'Innocent people don't confess...'

Yes I would think you should Orwell.

But remember not to analyse or try to look for reasons and answers before during or after - and after each session wind down with distraction and something enjoyable to help you recover.

Edited by taurean
  • Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thankyou Roy. Not that I don't value your opinion (because I do, a lot) I'm gonna put this question out there in a separate thread to see what the pros and cons of doing this might be for my situation. I'm leaning towards your decision though.

Hiya

I have just been doing mini exercises, for example when doing the dishes, I purposely thought about my false memory but didn't react to it and just carried on as normal. Also when walking along the road today I've been thinking that I'm a criminal and I'm roaming free, I tried my best not to react although I did feel horrible for a short while. X

Thanks binx. Hope your ok?

I have a couple of friends who sadly have been a bit funny with me due to the fact that I didnt go out with them in December for one of there 30th. If you remember I wrote specifically about this at the time and I said I was worried about not going BUT it was about 2 weeks after my mum had suffered her brain hemorrhage and I didn't feel up to going and I was pretty run down myself. I felt extremely guilty about this but I was just too worried about my mum and I had made myself ill through worry. One friend was pressuring me to go but I didn't and I feel that I made the right choice considering. Anyway I went out for tea locally a few nights later with some friends and invited the above 2 mentioned friends - but they couldn't make it. I felt a little better in myself and because it was 2 minutes away in could be back incase of an emergency. My mum had finished her medication to so the risk of a vasospasm was minimal, so I felt I could relax a little bit more. I sent my friends who birthday it was loads of texts apologising sooo much for not being able to go that night (it was out of our town too).

These friends coincidentally are the only 2 that know about my false memory. They've known for years but with one of them I've always had a anxious fear of if I don't message them or I don't hear back from them then this false memory has come true or they aren't speaking to me etc etc..

I'm aware I'm going into a lot of detail here but I just want to know if you think a) I should have gone to my friends birthday?

B) as an exposure exercise should I not message them? I don't mean not message them in a nasty petty way but as part of my exposure and anxiety? So obviously if I genuinely want to messaga then I should but I shouldn't just because I feel anxiety about it all?

Hope that makes sense. It has caused me a lot of upset and I've been wondering who's at fault. It came to major blows on a night out weeks ago when I was told o should have been there on that 30th! I was really upset.

So sorry to go on and I know this all sounds confusing!

Thanks again for everything x

Edited by Saz

I'll have a go at answering your questions...

a) I should have gone to my friends birthday?

My view is you were completely justified not going, you had just experienced a major shock and you were understandable upset and worried. I wouldn't have gone either.

B) as an exposure exercise should I not message them? I don't mean not message them in a nasty petty way but as part of my exposure and anxiety? So obviously if I genuinely want to messaga then I should but I shouldn't just because I feel anxiety about it all?

Yes, I think you should absolutely not message them unless it's because you want to for other reasons. NOT as a way of gaining reassurance that they're not being funny with you, etc.

I'm really pleased to see you asking the right kinds of questions, Saz :) I don't mean that in a patronising way - it's just really good to see you trying to get a handle on it.

Keep going with this - don't be discouraged if it doesn't work for a while, don't think 'it's not working, it must be real' etc etc. Keep going, be strong, keep at it for the long haul - and in time, you'll be free. x

Awww Gingerbreadgirl you have really put a massive smile on my face with your kind comments. Your so encouraging and positive - thank you.

Yes I'll be careful not to message as a way of reassurance. I don't think many people would have gone in that situation either.

P.s. just noticed all the grammar mistakes etc on that above post, I was typing in a rush (as usual) plus this phone and it's predictive text is so annoying! X

Well done Saz

And GBG great guidance.

The predictive text on the phone divides opinion I think - I am OK with it as it speeds up responses and helps with spellchecking - and I keep learning more about how best to use it, but I have time on my side to do that!

Thanks Roy.

Been tryibh so hard but had a bit of a wobble today guys. Seen a news story that just happened to pop up on my news feed on facebook. I've tried my best to ignore this but I will be honest and I did personalise it to my situation...really sorry. I'm plodding on though and trying not to react anymore than I already have. Just thought I'd let you know how I'm getting on x

Just a wobble Saz and you know now why these neural connections get made.

Your response is correct well done. Don't connect don't give any meaning to it.

Get on with normality :thumbup:

I've just been trying to not react to thoughts about the false memory when they come to me. I've had a few this weekend actually, which has been tough, but I have done quite well. I've been a bit busy so not really had time to do a big exposure. I've literally just sat down now so feel like just trying to relax a little bit but I will do some tomorrow x