So, whose spotted the OCD storyline over the last couple of months of Casualty? As we mentioned in Compulsive Reading we worked on the scripts with them in January and so far from the episodes I have seen, it's all realistic. I wont spoil it for those who want to go to BBC iplayer to watch the last three episodes, http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b063cq1j/casualty-series-29-40-if-you-could-bottle-it

I suspect the storyline will play out more in the next episode.

I've been chatting about this with the fandom on Tumblr - and offering my experiences/understanding, which had been well-received! I mentioned I remembered you talking about the charity working with the BBC for an OCD storyline! It's really fantastic to have one develop slowly rather than being a one-off, and to be based around magical thinking rather than contamination fears. I'm very impressed Ashley!

It even looked like there was a little writing compulsion where Dr. Keogh had written the time of death down wrong, then adherence to correct records keeping won-out and he wrote the 4 over the top!

I don't think it's been named as such in the show? So I'm hoping it will rattle a few people with assumptions about the condition when it's revealed.

I had spotted it - I'm an avid 'Casualty' fan. I was going to put something on here and then saw the article in 'Compulsive Reading'. Fabulous that you were acting as consultants - it is really realistic, I think. Well done!

Years ago, they did (as i remember) a fabulous episode about a guy with OCD - very contamination-based and it affected his whole family. At the end, he agreed to seek help.......it was before I had OCD but I remember it very clearly. it would be awesome if they had that episode somewhere in their archives. I would love to see it with my current knowledge.

There was also an episode - again years ago - which tackled another unusual topic - the main storyline involved someone who was determined to have his leg removed/amputated - by any means as he didn't feel it was part of him - I think he lay on the railway line at some point to achieve this aim - there was a medical term mentioned. Could this be some link to BDD?

.....but what about the tear-jerking story with Zoe and Max :heart: :heart: ......I hope they do stay together - such an unlikely couple but they love each other........I know - it's only a story....but I love it!

Guest Charlotte

It's funny - I remember the Holby City OCD storyline with Joseph as it was just after I was diagnosed.

I was lucky enough to read the scripts whilst Ash was consulting on them - I am a huge Casualty fan! I think it is being done well so far, it is really getting across the anxiety that you feel when you are plunged into a triggering situation.

I do remember a Holby OCD episode but I can't remember any details and only that I wasn't that impressed - and I love Holby City.

I think the story in Casualty really does show the degree of anxiety and the steps he will take to make things 'safe'.

I suspect Dylan may be on the Autistic spectrum too - a complex guy. I like him - but I don't like his dog!

Guest Charlotte

Holby City had a whole storyline with Joseph Byrne, a surgeon. He had lots of rituals to protect his family and particularly his brother. It went on for a while and references were made to his OCD for years which is nice as it tends to be cured quickly and then never mentioned again!

I am looking forward to seeing Dylan*s recovery...

I forgot about Joseph Byrne - i actually got to like him after not liking him initially - I'd forgotten about his OCD traits too. i think after having his heart broken by Faye (she was always going to) he went off to be a GP in Scotland or somewhere distant from Holby.

There was an episode where a patient had OCD but I don't think i was very convinced by it.

I love Holby City and Casualty :heart: and Eastenders, after a break of a number of months is creeping back.

Edited by whitebeam

I didn't watch Casualty for years - only started in the mid 90's - missed Duffy and Robson Green as the porter.......but once I started I loved it - though I think I had a little spell where i didn't watch but once I caught it again, like you - hooked!

Especially Nick Jordan/David Wicks who appeared in Eastenders, Holby and then Casualty....then out of and back to Casualty and then back to Eastenders....never know where he might end up. I think his career was finished as a surgeon in Holby when his hand got shut in a car door - then he turned up in Casualty, had a fling with Zoe and off he went - back to Carol Jackson in EE - he can't know who or where he is!

• 2 weeks later...