Mindfulness - Peeling Away The Clouds Of Mystique Surrounding It

Mindfulness is simply "being" - just being aware solely of the here and now and nothing else.

That's all folks

No mystery to it. A basic guide is great to get us started.

For me, and after some guidance from my therapist who practises mindfullness-based CBT, we need to switch our focus within; from the active "doing "part of the brain which seeks answers and gets jammed in OCD, over to the benign calm "being" part of the brain.

Essentially instead of hairing along stressed and compulsing, we just get off that fast train and smell the flowers, see the surroundings, hear the bird calls and be aware of nothing else.

I have been mindful while writing this piece; some relaxing calming music is playing which is my hearing focus, my eyes only see the mobile keyboard and text, and my brain is solely focused on what I am composing.

So my body is working autonomously - I am unaware of it apart from a now-quickly-calming-down pollen allergic reaction to buddleia!

When we are just totally involved in the moment using all our senses and calming down, we are entering that beneficial mindful state.

:cool2:

Edited by taurean

Personally I think the path to mindfulness may better lie in carrying out relaxation techniques to reduce stress and anxiety, and ease down the mental chatter in our brain that whirrs away when OCD is playing up.

There are many good techniques for relaxation, and using the search field top right should enable people to scroll through topics on the subject.

When we manage to flip from being all tied up in obsessing and compulsing, and ease our muscles and breathe slower and deeper, invoking a relaxation reasponse, perhaps shifting towards mindfulness is a logical and easier path from there.

It's very good for you. It's like giving yourself a break and letting yourself just thrive, rather than pressurising yourself. :)

I am glad I seem to have demystified the concept.

When I am able to slip into mindfulness, everything just becomes calm. I seem to see more sharply, taste more richly, hear things that bnefore were just overpowered by general noises.I have more energy - as none is leaking away - and I can remain alert for longer.

For example, last night - once the anti-histamine pill got me over a bad allergic reaction to buddleia pollen - I was relaxing with music and posting a topic. Then I made a snack with some bread margarine and reduced sugar marmalade. Tasting that marmalade became a really trich and fulfilling experience, it was like sampling an expensive wine - it was tangy, there was a sweetness and in fact i noticed it tasted sweeter than a similar product from another supermarket - I had the time and focus to taste the constituents in the marmalade, rather than what we usually do, bolt it down.

I have tried mindfulness many times, but.....

I tend to find it quite stressful. I always worry I'm not doing it 'right' - in fact I'm not really sure what IS right. I'm not sure I fully understand the concept. It basically involves just being, focusing on what is going on right now... that I understand, but as soon as I start attempting that, it means attempting to block out any 'non-present-focused' thoughts, which makes them only come on more strongly.

As soon as I stop trying to be 'mindful' I feel relief.

I seem to be the only person who feels this way!

I have tried mindfulness many times, but.....

I tend to find it quite stressful. I always worry I'm not doing it 'right' - in fact I'm not really sure what IS right. I'm not sure I fully understand the concept. It basically involves just being, focusing on what is going on right now... that I understand, but as soon as I start attempting that, it means attempting to block out any 'non-present-focused' thoughts, which makes them only come on more strongly.

As soon as I stop trying to be 'mindful' I feel relief.

I seem to be the only person who feels this way!

not a recognised treatment for ocd . Some find it beneficial as a aid , i prefer kicking ocd ass personally, with CBT

Mmmh. I think it means that you are not really "free enough"from "doing" to switch to being - the point I was making.

As you found ginger, if the brain is still stuck chuntering away,mindfulness eludes us.

I need a transition from "doing" what

leads me - ready and calm - to being.

Intense distraction followed by deep breathing and muscle relaxing with maybevslme guided meditation tends to work forbmevas the transition.

not a recognised treatment for ocd .

It should be a recognized part of a holistic approach to getting well. There is nothing wrong with calming your brain down and centering yourself away from day to day to worries. In fact I think it can be highly beneficial to people with OCD to regularly practice it in order to non-medicinally keep their anxiety in check while they tackle their OCD.

not a recognised treatment for OCD

Actually it now is Legend. The latest is mindfulness-based CBT.

Having learned some of this curriculum from my comparatively recently-qualified Phd clinical psychologist, I do however feel it maybe best to focus in on the mindfulness as a natural progression from becoming calmer from the CBT and ERP elements.

Mmmh. I think it means that you are not really "free enough"from "doing" to switch to being - the point I was making.

As you found ginger, if the brain is still stuck chuntering away,mindfulness eludes us.

I need a transition from "doing" what

leads me - ready and calm - to being.

Intense distraction followed by deep breathing and muscle relaxing with maybevslme guided meditation tends to work forbmevas the transition.

I am definitely interested in learning how to do it properly :)

I can only achieve it when I have calmed the mental chatter from the "doing ".

It will be a case of what works for you ginger to get more in control of your thoughts to then switch into mindfulness mode.

What do you find helps invoke the "relaxation response?"

Actually it now is Legend. The latest is mindfulness-based CBT.

Having learned some of this curriculum from my comparatively recently-qualified Phd clinical psychologist, I do however feel it maybe best to focus in on the mindfulness as a natural progression from becoming calmer from the CBT and ERP elements.

it isnt on the nice guidlines i recall, or evidence backed for the treatment of ocd ?

Edited by Legend
Guest Lyn77

I have been on mindfulness course and I have studied it well and now practice it regularly. I believe it is why this time round.I have not been on medication and use.mindfulness as my tool against ocd

One of the things I noted is that you are only mentioning external factors and being.in the moment via senses. This is all part of mindfulness but the objective should never be to still the mind. Mindfulness is complete acceptance.of the present moment and that includes what's going.on in our heads. My mindfulness instructor told.me that all thoughts should be invited in and made welcome and no judgement passed what so ever. That to me is mindfulness and how I can use.it in the context of tackling my ocd. :)

Guest Lyn77

I have about 8 books on the subject.

If you want an easy explanation mindfulness for dummies range is great.

To go deeper the power of now by eckhart toll is a particularly challenging read but very worth it for mindfulness in every day. X

I have about 8 books on the subject.

If you want an easy explanation mindfulness for dummies range is great.

To go deeper the power of now by eckhart toll is a particularly challenging read but very worth it for mindfulness in every day. X

in essence then the importance is if you are to do midfullness, its about finding the one thats correctly going to work alongside ocd ?

because in theory, it could impede on recovery if it isnt the right type of mindfullness

i find the whole concept concerning and conflicting

but flip side you see positives , as long as youre challenging ocd with good therapy , with a therapist, or self help challenging the ocd cbt wise ?

Edited by Legend
Guest Lyn77

Yea most of the people I have spoke to about it don't have the full picture. If you read a definition of mindfulness it is very basic. It is about awareness. Being aware of your surroundings thoughts and feelings body sensations and paying attention to them with no judgement.

So for ocd basically I get an intrusive thought and normally I would spiral off and start ruminating over this. Using mindfulness I would get the intrusive thought and become aware of this fact. If my mind starts to ruminate or I get anxious I just become aware of this and become the spectator of my thoughts and not so caught up in them if you see what I mean.

Yea most of the people I have spoke to about it don't have the full picture. If you read a definition of mindfulness it is very basic. It is about awareness. Being aware of your surroundings thoughts and feelings body sensations and paying attention to them with no judgement.

So for ocd basically I get an intrusive thought and normally I would spiral off and start ruminating over this. Using mindfulness I would get the intrusive thought and become aware of this fact. If my mind starts to ruminate or I get anxious I just become aware of this and become the spectator of my thoughts and not so caught up in them if you see what I mean.

yes like four steps , very similar

but next stage is doing the cbt , going with the fears not recognition of them

acknowledge and acceptance good , moving forwards better ? bit like im using mindfullness as a comfort blanket , im going to make myself aware each time of whats happening , and that becomes a loop / compulsion ?

Guest Lyn77

In essence you become the observer of your thoughts. Like watching them and not doing anything just allowing them to be. In ocd it is the reaction to the thoughts that causes the problem so I suppose in mindfulness this non reaction is what calms it.

In essence you become the observer of your thoughts. Like watching them and not doing anything just allowing them to be. In ocd it is the reaction to the thoughts that causes the problem so I suppose in mindfulness this non reaction is what calms it.

do we need to become an observer ? sounds more like a cbt approach lyn this rather than mindful ? an approach i used 10 years ago , dont react , carry on , but dont observe , observation can place some importance , but on flip you can observe and stick two fingers up , or go one step futher encourage and increase the thoughts , bring it on is that the best youve got

Guest Lyn77

No all of my studying of the subject and from my mindfulness practitioners is that of observation and acceptance. Continue in the being mode.of mind and not the doing. So the doing would be trying to fix things where as in the being it is just complete acceptance. What you find is that when you completely accept a thought with no judgement it is stopped.in it's tracks and doesn't take you any further and you move on and focus on what you want to. In mindfulness yoy are completely in the present moment which is all we ever have. We don't have the past and we don't have the future it's all just projected in the mind so in mindfulness you are being aware of your moment you are in whether it is good or bad and yoy accept it fully. It kind of rids you of anxiety and fear and depression when you only focus on the now and nothing else. I totally agree with what your saying though. I think cbt is great I've only got 1 book on that right enough lol but I do think a combo of cbt/erp and mindfulness is great.