Dirty Filthy Love

I agree about laughing at it ourselves - I know I've laughed at some of the stupid things I have done. I just didn't like the way it made it sound as if the illness was something to be laughed at that's all. But like I said the drama was very well written and portrayed - just wish I had recorded it!

Donut

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 30yrsecret

Hello all, forgive me if I mention something that is already mentioned.

firstly I would like to say, this was major coverage for ocd, which must be good and for the film makers to take on this topic must have found it challenging.

I lately watched a beautiful mind, a fantastic film, I know a million pound plus budget, but expectations was high if I thought it would potray a sufferers experiences in the same way, but I guess at the begining of last nights film I hoped the my family would learn something about how it is to live with this disorder, instead I feel I need to explain to them now that it's not how I am (because truly all that the only experience of it I have).

I wish the character was shown trying to maintain his life instead of dropping out of life, after all most of us keep fighting and try to continue the best we know how, also one of the characters was shown to be un trustworthy with his own child, my fear is that if this program is someones only experience of ocd sufferers its not a good one, imagine you in job interview, and they see that you have ocd on your application form, what this film help you?, and the character stalking his wife was totally unesessary, it confusses obesessive with persessive please forgive my spelling (ashie) any chance of a spell check on this.

30yrsecret

Guest Tommasar

Hmm, this film was a bit extreme me thinks...

They all had contamination issues- a form of OCD which I for one don't suffer from, and I feel that they rolled too many problems into one with the main character, making 'OCD' seem much less common than it actually is. Still, it raises awareness about it...

But like I said the drama was very well written and portrayed - just wish I had recorded it!

Donut

15694[/snapback]

On that question can someone ring Granada and find out if it will be released on DVD or Video.

I have been asked about it already, but not had chance to call them yet.

Guest 30yrsecret

yes it would have shown the strength of character, instead of showing what might be percieved as weakness of character, find myself trying to explain that to people.

I noticed there was one or two members that joined up yesterday, do you think that is because of the film?

yes it would have shown the strength of character, instead of showing what might be percieved as weakness of character, find myself trying to explain that to people.

I noticed there was one or two members that joined up yesterday, do you think that is because of the film?

15699[/snapback]

Yes indeed, I have spoke to people all day who have pledged to join and make donations.

Regardless of the rights or wrongs of the film it has put a lot of people in touch with OCD and made them understand it has a name. So from an awareness point of view it has done an amazing job.

That awareness has highlighted some floors in OCD-UK's ability to handle that amount of calls though, so much work to be done.

Hi

I have phoned Granada and after being given the run around and different people to phone, I got hold of one person who said that you can buy it on Video but its £297 I asked if there was any discount for a charity as its about what we suffer with and she gave me another number which is only on answerphone at the moment.

Will update when I can get through to other number.

She also didn't know if it was going to be released on Video or DVD, or even repeated.

Ferret

Hi

I have phoned Granada and after being given the run around and different people to phone, I got hold of one person who said that you can buy it on Video but its £297 I asked if there was any discount for a charity as its about what we suffer with and she gave me another number which is only on answerphone at the moment.

Will update when I can get through to other number.

She also didn't know if it was going to be released on Video or DVD, or even repeated.

Ferret

15702[/snapback]

Thanks Mark, I will follow up later in week.

yep like a lot of u guys i feel there were good points and bad points about it, a lot of this has been said before but just to go over... :tongue:

it raised awareness of ocd, but i'm not sure it was all the kind of awareness we want... a good point is that after this movie would you like to announce to your boss that u have ocd? how about ure ex-girlfriend? how do you think the government would be about steps 'to keep dangerous lunatics off the streets' after this film? hardly inspires you to go tell your doctor... :)

on the plus side it probably did make some people recognise their behaviour so maybe find out more about it and see if they have it (I know i was relieved when i found out that i was not the only one, when i accidently read about it on the internet about 8 years ago). :)

but to non-ocd people, it did portray us as potentially dangerous people who ought to be locked up (which we're not) ... :)

I also think it was a mistake casting the main character with tourette's AND ocd. understanding one of them is a big enough issue, to put both of them there confused which was which. and the 2 main characters are kind of instantly recognisable as 'crackpots' (perhaps for the mtv generation channel hoppers to recognise the looneys), whereas in reality you would be hard pushed to recognise most ocd sufferers, largely because we learn to hide it so well. :lol:

it also didn't convey the emotional pain of it enough, they should have showed the main character crying and stuff like that a lot more.

but in the end it was obvious the film makers had 'good intentions', they didn't sacrifice too much to make the film more 'audience friendly', and it might have been difficult to foresee the less good impressions created until the film had been put together.

Guest Hippychick

I didn't like it

Well, I like that it promoted awareness and I like that its put people in touch with OCD and I do get why they had to make it dramatic or people might not have found it quite so interesting. But the second half was just too far for me. Although i did like the guy who kept turning the lights out in the group....and the guy with "one word...salmonella" too close to something I would say!

x

Guest Newbloke

Hi. I posted on here last night and I just want to make my views clearer. I do feel that it went a bit far with the characters. I know they wanted to show the many differnt kinds of OCD but they did make OCD sufferers seem dangerous. It did raise awarness which is brilliant. It was great for people who didn't know what was wrong with them and thought they were going mad and that they were the only ones like this. I used to be one of them. Now they might have more of an idea what is wrong with them and that they are not alone and that is great. My concern is about the people who do not suffer from it and don't know what it is. They might think that was a typical OCD suffer and if you have OCD you will end up like that. So I just wanted to say it was great that prime time TV was given over to OCD and realy pleased a feature length drama was made on the subject. I just hope that people don't get the wrong idea about OCD. On a brighter note I thought the man having trouble getting up stairs to get to the support group and complaining that he keeps telling them to move it to a room on the bottom floor was very funny. I could relate to that. Newbloke

Guest Tommasar

15699[/snapback]

Yes indeed, I have spoke to people all day who have pledged to join and make donations.

Regardless of the rights or wrongs of the film it has put a lot of people in touch with OCD and made them understand it has a name. So from an awareness point of view it has done an amazing job.

That awareness has highlighted some floors in OCD-UK's ability to handle that amount of calls though, so much work to be done.

15701[/snapback]

Hehe, yes...while I thought the programme sort of stereotypical-fied OCD sufferers, it was a review of this connected to a short paragraph on OCD that made me aware that I wasn't alone in this world of compulsions...though my case is nowhere near as extreme as the main character's in the film.

Hi All,

I just wanted to add another bit in on here also about what i still think about the programme. I know alot of you have expressed concerns about non-ocders portraying an ocder as a complete lunatic, but the public can be really niave at times, yes we may be seen as a bit eccentric in our ways but on the other hand we know what we are like i think us as ocders are too sensitive about this.

Ian that wrote this drama suffered hell with his ocd yet he does this programme because he is laughing in the face of ocd and helping us laugh at how ridiculous it is too. Yes ocd is very disabling at times and horribly cruel too, but come out the other side with your impartial spectator and you can see how terribly cruel this is and how funny too.

The people with tourettes i will be the first to admit in the past when i was younger i would've laughed if someone blurted out things like that. I remember when i was 18 i was working in a shop in edinburgh and out in the street i had to stand one day selling these shoes and this woman was walking past these people shouting obscenities at them and she walked past me and called me a name i won't repeat and at first i found her quite frightening and then i thought weirdo. How awful is that but that's how i was so the public would be like that anyway, but if any of them have read about the programme then they will see that the writer is an ocder and is easing the public into what ocd is like by introducing it in a funny way.

I know alot of you will be frustrated by this but how else is the public going to learn about it and other ocders out there who are suffering in silence Ian could only do so much for tv to air this kind of programme he had to make it entertaining after all he is an actor and he knows what the public like.

I hope no-one is upset by this, i just had to say a bit more about the programme as it was great to watch something about ocd instead of the usual programmes on tv that we all get bored watching anyway but no-one complains so much about them.

Loads of love

Tracy

xxxxx

15699[/snapback]

I found this site because I was looking for a review of the film. Personally, I identified more with the young woman with OCD than with the bloke who had OCD and Tourettes. I'm glad some of my friends have seen it or will get to see it, but I feel I will have to explain a few things.

While I was here, I decided to join up. :)

Zorg

Hi all

I have been asked to find out how many people would be interesting in purchasing a copy of Dirty Filthy Love. We will then make enquries as to if we can obtain the copies.

If you could put your replies on this thread, I would be very thankful.

Regards

Ferret