'Innocent people don't confess...'

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This exchange shows exactly what Orwell Ginger and I mean Saz.

You already know what to do but you open up a new thread!

This just leads to people trying to help and making a post,but without the full story and understanding so in fact not helping at all.

Then you can't ignore it, even though we tell you to. Why is that?

Please remember the wonderful guidance and advice you have been given and don't give these thoughts,and the connections your brain is making, any belief!

Hi I'm feeling a bit stressed out.

I managed to not post for a couple days even though I've wanted to. I was stuck yesterday and day before on questioning why I felt so bad about it all at the time (when I first thought this) and remembering how sick I felt that it was real, feeling like a fraud sat in the Dr's etc..

Not after reassurance just venting..If that's ok..had a bit of a stressful morning and feeling pretty exhausted.

Hope everyones ok x

Hi franklin

I don't think I did get triggered specifically, the thought just came to me I think, then I just dwelled on it for a while. The feeling for me is always there lurking in the background. When I say feeling I mean the feeling that I'm a horrible human because of my 'false memory'. X

Ok so the thought came to you, then obviously the 'dwelling on if for a while' was your big mistake. You have to decide in advance that you will not dwell on it. If the urge to dwell strikes, have a planned distraction to do. Regardless of all your doubts/arguments about you feel you do need to work this out, you have to ignore all that. Ignore how serious you think it was. Ignore all the counter arguments that you will throw at yourself. Fully commit to not dwelling on this for a second. You have to start starving this of oxygen else it's just going to carry on.

Hi Saz,

Franklin is right, you engaged with it again and it's brought you back here. I'm so sorry you're feeling like this. It sucks. It can get better though.

Hang in there and follow the advice- no engaging with it.

Hope you feel a bit better.

Binxy

Ok so when you tried to not ruminate, what happened? Did you consciously think 'I'm not going to ruminate about this'? Did you get a surge of anxiety? Did you then think 'I really do need to ruminate' or did you just find yourself doing that?

Hi gbg

Yes I totally see that I'm ruminating 100% no question.x

Franklin, I just found myself doing it, I did get a bit of a wave or surge of anxiety too. I still carried on with my normal day and got stuck in to making the kids some world book day costumes but still...x

I realise those two above sentences seem like a contradiction..I hope yous know what I mean x

Edited by Saz

It is usually your catch-all rumination question at the end of the post that knocks us out Saz!

But nothing..... Leave it all be, don't give these intrusions the time of day - seriously start determining to do this - they are just thoughts from our mutual disorder and your themes are just the way it expresses itself.

You can't just switch them off in this moment, but believe me - and as others have told you -it CAN be done by applying the psychological method we have given to you.

Edited by taurean

I have a question, Saz.... how come you always put false memory in quotes? (you always say "false memory")?

I suspect it's because you don't want to commit to it being a false memory because you don't want to call it that without 100% certainty. (Which, as you know, you can never get). I think you're saying 'false memory' while doing air quotes, just in case it isn't. I think it's the equivalent of your age old but what if...

I challenge you just to call it what it is: a false memory, OCD, whatever. Despite the doubt you feel.

Just declare to us "I suffer from OCD, this is a false memory" without using any quotes, or saying 'but', or 'what if' or anything else. Say it even if you doubt it.

Thanks Roy. X

Gbg that is so strange because only today I thought to myself that one of these days someone is going to question why I put it in quotes! Yes your right that's exactly why I do it x

Oh right..feel a bit like I'm at one of those AA meetings..not that I've ever been to one but just from watching them on films...and if anyone has been I'm not saying it's bad or anything, it's actually a good thing..sorry I'm rambling...

I suffer from OCD,this is a false memory.x

Now you treat as OCD - starting with a 100% commitment to not trying to work it out any more, not ruminating, not planning for what you would do/say if your worst fear comes true (this is to make you feel better and is keeping you stuck). Do you have any plans on how you will occupy your mind rather than ruminate? The aim from now is to allow the anxiety to be there - so agree with the thought (I know I know it's hard) but then DO NOT do anything to make yourself feel better. I kept a chart noting down the intensity of the anxiety and then how long it took for the anxiety to come down each time. It helped to see my progress. Give it a try and let us know how you get on. You need to expect a huge surge of anxiety because you're not doing your compulsions. But just accept that the anxiety is there, don't try to fight it, and know that it WILL subside. Seriously give it a try and let us know how it went.

Hi legend.

I seem to do ok until I get triggered. I have had some therapy but it didn't do that much to help. I can't go on like this, it will be 4 years this year of absolute torture over one blasted intrusive thought that I can't see past and that I believe is true or has some truth to it. x

Guest wecanbeatthis

Hi all. 1st post so be brief. Had 5 episodes of OCD all directly related to major stress in my life. Done the confessing, returning to jobs 19yrs old, got Aids etc, interested in children. Each time i come through i wonder what was all that about? Life back to normal, life and soul, always active.

Everything back at present due to stress. I have the moral religous issue back. Saz everytime i am suffering i have the thought i am going to have a flashback to something i have done to a child etc....this then becomes so debilitating. Never found anything and when back to normal i know this. To me its my OCD. Thanks everyone and nice to know not alone.