Dirty Filthy Love

Guest 30yrsecret

yes Ashie you can list anything I have said,

just another point about the film, it accured to me as I left my house this morning, that possibly my neighbours would now realise why I go back and check the door endlessly and the other things I do, just a thought, but for the record 'I am what I am and what I am needs no excuses' not sure what song thats from.

Hello Zorg welcome to this site.

30yrsecret

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest polarprincess

i have noticed that alot of the concerns raised about the film are around what others may think.

whilst i know we are all human and this matters to us, can we not work on the degree to which it matters?

if someone thinks you are crazy on the basis of a programme then that is there own lack of intelligence/there own fear/or ignorance.

i understand that we crave the understanding of those that are close, and should this not be found it is very distressing, however in terms of the average joe on the street- do you think he saves his ignorance for ocd? and i would argue that his lack of understanding will, in the end, trip him up, you are able and strong enough to limit the damage it causes to you. i make this point on the basis that we are all sufferers and that in terms means we are incredibly strong, and alot more able than sometimes we belive.

if someone doesn't have knowledge about something, if someone doesn't allow themselves to perceive a risk, than they are able to pasify themselves. whot i mean by this is that, sometimes - mostly! i find people choosing to belive that people with mental illness's are weak, idle, and could pull themselves together.

now ask yourselves, if you truely belived that, you would be more able to say ' it will never be an issue for me - i'd sort myself out ' for alot of people it is an easier approch to life than accepting it may well happen.

people generally like to keep themselves rapped up in cotton wool.

when somone insults me, that is what i see, an individual who is choosing to belive something that is easier to swollow.

that is there problem.

i could see peoples feelings around the thoughts as that is my main issue :) and it is the hardest thing to deal with, in response to that, no i don't talk about it. and if i did i know people wouldn't understand at all and that is why i am here, because i am starting to feel that i am not the only one, i am going to people who do understand.

i have been invovled with the mental health system for some time from both sides and maybe i am a bit synical but i am grateful for the programme.

at the end of the working week my friends, it was better than nothing.

with regard to the female charater and someone's

(sorry forget who posted it :thumbup: ) feelings - that she was rude. i found her to be real, she was hacked off with this illness, now that is something i can identify with, i would have hated the characters to be shown in a passive, meek way, that is whot i love about 'as good as it gets', this may be down to the size of my mouth though, in truth.

belive me it could have been worse, i have bi-polar - did you see :mad2: 'nip tuck's' :mad2:

portrayal of that illness? or 'six feet under's' :mad2: they were absolutly appalling :mad2: , the only other person i can think of is jimmy corkhill of brookside,now whot is that about?????????????

anyway these are only my thoughts, i don't wont to offend anyone :( , and hope they will be taken with the right intention.

best wishes to you all, its a long hard fight and things as we know are never perfect.

PPx

ps i am ill in a cold type sense and fed up, just thought you should all know! :(

It sounds like the program has really raised awareness which makes it a success in those terms but I agree with people on here who say the program was over the top! Would everyone really have wet wipes on them at the same time?

Although well acted and funny I dont think the program was really in touch with reality! I have been to OCD groups and they were nothing like what they showed in the drama! I didn't like the fact that the guy was obsessed with the woman as non sufferes may read things into this that are not the case! feel free to use this,

waul

Would everyone really have wet wipes on them at the same time?

15814[/snapback]

You have not been out with people with contimination OCD have you? :thumbup: I thought that was one of the funniest bits and had me in stiches :)

But back to what I said earlier, it is a drama and not a documentary.

Guest potatosalad

I thought the film was good in parts, dreadful in others but overall gave a good representation of ocd (if a little over dramatised).

I liked the beginning of it, which showed how someone who has ocd but is unaware of it manages in life. I thought it was a good portrayal of a person in this situation, which I am sure, is something many of us can relate to.

I thought the bit with the doctor was great as it really showed how ignorant many are in the medical profession and how difficult it is for those with ocd to get good help in dealing with the condition. :)

When he finds out he has ocd and tourettes it comes as a relief to find out that other people suffer from the same thing, again very true to life.

The part where he is reading out his ocd symptoms in the group and also describing them to his flatmates was brilliant, really touching and superbly done, showing what it is like to suffer from ocd. :mad2:

It annoyed me how they skimmed over the cbt part in the pub and failed to mention that it CAN be treated successfully. I also found it difficult that finding out he had ocd he does nothing about it and actually gets WORSE rather than better after he has found out.

I also did not like the way if made most of the characters out to be freaks but I suppose most portrayals of mental health are like this so in a way it is nothing new. :thumbup:

The bit when he is locked up in his flat rewinding the wedding video was silly, seemingly trying to turn him into Howard Hughs. The actual story between the two main characters with really annoying and the ending was pretty poor as well. :mad2:

Overall I thought it was good as it got more publicity for ocd and did a great job of showing what it is like to suffer from it. The actors did a good job and the lead was great, managing to play a difficult part very well. A bit a shame the plot was not better and did not show him getting treatment, but hey, you cant have everything. :mad2:

I thought the film was good in parts, dreadful in others but overall gave a good representation of ocd (if a little over dramatised).

I liked the beginning of it, which showed how someone who has ocd but is unaware of it manages in life. I thought it was a good portrayal of a person in this situation, which I am sure, is something many of us can relate to.

I thought the bit with the doctor was great as it really showed how ignorant many are in the medical profession and how difficult it is for those with ocd to get good help in dealing with the condition.  :)

When he finds out he has ocd and tourettes it comes as a relief to find out that other people suffer from the same thing, again very true to life.

The part where he is reading out his ocd symptoms in the group and also describing them to his flatmates was brilliant, really touching and superbly done, showing what it is like to suffer from ocd.  :mad2:

It annoyed me how they skimmed over the cbt part in the pub and failed to mention that it CAN be treated successfully. I also found it difficult that finding out he had ocd he does nothing about it and actually gets WORSE rather than better after he has found out.

I also did not like the way if made most of the characters out to be freaks but I suppose most portrayals of mental health are like this so in a way it is nothing new.  :thumbup:

The bit when he is locked up in his flat rewinding the wedding video was silly, seemingly trying to turn him into Howard Hughs. The actual story between the two main characters with really annoying and the ending was pretty poor as well.  :mad2:

Overall I thought it was good as it got more publicity for ocd and did a great job of showing what it is like to suffer from it. The actors did a good job and the lead was great, managing to play a difficult part very well. A bit a shame the plot was not better and did not show him getting treatment, but hey, you cant have everything. :mad2:

15835[/snapback]

Very good, well balanced review PS, can I add it to the site?

I finally managed to watch this film last night. I was actually quite disappointed by the film in general as I feel it portrayed OCD sufferers as being very odd.

Having said that I think that parts were well done and extremely well acted.

The bits I thought were good were

- when he was describing the broken glass incident

- him reading his thoughts aloud - to his friends and the group

- the Trich reveal

I have been to a couple of the London get togethers and anyone looking would never guess there was anything wrong with us.
I don't think I have ever looked at someone's behaviour at a support group and felt "yep they have ocd".

In the support group that I go to, people have a range of OCD types - although two or three of us have contamination fears they are manifested in very different ways. I really don't think that anyone looking at our group would know it is a 'self help' group but would see us as a group of friends having a chat.

I agree with Catch 22 who said they would now be reluctant to admit to having OCD since people at work (or wherever) may have seen the play and have a totally wrong perception of the condition.

However, it has raised the profile of OCD and probably helped loads of people to identify their own problem, and as FF said,

If only 5 people who watched decided to get help then it was worth it, but I suspect many more than that will be coming out of the woodwork.

I also, sadly agree with Ashie's point that,

a few more thousand may be made aware they have OCD, but that will simply add to the crowded waiting lists.

So I think overall the outcome is positive in terms of giving OCD a lot of coverage and helping some people to recognise the condition either in themselves or in others.

whitebeam

(This is my second version of this - my computer jammed half way through the first one - which was much better than this ramble :thumbup: )

Hi All,

Well the film/drama has certainly enabled much discussion - which can only be a good thing.

I posted a while back re this film and was not wholly impressedalthough am glad it has enabled some people to recognise their illness. In response to pp - when I said I thought the woman was rude (yes - that was me, and no I am not in anyway offended :thumbup: ) what I meant was with my type of OCD I would go home and worry about that for days (have to apologise etc etc). I agree that we should be portrayed realistically, but to be honest I don't feel the film portrayed this. Although in agreement with Whitebeam I did like the scenes re the 'glass' incident, and the Trich reveal - these were very heart-rending moments.

Love Marah xxxxx :)

PS Sorry to hear you are not feeling so good PP - thingking of you.

I finally managed to watch this film last night. I was actually quite disappointed by the film in general as I feel it portrayed OCD sufferers as being very odd.

15931[/snapback]

But again I have to point out that your looking at it wrong, it was a drama not a documentary. How many soaps do you watch with strange characters all in one small street/square.

The sufferers shown were eccentric but I bet there are a few out there, for dramatic reasons they were all clubbed together to keep the film interesting.

it was a drama not a documentary.  How many soaps do you watch with strange characters all in one small street/square.

15938[/snapback]

You'll be telling me next that EastEnders isn't reality TV :thumbup: !!!

But seriously, I take your point. and, yes, at times I've behaved in a pretty strange manner - though I have to say that usually (but not always) this was when I was at home, usually on my own.

Just a thought, but would it be practical for ocduk to purchase a copy of the video/DVD and hire it out to members for a nominal fee (to cover costs). This might also help those who want to see it but don't necessarily want a permanent copy. It would be cheaper I guess :dry:

Just a thought

Catherine :)

Guest I_love_Kelly

I've seen it and have a copy on video as I had to tape it as I had other things to do but I would definately be interested in buying a copy on DVD if possible but video is OK.

How about we approach Granada and offer if we all put our pennies worth in and tell our stories which can be included in a booklet. They could also fill the DVD with a load of extras like interviews with sufferers, ex-sufferers, their partners, doctors and loads more.

They could even make it into some sort of help video or something for schools, colleges and so forth so we can at least help other sufferers before it's to late.

I needed help years ago but didn't know where to turn so I think it's my duty as a sufferer to help those who don't know what to do to get the help they and I for one would be willing to help out in any way with the project if it takes off

Let me know what you think you guys

Chris

Guest SallyB

I videoed the programme and watched it yesterday - am still not really sure what I feel about it. Definitely mixed feelings.

I do think I must be on my own in not finding it funny - it actually made me feel really sad and upset - possibly because my fear has always been that I am just on the edge and if I don't keep myself under control then I will end up with my life falling into bits like it did on the programme. So maybe that aspect of it was a bit too close to home.

Also I wonder if I didn't identify with the character as I am a checker - and I couldn't tell whether the characters were true to life or not.

However, I guess that if it raised awareness and has meant the people have become aware of the support of OCDUK that can only be a good thing.

Sally

Hiya Sally,

I didn't find it funny at all either :dry: I also didn't identify much with it as my OCD is mainly intrusive thoughts and checking.

Patsy xx

But thousands of other people were able to identify with it.

I think the biggest problem was that many of you watched it expecting it to be a portrayal of your own individual OCD and missed the fact it was a film drama.

The fact is it did accurately portray the OCD symptoms, even if some of the drama was not to peoples liking.

It was also previewed as a comedy drama and it seems some of you have forgot that too, although the funny parts were few and far between, I would have loved a good laugh at OCD myself, that does not mean I am laughing at individuals, just the OCD situations.

I've read all of your comments with interest over the last week regarding the film and I thought maybe it would be a good time for me to add my own views now. But before I go any further and risk putting anyones nose out of joint or what have you - these are my opinions only (for what they are worth).

On the whole I thought the film was extremely well written and produced :) . I thought Michael Sheen's performance was excellent and very moving. I also thought that Shirley Henderson was really good in her role as Charlotte. I also felt there was a good cross section of (and I hate to use this word) 'normal' characters as well.

However, I did have issues with one particular plot - and that was the 'stalking' thread of the story. I felt this was uneccesary and also portrayed OCD'ers in a bad light - speaking as a writer (albeit unpublished :D ) a certain amount of dramatic license HAS to be used to make the story interesting, keep the pace up and keep the viewer engaged (I was taught this in my degree course) but this plotline made me cringe as it may seem like any OCD'er who splits up with their partner would turn into a stalker, which is most definitely NOT the case.

I also noticed a few of you were saying that you couldn't relate to it because it didn't go into the Pure 'O' side of things. I also noted that some responses stated that it would have been impossible to portray that - I have to say that speaking from a writers perspective you COULD portray Pure 'O' very easily within a script and put it across effectively, there are other ways and means of indicating dramatic truth than just coming out and saying 'I have Pure 'O' ' that can be easily interpreted by the viewer. Maybe that's a challenge for me? *shuffles off nervously* :dry:

At the end of the day you can't please everyone the whole time. On the whole I enjoyed it - apart from the odd bugbear here and there. I laughed, I cried and felt uncomfortable with it too - but then that's the whole point of drama - it's designed to stir up all these different emotions in each and every one of us!

I think Ian Puleston-Davies should be congratulated for actually having the guts to write about his own life and experiences and have it played out in front of millions of viewers - that's an amazing achievement in itself and another real OCD Success Story!

Anyway, as I said - just my opinion, really.

Luv Queens

x

Hi All

Well, having not really been on the board since the programme was shown I've been able to read everyone's reviews so far.

I think I agree with most of you that the main value of the programme was to raise awareness. To have two whole hours on primetime national TV on OCD/TS was excellent, and something that is unlikely to happen often. I also thought the acting quality and the overall dramatic setting were excellent.

However, like many of you, I also felt that the programme had its' flaws. There were too many types / symptoms crammed in, and it might have helped to focus (with the main characters) on fewer in more detail, and, like someone else has suggested, introduce the others in the Support Group setting. The combining of OCD and TS into the one character, and his descent into 'feral' (as someone put it) living and stalking behaviour, and the (albeit brief) violence at the garden party, do not reflect well on the reality of OCD (at least as I understand it). I for one will now be more reluctant for the time being to announce myself to people as someone who has suffered from OCD symptoms, without a strong 'caveat' that 'I'm not as bad as that character'. Also, I agree that the OCD behaviour in the Support Group was all too overt, and not matching the (admittedly few) experiences I have had in group settings. However I quite agree that people's behaviour in their own homes may be quite different, and this was portrayed well.

Additionally I personally was uncomfortable with the sexual content and bad language (except the TS manifestations, which were realistic, I think (?)), and also the title which implied this content from the start, even if this was not intended. I guess the decision was taken that a 'mainstream' audience would need this 'hook' to want to watch the programme, which of course (perversely) helped the awareness raising!

There were some good moments - both moments of pure humour and those little snippets which strike home. I particularly liked the 'Wet Wipes amnesty', the description of the broken glass incident (which struck home for me), and the rituals done on the Underground, demonstrating the 'need' to ritualise despite the inconvenience. The protrayal of Trichitillomania was, if a little late in the day, good too.

Like most reviewers I have taken I suppose a personal look at the drama - 'what did it mean for me?'. However I would like to end by saying (in a guarded way in this case) that maybe any publicity is good publicity. I certainly learned of someone I know having OCD as a result of this.

All the best

Stephen

Guest SallyB

I wasn't expecting it to be a portrayl of my own symptoms - just couldn't comment on whether it was true to life as I don't have the same symptoms of the main characters - but from reading other posts on here obviously it was!

I think things affect us all differently - I can laugh at my OCD but just couldn't in this case - like I said it made me feel sad. Not that that's a bad thing - just the way that it affected me.

Sally

I've noticed from reading around that a few people have been confused at the scene where the main character played by Martin Sheene was barking a' the dog and the two were practically having a dialogue. I presume this was intended to amuse and inform, but in my experience of people (including myself) with Tourettes, the involuntary vocal tics, in this case the bark, tends to 'just happen' spontaneously as the urge to tic builds up. I myself get a compelling urge to grunt which comes when it comes :dry: . It would not specifically come because I heard another person grunting. If someone was grunting back at me, it wouldn't particularly make me want to grunt more! The impulse comes from within. There is a phenonemom called 'echolalia' common in Tourettes where you get the urge to repeat what you've just heard, but again, this tends to be something verbal which has been said.

I can only assume the writer has perhaps experienced the 'barking scene' at some point in his personal experience. But to the best of my knowledge this kind of exchange is not a common feature in Tourettes. More likely, it would be an internal urge to grunt/bark which occurs, not an external stimulus such as the dog in this instance.

Don't know whether this is being a bit picky, but I must admit I was a bit unerved at the barking scene and have spoken to a couple of people with Tourettes since who were equally suprised at the way it was portrayed. It's also a scene a lot of people seem to have remembered.

If anyone can chip in to this point of discussion, please do so. I'm more than prepared to stand corrected if my understanding is wrong :grin:

Catherine :)