The worst ever - globus?

Guest Lyn77

I can't even believe that this is so far the worst thing I've dealt with. I've had the worst intrusive thoughts in the past and now.. On Monday night after eating I felt like something was stuck in my throat so I tried to cough it up but no luck. So it's still the same now having this feeling of something lodged in my throat. I have been to gp and prescribed meds for acid reflux and he also mentioned globus. Any time I eat or drink I feel like I'm going to choke. All day I'm focused on my swallowing and how dry my throat is and how it doesn't feel right. I have just started uni and thus is suppost to b a good time but this is making me miserable just having this sensation. Could ocd be making it worse? Any suggestions on how to deal with it? X

Thank you for replying guys! So as usual the key is acceptance and no fighting it. It's been getting me down and I've stopped doing things I wanted to because I felt like there is something wrong with me. X

Hi Lyn77.

Globus pharyngis can be distressing. Your GP was insightful in his possible diagnosis of acid reflux. Although the advice given thus far is great regarding anxiety, it is important to investigate acid reflux further as it does cause globus pharyngis in many cases. Acid reflux can be managed with lifestyle changes that your doctor can advise you about.

Managing your anxiety will help you if it's globus pharyngis alone, or even if it is caused by acid reflux.

Either way, I hope you feel better soon.