Those "obsessive cleaners on tv" have not got real ocd ?

Almost certainly they don't have OCD. If they did, they would not purposely seek out a disgusting place to clean unless it was some huge exposure exercise and they wouldn't enjoy the cleaning.

i know Ashley has written to C4 several times in an attempt to get them to remove the programme or at least not say the people have OCD as it is misleading for people.

It annoys me that programs like this exist which are not accurate, just because it makes so say good reality TV for "entertainment", just like the programs dealing with people on benefits etc, I also do not agree with comics on TV making fun of people with disabilities, especially when they have no experience of having one etc

You raise a good point SnookerT, how do Channel 4 view this programme, 'entertainment' or as the sponsor message says at the start of each programme 'documentaries on 4'. Because if it is certainly not a true reflection of OCD so does not fit with 'documentary'.

I am meeting them in a couple of weeks, so will speak to them about this point.

I never watch these programs because it seems to portray OCD sufferers as excessive hand washers when there are many forms of other types of OCD, such as thoughts of harming others, mental and physical rituals regarding tapping, counting and touching. I think we all have the odd ritual but to say we all have OCD is not really true as in most cases it is not proper OCD, just liking the cushions on the sofa to be straight in the evening before you go up etc.

Edited by benjamin
  • 9 months later...

I've just watched an episode of Obsessive Compulsive Cleaners, I remember watching it years ago when I didn't have/wasn't diagnosed with OCD and thinking, that's not really a disorder is it, she just loves cleaning. But the newer episodes are a bit different. 

They have put more of an emphasis on saying 'some people with OCD' rather than making out OCD is just cleaning and hand washing. 

Some of the cleaners on here definitely do have OCD as well. For instance Hayley has said she is terrified if she doesn't clean her kids will die, but she doesn't want to live like this. Saying that I still don't think the programme goes about it the right way. 

Another 'cleaner' was called Fiona and she mentioned it's like having a little voice on her shoulder telling her she has to clean, and even if she doesn't want to it always wins. 

It's still an awful programme and should go into detail about OCD as an illness rather than the cleaning techniques used.

On ‎02‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 21:35, biscuitcat said:

For instance Hayley has said she is terrified if she doesn't clean her kids will die, but she doesn't want to live like this.

If it is the same Hayley as from earlier episodes, I would take that comment with a pinch of salt, otherwise why would she keep taking part in the programme?

Ah okay. I havent watched too many. From my memory the two women I remember had short red and blonde hair and loved to make things shiny. 

You're right though, I dont know why you would keep going on the programme. But I suppose we dont know what sort of therapy she receives externally. I dont know.