reality tv is rubbish its humiliating people, x factor etc. but how many people watch one bit disagree with another. it is on tv because people watch it and feed off it. but i didnt disagree with u on the poor message it sends.

yes there is contamination and a ritual basis to my cleaning, i do enjoy cleaning and even when its a compulsion, i am fully aware this isnt common hence i wanted to know if research based.

I don't think it needs to be research based Megan, a quick browse of the forum will show people simply hate their compulsions.

• 2 weeks later...

Open Letter to Mr David Abraham, Channel 4. We have to do this, because after so many series, and two episodes in this new series it appears no other mental health charity cares enough.

Mr David Abraham
Chief executive
Channel 4
124 Horseferry Road
London
SW1P 2TX

Open Letter to Mr David Abraham, Channel 4

Dear Mr Abraham,

Another series, and once again another letter from me to implore you to reconsider your plans for the planned autumn series of Obsessive Compulsive Cleaners.

Your programme about cleaning is deliberately using Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) for entertainment value which is unacceptable and simply makes a mockery of OCD. It is responsible for an increase in stigma and misunderstanding for those that suffer. Let me ask, are you proud to put your name to such an awful programme?

Our previous correspondence appears to have been passed to your disability advisor, however it is clear that Channel 4 have no intention to listen to our concerns and we simply receive the standard ‘fob off’ response.
Mr Abraham you're ultimately responsible for your channels output, so please have the decency to address these concerns personally. In fact, why don’t you agree to sit across the table with people who have experienced the devastation that OCD causes so we can tell you face-to-face what we think of Channel 4 and Obsessive Compulsive Cleaners?

I close by asking the same question I asked in my previous correspondence which I am yet to receive an answer to. Are viewing figures and advertising sales of more importance to Channel 4 than the well-being and dignity of people with OCD?

Yours sincerely,

Ashley Fulwood

Chief Executive of OCD-UK