'Innocent people don't confess...'

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Snowbear I'm not after reassurance but if i can just say that the feeling or urge came the very next day and that's another reason that keeps me stuck because it's almost like a 'you done something wrong' feeling, a 'real' guilt feeling that happened straight away and I have had those before so I know what they feel like.

Anyways no need to reassure me, I know what I should be doing.

Gbg you might be right about me not quite understanding how this works....There is no other explanation as to why I'm stuck if this is simply ocd false memory

Appreciate your help everyone thank you x

that's another reason that keeps me stuck

I've heard you say this probably hundreds of times. You think you're stuck because it happened straight away, or because you've never had a false memory before, or because you'd been drinking, or because you have images... etc etc etc.

There is just ONE reason you're stuck and it's because you won't stop doing compulsions.

I know what I should be doing.

There is no other explanation as to why I'm stuck

Do you know what you should be doing, Saz? I'm not convinced.

What you need to be doing is finding a different explanation for the urges you feel and for the memory which upsets you.

Yet time after time you insist there is only one possible explanation.

You interpret your your uncomfortable feelings as a sign the thought has validity.

You interpret your difficulty in stopping compulsions as a sign the memory is true.

You've been given alternative explanations, but time after time you reject them out of hand. You prefer to believe the feelings and urges are signs that support the memory as true.

That's your choice to make, but you'll stay stuck until you open your mind to alternative explanations. And it is a choice you're making. You're choosing short-term relief over long-term freedom every single time you give in to the compulsion to go over the memory in your head looking for signs to confirm or disprove it.

Saz, Just to add to that, the meanings and the connections the disorder is giving the thought are being given credence even over and above the testimony of recovered sufferers.

Saz, see this and the above from snowy, and please make a note of this too - it will remind you of what you need to do, and what happens if you don't.

Thanks for that Downtherabbithole.

We tend to forget, when tied up in our troubles, that this disorder operates in very distinct ways. What we think is unique to us is just another sufferer's experience of its working, with our especial theme.

We need no particular skills or intellect to get better; we simply need to follow the guidance of those in the know - and ignore the urges of what we are told is the disorder.

There is no "rocket science" here - no need to be an Einstein. Just believe and do as suggested.

Edited by taurean

Thank you Roy. I wish you could all believe me when I say I'm trying and I really an not thinking about the 'false memory' or the horrible image/scenario. It's definately more of a feeling in me now and I suspect that it's because it's such a distressing thing and also because of how long I've thought about it all.

There is a truly awful storyline on at the moment on one of the soaps and it just makes me feel so sick automatically when I here of it. What I think now is that even if I don relate it to my false memory conciously, I am just so sensitive to this kind of stuff that it just catches me out and plays on my mind.

Not sure if I ever told you about the night I had ruined almost years ago before all this) because of a story I'd read in the newspaper, not only could I not get it out my mind but I took on the personal guilt of it all, even though it was totally unrelated to me in any way, shape or form. It's just crazy isn't it and scary.

X

Edited by Saz

It's definately more of a feeling in me now and I suspect that it's because it's such a distressing thing and also because of how long I've thought about it all.

It's only a distressing thing to you. Most people would have dismissed the thought as irrelevant long ago. The reason you haven't is because you have OCD.

You have thought about it for a long time. Three years if my recollection is right. All that thinking was a compulsion and I'm betting you still do it today because you still seek for certainty you can never have.

Hi polar.

No I don't think on it as I say I'm just walking around with this horrible, terrible guilt feeling inside. I can't escape seeing things that sicken me and make me feel worse on the telly/media. On the soaps there is a horrific storyline, today in the news there is more of the same and then I'm seeing these videos pop up on face book and news articles of children being taken away from families unessacerrily then I get really upset because I think how sad and distressing it is for them and then I think of my kids...Sorry just need some words of comfort x

Its probably a bit of both...I think I have what Roy has where I'm very sensitive to certain stories and pictures but yes it also makes me feel like my false memorie is true. And I start massively worrying about my children and imagine if they got tok away etc etc..x

Morning, Saz. I also get triggered by stuff in the media and on tv and if I'm not careful I find myself drawn into compulsions. The guilt feeling will pass as long as you make sure that you're not doing compulsions. I know this is so hard but does get better. Sorry I can't help more- I'm feeling pretty pants this morning too. Keep at it Saz- you'll get there.

Its probably a bit of both

imagine if they got tok away

Saz - both of these things are examples of why you remain stuck. You look for short term comfort. You ruminate, you analyse, you try to find a solution to this terrible problem.

Do you want to remain trapped in this situation forever? I'm guessing no.

But by constantly trying to feel better in the short term - by trying to solve it - you are keeping yourself stuck.

You will never be free of this if you keep trying to obtain comfort. You have to decide to be uncomfortable for a long time and stop trying to resolve it or make it go away.

You will never be better if you try to solve it or find comfort. You will only get better once you decide to stop trying to find any answers.

Be honest with yourself Saz - really honest - and start getting better. xx

I'm trying I really I am I can promise I do not sit here and try to remember anymore but I can help getting triggered or whatever, it's the constant feeling I have bit it's not because I'm trying to work it out. So I guess I need to not try and react to these 'triggers' and just feel anxious x

Hiya I don't want to hijack the other thread as it's not really fair to do so.

I just wanted to say that I do listen and I don't think I'm a special case or anything like that.

I'm sat worrying now that this is all because of post traumatic stress and this is why I kept getting images and why it's so powerful because I've got ptsd from a real event.

I'm trying not to overly think about this and hoping this will fade and that it's just another stupid intrusion x

Why are you listening to this Saz? We have told you many times it will try such tricks - why will you not believe us?

And for me, the high compulsive urge upon the sufferer towards these kind of "explanations", plus all the doubt and uncertainty, are prima facie evidence that OCD is to blame!!!