as in how long to shower how long to clean inside mouth after eating.

This is making life awful. I lick round mouth gums and teeth after eating and get every last bit out or panic it will get outside and hurt us. Used to get most out then have drink and swish it round. How long should it take and how do other people do it. Thank you.

I think the truth is that most people don't do this at all. Some may brush their teeth but generally not, given that they may be at work, in a cafe, in the car etc.

Do you appreciate that this is caused by OCD rather than being a valid worry?

The intensity is ocd but I have asked friends and some do nothing, others quickly lick round, other get bits between teeth out and one has chewing gum. Have seen people licking round or drinking and licking. I think people lick round without thinking much about it.

This is obsessional tia.

You appear to fear that if the food psrticles escape your mouth they will be harmful.

That is a new take on the contamination theme for me.

I brush my teeth twice a day and look to floss between them once every 2 to 3 days.

But I do little in between unless, like I have been, chewing nuts say.

It would seem your behavioural response is in reaction to your perceived "threat" feelings.

Guest cnm924

I have contamination issues with my mouth too regarding rinsing with water, brushing, and flossing, but I don't compulsively lick my mouth at all. What you are doing is a compulsion, definitely.

Thank you for replying. I used to lick round quickly but then breathed a bit out one day and went to back of jaw and found a whole lot. That is when I started to worry. People lick round without realizing they are doing it. It is when you think about what you do that it becomes a problem. It is the intensity that is ocd as I said before I have seen people do it quickly. I do not stare at them but notice it. If licking round quickly is ocd then there are an awful lot of people with ocd.

If licking round quickly is ocd then there are an awful lot of people with ocd.

What is OCD is your obsession with it. People without OCD don't even really think about it, certainly not in a way that they would worry about food particles escaping from their mouth. They wouldn't be observing other people to check what they do nor would they ask other people this sort of question. These are all compulsions, checking behaviors.

I smile and check in a mirror and use a napkin to remove anything, cause it's embarrassing to be talking and then later find out you had a green piece of lettuce on your teeth. :p It's probably good hygiene to brush after each meal though I eat too often and too many snacks for it to be practical. Xylitol gum helps.

Thank you all and thank you ADD for understanding. I looked at other people to learn as children look to learn. Its like riding a bicycle if you think about it too much and go too slowly you wobble. So I looked and they did not spend ages and were not tense so if they can do it I can. Just going round groove should be enough. I cannot be perfect. Hate it when people have not got most of biscuit out and speak to you and bits come out.