'Innocent people don't confess...'

Hi plodding on but feeling horrible and agitated, every little thing seems to be getting to me at the minute. I can feel myself worrying about my mum again, kids, dad, me, false memory, my relationship. I'm doubting my friends, my actions, my intentions...just everything. I feel stressed, tired and weepy..so I think rather than keep off loading on you guys i'll try and and ride it all out for now (although I'm not sure how). I scared this is me for ever, I really am. Wishing you lots of love and strength x

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ride it out my friend, happens to all of us. Try not connecting with all these strands of worry and focusing on what you can beneficially and practically do in the present.

Edited by taurean

Hiya

Wasn't going to respond because it's not going great. Not sure if you seen my last post on here but that's how I've been feeling. Didn't want to write because it's all pretty negative but feel ignorant if I don't :(

Thank you for asking tho x

Edited by Saz

I think it's important to differentiate between exposure and avoidance.

I reckon actual exposure and response prevention needs the right context to be successful - a platform where one is fairly strong going into it, sits with the anxiety but recognises that is a result of the meaning being given to the intrusions, so we sit with that resisting the compulsion without connecting or believing the meaning being suggested, then after that exposure we allow ourselves time to recover then get back to everyday life again.

Next time in the ERP maybe the anxiety is lower.

And we periodically repeat until the anxiety reduces right down as too the power of the emotional response.

To do that beneficially in my view we need to be in a reasonable state before, and ultimately afterwards.

Edited by taurean

Not sure if I totally agree with this, Roy - we have disagreed before on this I know. If Saz waits til she recognises this as an intrusive thought she will never start. She needs to be aggressively attacking this in my opinion despite the doubt and anxiety - all other methods have failed over the last several years.

Yes if she was in a good enough state to progress - she thinks not just right now because a spread of things are bugging her and she is at a low ebb.

So yes to non-avoidance since that sets up restrictive rules, but maybe ride out the overall overpowering issues dragging her down,then jump back on the ERP horse in the emotional state conducive to success?

Edited by taurean

Yes it certainly would ginger. As I say apologise for being quiet on here...I was trying hard not to post as a compulsion aswell..just embarrassed and annoyed that I'm feeling this way. Hope everyone is ok x