Crazy dreams on meds!!

Guest MajesticShannon

Guest MajesticShannon

Hi everyone,

does anyone else experience really messed up dreams on meds??. I get these all the time, and they seem a lot more intense than 'normal' dreams, and can often feel very real - which is why im writing this, cos last night i had a shocker and am still trying to work out if what i remember were dreams or actually happened censored.gif - a downside of medication i guess - but still freakin me out a bit!!

Hi

I dont know if medication can effect out dream, but have realised that since taking my tablets I have had some dreams that feel very real. In fact in my dream yesterday I was lashing out at someone and I physically punched my wall whilst sleeping.

I wouldnt worry too much, I know that as it feels real to you it may become a little worrying, but just remember they are only dreams.

Smile x

Yeah - what smile said!

I have the same problem so the doc recommended a sleeping tablet called Propavan. When I took this regularly last year, it really helped but I tended to sleep for long periods so this year I haven't taken them quite as regularly because of my job being so important to me. The doc then suggested that if I was feeling stressed or afraid of sleeping (due to nightmares) I should maybe just take half a pill and go to bed earlier than I would normally do so.

Oh - and avoid alcohol, chocolate, cheese, milk and 'recreational' drugs whilst on medication, apparently............

So - if the next day you're trying to sift through the emotions that these dreams bring on, remember that it's just a dream, no matter how real it feels - focus instead when you wake up on something that is very real.

This morning it was my cat and my kitten who helped me drag myself out of bed and out of the dream world. I was then able to engage emotionally and in a very positive way first thing in the morning.

I challenge you to do the same and NOT feel anything other than "Aaaaaaaw they are so CUUUUUTE!" wink.gif You'd forget the dreams immediately wink.gif

Take care.

/me

Guest Lizbeth

Heya...I get this too. I have really WEIRD dreams on my meds...sometimes ok but a lot of the time kinda of unpleasant involving being hurt or molested etc....I'm sure there is a scientific reason why this happens to do with the part of the brain anti-depressants etc engage with.....I slept walked a few weelks ago and I've never done that before. I have a lot of dreams to do with being chased, hurt and violated.....not nice. 24/7 is right...try to avoid alcohol...it seems to make the worse. On the plus side, I did have a dream about dancing, cartoon hippos the other night which was weird but entertaining. blushing.gif

Guest Dragonfruit
Hi everyone,

does anyone else experience really messed up dreams on meds??.  I get these all the time, and they seem a lot more intense than 'normal' dreams, and can often feel very real - which is why im writing this, cos last night i had a shocker and am still trying to work out if what i remember were dreams or actually happened censored.gif -  a downside of medication i guess - but still freakin me out a bit!!

64565[/snapback]

God, yeah - all the time.

I've never had dreams so vivid, or horrid, or scary, or upsetting, or "real" in my life. I've woken up in tears more times in the past six months than I had in the previous (ahem) however many years!

BUT - they're just dreams - they can't hurt you - and no matter how awful they are - they're not real - they are not representative of any feelings you may have - they're just another side-effect of the meds. Like the night-sweats - which are also pretty horrendous I might add.

I really know how horrid they can make you feel - utterly drained and very fragile - but they aren't real - ignore them and move on with the rest of the day. Don't stay in bed and dwell - try and distract yourself as soon as you wake up. Bouncy music whilst you're exercising or in the shower - or something decent on the TV - walk outside to get the paper - anything that'll take your mind off them - they'll fade and you'll feel stronger.

Don't let them make you afraid to go to bed either - this will just make you anxious and more likely to have sleep disturbances.

(Oh and I prob shouldn't admit this at my ripe old age - but teddy helps me through the really rough nights blushing.gif )

I'm wondering what meds you are on mate. I can remember quite a while back there being a post on here about certain meds giving you weird dreams, in particular Lustral. When i first started on the higher dosage of this i had some seriously bizarre dreams (still do). But yeah, these are just dreams and will only hurt if you give them far too much attention.

Adam

Guest MajesticShannon

thanks everyone for the comments..,

they did fade over the day, especially as work took my mind of it (just found other things to worry about instead:censored: a1_cheesygrin.gif )

Im taking fluoxetine 40/d, but i was driving to the pub last night, so im thinking the 3 pints of coke plus meds was probly the reason - not got proof of that, but too much caffeine can do weird stuff to me!!

(Oh and I prob shouldn't admit this at my ripe old age - but teddy helps me through the really rough nights )

I like your honesty fruity!!!! - mine too. laugh.gif

Guest AnxiousCarolyn

Yup i get this really odd dreams and the next day i feel scared and anxious cause the dream felt so real. I am on buspirione and i take diazepam sum times may have sum fink 2 do wiv it.

Carolyn