Mental Health Assessors think I pose a risk

Guest Paul92

I have a feeling Ashley may have said on another e-mail thread that e-mail address is being dropped (but I am not sure). So I'd copy in office@ocduk.org as well, just in case my memory might - for once - be serving me well.

Good luck Paul, like the others I am disgusted that you didn't get referred to an OCD-experienced person.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It isn't right all this, it will get sorted Paul.

What should have happened is a referral to someone skilled in OCD, who knows these intrusions happen but are just part of the disorder and not anything the sufferer wants or truly thinks or feels .

Wjhen I went for fresh therapy to see a clinical psychologist at the end of last year, she wanted me - quite standard practice - to keep a true specific thought log so she coukld identify thinking distortions and themes of OCD and the types of thought kintrusions I was suffering .

I correctly and honestly did this, and she hardly blinked at the distressing harm thoughts divulged - the correct reaction.

Guest Paul92

Right guys: I've emailed both support@OCDUK.org and office@ocduk.org

It's a fairly lengthy email, so my apologies in advance to the one who has to open it.

I'm genuinely terrified.

Right guys: I've emailed both support@OCDUK.org and office@ocduk.org

It's a fairly lengthy email, so my apologies in advance to the one who has to open it.

I'm genuinely terrified.

not surprised you are terrified , the ocd will be in overdrive due to the wonderful nhs we have

Guest Paul92

I left the meeting with reassurances from him that he would be in touch and that I had 'done well'. But what on earth does that mean? I was told by the first lady the same and she would be in touch in 2 weeks time ... yet 2 days later I was summoned in for further assessment and told that a safeguarding team had my details.

My mind is working overdrive. What's happening now? Is there going to be a knock on the door any minute? Will he be chatting with others, asking opinions, will they all agree they can't take the risk afterall?

I feel physically sick. It always affects my stomach when things happen, and I can't eat again.

Hi Paul

I'm sorry you've had this reaction - I guess everyone is covering their backs.....I think Ashley will be able to help you....I'm sure he knows, or knows of, psychologists who have knowledge and experience of these issues. I'm pretty sure Paul Salkovskis - and you don't get much more senior or respected than him - would be someone Ashley could ask for guidance and knowledge in this.

I hope you can soon get this sorted and have some peace of mind.

Take care

whitebeam

Paul we are standing solidly shoulder to shoulder with you . You are panicking, awfulising, the what ifs are going mad - hardly surprising, we would all no doubt have similar reactions.

Remember, what happened is not right and should not have happened. Thank goodness we have this resource to tackle such inequities.

:group:

Edited by taurean
Guest Anna24

I had a similar experience yesterday when I met with a new doctor. It's so upsetting that there is such ignorance and lack of knowledge about OCD by some mental health professionals. I hope your doing ok

Hi Paul

I'm sorry you've had this reaction - I guess everyone is covering their backs.....I think Ashley will be able to help you....I'm sure he knows, or knows of, psychologists who have knowledge and experience of these issues. I'm pretty sure Paul Salkovskis - and you don't get much more senior or respected than him - would be someone Ashley could ask for guidance and knowledge in this.

I hope you can soon get this sorted and have some peace of mind.

Take care

whitebeam

Yep !! Did exacts same for me xx
Guest Paul92

I had a similar experience yesterday when I met with a new doctor. It's so upsetting that there is such ignorance and lack of knowledge about OCD by some mental health professionals. I hope your doing ok

Hope you're okay Anna, it's truly soul destroying.

Thank you for all your support guys. I never ask anyone for anything, but I am genuinely scared at the moment. I really have no idea what to do. You only need one knock on the door for your life to be completely ruined.

Try not to go there Paul - that is real awfulising.

A mistake has been made that an experienced OCD professional would not have made, that is the way to look at it.

And experienced help will follow.

Edited by taurean

Ugh, I feel sick for you Paul.

It's sad that this type of ignorance by professionals can keep people from seeking out the help they need.

It's amazing that so many doctors and mental health workers have very little knowledge of OCD given how prevalent it is.

It's really not pleasant living with your life hanging in the balance. You couldn't make it up, you really couldn't

you couldnt , its awful place to be , but its going to change paul. stay safe mr.

Guest Lyn77

Hi there

I'm.so sorry to hear that this is happening to you. I myself went through hell last year due to someone having no training in ocd and reporting me to social services because I told her about my intrusive thoughts. I had phoned a crisis line and while.on the phone discussing it she said just so u know I'm informing social work. Next 3 months of my life I had.to deal with this and eventually had to go to a formal child protection meeting. It was the worst thing in my life I'm not going to lie but the truth came out and I had my gp and psychologist who confirmed I had ocd and nothing more sinister...I remember during the meeting I was reading out quotes about the disorder to try and give these people more of an understanding of it as clearly they just thought I was a risk. It was soul destroying and at the time I never thought I could recover from what I was put through. When they said they were no longer having any involvement in my life.I felt great but it took months for me to get over it. It's so so sad that there is not enough education on ocd.for the people working out in society esp in mental health fields. The person who refered me was a volunteer for a crisis line who had nobtraining in ocd and since this they have now received training on ocd symptoms. Wishing you well. You will get through this. I just wish I had reached out for help from this community more when I was going through it.

Hi there

I'm.so sorry to hear that this is happening to you. I myself went through hell last year due to someone having no training in ocd and reporting me to social services because I told her about my intrusive thoughts. I had phoned a crisis line and while.on the phone discussing it she said just so u know I'm informing social work. Next 3 months of my life I had.to deal with this and eventually had to go to a formal child protection meeting. It was the worst thing in my life I'm not going to lie but the truth came out and I had my gp and psychologist who confirmed I had ocd and nothing more sinister...I remember during the meeting I was reading out quotes about the disorder to try and give these people more of an understanding of it as clearly they just thought I was a risk. It was soul destroying and at the time I never thought I could recover from what I was put through. When they said they were no longer having any involvement in my life.I felt great but it took months for me to get over it. It's so so sad that there is not enough education on ocd.for the people working out in society esp in mental health fields. The person who refered me was a volunteer for a crisis line who had nobtraining in ocd and since this they have now received training on ocd symptoms. Wishing you well. You will get through this. I just wish I had reached out for help from this community more when I was going through it.

great words lynn xx

Hi Paul :)

Sorry I couldn't respond earlier, I was on my phone and it's nearly impossible!!

It's difficult to say Don't Worry......of course you will, but please don't. This will work out okay......you're life isn't ruined, it's disrupted due to people who haven't a clue.

A few years back the government responded to the fact that there wasn't good access to treatment for sufferers from psychological conditions like anxiety and depression and set about training hundreds of people on a graduate course to become Well-Being Practitioners. They set up a service called IAPT..... Instant Access to Psychological Services. It seems like a good idea but the reality, practicalities aren't that simple.

IAPT offers support that may be effective for things like stress, anxiety, mild depression. It's fairly straight forward stuff with lots of check lists for challenging thoughts, using simple techniques to challenge/question faulty thinking etc.......but it's practitioners aren't trained or qualified (at the normal levels) to deal with the variants of a condition like OCD, quite simply.....they don't have that knowledge or training.

Part of their initial process is to do a Health & Safety assessment ....which (as in your case) has ticked certain boxes that has prompted them to flag up a Danger warning (which to a true, knowledgeable professional) wouldn't happen. These "Practitioners" don't have that expertise or in-depth knowledge, they're tick-boxing and covering their backs, that's all. They're not part of the NHS or an official body, they are private companies offering their services to the NHS for a price.

These people ( dare I say in their defence) are acting simply according to "Their" own Guidelines........They are reacting because they don't have the knowledge of OCD as a condition, it's knee-jerk, ill-informed reaction....and it's sickening that it's still happening today. These people may be helpful in helping hundreds of people suffering from stress, anxiety, panic, mild/moderate depression.......but they aren't qualified (at the lower levels) to handle OCD, they haven't a clue!

Ashley is busy at the mo with the Ride4OCDUK but I have flagged this up with him.

This organisation isn't part of the NHS (so far as I understand) they are a private company selling their services......the "Practitioners" are a set of 20-something graduates who haven't a great deal of knowledge so far as OCD is concerned.

Don't go along with their referrals......frankly, they don't know what they're talking about.

I'm sorry you find yourself in this situation....It should never happen. Things will work out in the end, I'm sure of that and we're all here supporting you :hug:

I'm responding just after reading the first post.

Paul, this is an unfortunate situation but I don't think you have anything to worry about. You are thinking worse case scenario, which is typical in situations like this. Your Internet history is not being looked at. That's a bit of paranoia happening.

From time to time this type of situation happens. It sucks. Some people just don't understand OCD and don't understand the pedophile theme and they misconstrue what they hear and all of a sudden they're pushing the panic button. You don't need the help of these people. They are clearly not the type of people you need to be dealing with.

After reading through the whole thread, I have to wonder... if this type of thing can happen in the UK, with its mental health programs in place, what in the world happens in Canada and the U.S.? Unfortunately other people will read this thread and it may push them to not seek help. Sad state of affairs all around.

I'm so sorry you're are having to go through all this Paul, I've been assessed by people who don't understand OCD, but fortunetly I've always been moved on to a CBT therapist.

I hope they give you a full apology once they've realised their mistake.

Stay strong mate :original:

Hi Paul this is terrible, I really hope yourt ok.

This scares me because I seen a lady from IAPT and now I'm scared she's going to report me. x

Report for what ?