Dirty Filthy Love

My brother alerted me to this in the Sun at the end of last week.

Michael Sheen plays a man suffering from OCD in a one off drama for ITV, produce by Granada. The character meets a female sufferer in group therapy and starts a relationship which becomes an obsession.

Whilst it will raise awareness, the part about the relationship becoming an obsession concerns me.

Does anyone know more about it?

I might try and contact Granada to find out who advised them about OCD and if it will be an accurate portrayal.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Hypnosinc

Hi Ashie,

Frankly this sounds like Granada screwing around with the facts for the sake of dramatic licence. Whilst I don't know anything about the programme, it does sound like they are going to make the usual mistake of confusing Obsessive / Compulsive Disorder (OCD)with Obsessive / Compulsive Personality Disorder (OCPD), simply because the word Obsessive is used in both. Ultimately this can only do a disservice to genuine OCD sufferers and increase their sense of alienation, and desire to hide away.

Perhaps I shouldn't judge the programme before it is screened, but I do worry about the damage it might cause. I think putting a shot across Granada's bows would have limited, if any, effect. It may be a case of having to register a complaint after the event.

Just in case anyone is wondering about the distinction between OCD and OCPD, I know it is has been aired before on other forums, but I'll repeat it here. Put simply it is a matter of the "pleasure principle". OCPD sufferers pursue their obsessions because they get a thrill from them. They are hooked as if they were on a drug. In reality this is a sociopathic disorder, because they really don't care what suffering they cause others, as long as their obsessions are satisfied. I really don't think that can be confused with the agony that OCD sufferers go through, who do their best to make sure no harm comes to anyone else, even if it means harming themselves.

I know I've spoken about co-morbidity before, but I don't think it applies in this case because the impulses are totally at odds with each other.

Hi Sinclair,

I am concerned that Granada are going to confuse the two, what could be a great opportunity to promote OCD could end up doing more damage that good.

Will try and get in touch with them today or tomorrow.

This is what I found when I did a search on Google.

"Dirty Filthy Love A love story starring Rhys Ifans as a man with Tourette's syndrome. Written by Ian Puleston Davies, a Tourette's syndrome sufferer. "

The title isn't the choicest I don't think :blushing: . Interesting if it was written by someone with Tourettes and yet they used that title - maybe you need to watch it.........

Guest FobicFairy

Hi Guys,

They are not concerned with facts, they just want ratings, I should think that title will attract a lot of viewers who will be expecting a 'raunchy' programme.

Sigh.

I am afraid they won't take any notice at all of a complaint, its a fictional drama, so they pretty much have free licence.

I shall watch it and hope I am suprised in a good way.

FF

Hi guys,

I'm Jon and new to this forum, had posted 2 posts on other one b4 it was shut down but think this is my first on here. Just read the post about OCPD. I am really freaked out by this and think i may have it??!! what does it mean exactly? i'm specifically worried about the obsession with a relationship thing. The reason i worry is coz i have found in the past that i get a bit obsessed with a girl if i'm goin out with them (or not in the case of being a kid at school). I want to spend lots of time with them only as well (mainly coz i find it difficult to interact with people on a social level and avoid social situations, although i deeply wish i was normal and could!). I tend to think i'm in love really easily too. I'm romantic and sentimental and a very sensitive 22yr old lad, One things for sure tho is that i have NEVER been violent or a threat to someone and wouldn't! but i'am worrying a lot right now, i don't want to be a sociopath or anything :crybaby: !! sometimes i think that it's just because i want it to be like a fairytale romance but other times i feel like i am a wierd obsessive stalker (have never stalked anyone by the way) :( I'm also worried about the impact this programme could have on others if they get it all wrong just beacuse a bunch of half-witted producers want ratings. I do hope this is not the case and they portray ocd correctly. otherwise others may have the same problem i'm having.

Am really low on confidence at this point in my life, never really had much in the first place but especially now. am struggling with uni, and with friends. I'm finding i am getting increasingly anxious about talking to people, even in the street and so try to avoid those situations. OH GOD!!!!..(not religious!) i'm sooooo frustrated and really need this rant, sorry everyone. I think it may all stem from being bullied at school.....I hate the way i am, i get so ashamed. this has probably got to be one of my lowest points in my life. When is it going to ease up and let me lead a normal life?? Does anyone feel sorry for themselves sometimes? I do....I feel sorry for myself and my family that i got such a raw deal and it affects everyone. I have difficulty motivating myself to do anything....i've got 3 re-sit assignments to be in, in 2 days time and i'm on here, writing this! this is how much i value my learning and life prospects. I feel sorry for my folks coz they paid lots of money for me to attend uni and i can't soddin do it coz i'm thinking all the time! sorry.

This really is a lonely disease...if anyone feels like replying to me with their advice or their own problems feel free....i'm a good listener and i like to help. it may also help me. thanks for listening and for your patience.

Kindest regards, JBN

Guest alexandra

hi jon, i'm ali, 19 and also at uni, i feel sorry for myself too sometimes, just because of the ocd, my dad has it and i have it but my brother is fine, and my family treat me like i need extra help, which i probably do. i don't like feeling sorry for myself because i have a great family and friends and boyfriend, but just this ocd drives me up the wall, and knowing that only i have the power to stop it is so upsetting sometimes when it all just seems too hard and i just want someone else to make it all go away. i understand the anxiety about talking to people that you mentioned, i always think that i look or sound stupid or that they will notice that i am really anxious. can i ask if you have/ are having any therapy or are on any medication? maybe that would help. uni can be a difficult time esp. if you are living far away from home, i didn't feel that i could cope with that and so just went somewhere close to home. i must admit that i have never heard of OCPD before, only OCD, but it doesn't sound like you are a sociopath, just anxious and lonely, which this disease can easily make you even if you have loads of friends. feel free to reply and rant or whatever, Ali xxx

p.s. i was also bullied at school, and i am currently trying to convince myself that i don't have deep vein thrombosis, because i just got back from a long-haul flight, it's like i know that rationally i don't have it/ wont get it, but this OCD is just making me scared all the same.... :crybaby:

:grin: Hi alex,

Thanks so much for your reply, you're right in saying it is a lonely disease even if you have friends which i do (i live with 2 lads and have a general circle of about 10 that i see often). I too am at uni near my home and did live at home with my parents for the first semester of my first year but then decided to move out and now live 15 mins away in the city centre. I'm not taking any meds at the mo, my last ones were lustral which i took for 4 months about a year ago. I didn't like em tho, they made me really confident and outgoing. I became a bit cocky and arrogant, which i hate coz i want to be nice and genuine which i think is the most important thing in life, to be a good person. I've also had prozac when i was 16 (now 22) and tried seroxat when i was 17/18, the prozac i didn't like and only took 1 or 2 tabs coz i felt like a freak nutter person taking medication for my head! I thought 'only mental people take these, i'm not mental', was only taking em for depression then, didn't know i might have something else wrong. The seroxat too was bad, made me feel angry and frustrated. So as you can probably tell, i don't like taking meds. I've seen 2 mental health pro's, 1 psychiatrist and 1 psychologist....but i got 2 different diagnoses....psychiatrist said i had obsessive thoughts with high anxiety and put me on lustral, the psychologist (who i liked the most and spent most time with) said i didn't have OCD coz i don't have compulsions, just bad thoughts. He said i'm just sensitive and have an over-active super-ego (part of brain dealing with conscience and self awareness). So i'm really confused as to what it might be.....I do see valid points in what both say but am sure i have pure 'O' OCD (in that i have no compulsions). I do need reassurance a lot and do think a hell of a lot tho.

This DVT thing u are worried about.....the only thing i can say is that it is clear from what i know that u don't have it as you would have found out by now.....i think it would have affected you pretty much straight away (within days) of u getting it if u did, so try not to worry my friend. I know saying 'don't worry' wont work in stopping your problem coz thats the nature of the disease, but i hope it helps in easing your stress. I can totally sympathise with you in what u are going thru coz i had a bad period (was19yrs old) where i thought i was going to die coz i had a minor heart problem (i didn't know it was minor tho) i was convinced i was going to have heart failure. However my fears had some reason, i had taken cocaine and exctasy as well as an anti-malaria drug called Lariam (coz i was going to thailand) a few weeks before i had the problem (I DON'T RECOMMEND ANY OF EM!). So i know where ur going with this fear, and trust me it will fade, just needs time to run its course (took me 5 months, went from being 10st to 8.5st thru stress). Do you find yourself constantly checking yourself for signs or reading up on it a lot? I did...wanted lots of tests to make sure i was fine, which of course i was. Sometimes reading up on things helps, as the more you know the less you are frightened of it. It may not work for you but i find it easier if i understand what i'm facing....i think people are always frightened of what they don't know, the more you know about something the less you'll be frightened by it. So if you don't know much about DVT it may help you to understand it, however, don't take my word for it, its just that i find it helps me. :crybaby: anyway, i've rambled long enough...i hope you find some peace from this torture,

all the best, jon.

Hi Jon,

I'm not taking any meds at the mo, my last ones were lustral which i took for 4 months about a year ago.  I didn't like em tho, they made me really confident and outgoing. I became a bit cocky and arrogant,

The seroxat too was bad, made me feel angry and frustrated. jon.

I found I was the same when taking Seroxat - I became over-confident and as you describe, cocky and arrogant - my GP called it 'disinhibition' - but in fact I was just downright rude to people :omg: !!

I also became very angry when I stopped taking them.

However, I haven't given up on meds; indeed the right ones (for me) have given me my life back.

I hate the way i am, i get so ashamed. this has probably got to be one of my lowest points in my life.

There have been times I have hated myself and hated my life - I think having OCD makes everyone really low at some time, but certainly for me things have improved and I am re-making a life for myself - so please believe that things can get better.

I don't think you should feel ashamed about how you are - OCD is an illness just like any other and it (or other mental health problems) can affect anybody, anytime.

Hope things soon start improving for you and that you get your assignments and so on finished and handed in - that's probably not helping your stress levels :( .

Anyway, welcome to the board and hope you find it helpful :crybaby: .

Take care

whitebeam

P.S. Does anyone know when the TV programme this thread was initially about is on? I would be very interested to see it. :omg:

P.S. Does anyone know when the TV programme this thread was initially about is on? I would be very interested to see it.

I am still trying to find out. Made couple of calls but drawn a blank so far.

• 3 months later...
Guest Kitty

I know I'm resurrecting an old thread here, but I was reading about this programme today on ITV teletext. It's about a love affair between a couple - one of whom has OCD and the other Tourettes.

Apparently, it's now been filmed and is being scheduled to go out sometime in the Autumn.

I don't know anything else other than that, though.

Luv Queens

xx

Guest Kitty

Hopefully, yes - although I suspect there will be a lot of dramatic license used. I'll be scrutinising the script (that's the frustrated scriptwriter in me :whistling: ) and performances, though.

Hopefully, yes - although I suspect there will be a lot of dramatic license used.  I'll be scrutinising the script (that's the frustrated scriptwriter in me :whistling: ) and performances, though.

Well I can leave it to you to follow it up and do research on the show?

I'll keep an eye out on the Tourettes web site as they are usually alert to these things. I reckon if there's one condition which gets even less accurate portrayal than OCD its Tourettes. Everyone associates it with abusive foul swearing :) . In fact this is not a common symptom and dosn't even need to be present for a diagnosis of Tourettes to be made.

Me, I never swear (except at Everon FC who would drive a saint to swearing :whistling: !)

Catherine

Hi

Found this little bit on a google search

Plot Outline: A man's life falls apart as a result of his affliction with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and Tourette's Syndrome in this touching and funny tale.

I've also contacted the Tourettes Assc to see if they know anything.

Don't wish to sound judgemental before I've seen it (but I will anyway :whistling: ) but I've never found anything remotely funny about having OCD and TS. Hope it's not going to be a sugary 'happy ending'.

Catherine

Guest patsy

Hi Catherine,

I agree with you, I have never been able to see the funny side either!

It will be interesting to watch it anyway to see what we make of it.

Patsy x

Guest FobicFairy

Oooer at the Yahoo TV guide.

'Poised to stoke possible outrage is new drama Dirty Filthy Love, starring Michael Sheen, billed as a love story between two people suffering from obsessive compulsive disorder and Tourette's Syndrome.'

That doesnt bode well!

This is the direct link to the agent of the producer/director:

http://www.pfd.co.uk/scripts/get.py/filman...ucers%20LANGANC

DIRTY FILTHY LOVE

90 min TV film

Producer.

Director: Adrian Shergold

Written by Jeff Pope and Ian Puleston-Davis

This is what the BBC have to say about it:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/film/3528306.stm

'Another new drama, Dirty Filthy Love, will tackle the topic of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder through a love story.'

Maybe we should start writing letters to the team now, its only just being shot at the moment.

FF

Guest Kitty
Don't wish to sound judgemental before I've seen it (but I will anyway  ) but I've never found anything remotely funny about having OCD and TS. Hope it's not going to be a sugary 'happy ending'.

Looking at the pedigree of the writers I don't think this will be the case. Ian Puleston-Davies who co-wrote the screenplay is a Tourette's sufferer himself. However, will reserve judgement for now!

I'm going to do some research and see what I can find out, anyway

luv Queens

xx

Hi

I've been in touch with the Tourettes Association and have sent Ashie a bit of info which he will probably place on the board when he gets a chance later on. It appears the Tourettes Assc have been involved in the process which is good.

Catherine

Thanks to Catherine for her research:

Thank you for your e-mail regarding the drama 'Dirty, Filthy Love' is being screened by Granada Television, The London Television Centre, Upper Ground, London SE1 9LT Tel. 020 7620 1620.

Members and representatives of the Tourette Syndrome (UK) Association have been in touch with Granada Television who have gone to some lengths to "allay fears". Here are a few quotes from the Executive Producer from March 2004.

" Firstly, the project is primarily about a man suffering from Obsessive, Compulsive Disorder who suffers from associated, mild Tourette Syndrome.  It is based on an actual story and has been thoroughly researched.  Please be assured that we will take the utmost care to treat this subject sensitively, sympathetically and accurately.  The point of the film is not to make life worse for sufferers but to help people understand what is going on."

" Secondly, I was as dismayed as you by the article that appeared in some newspapers purporting to give details about our project.  It is totally inaccurate and I have no idea who the source might have been.  It is totally inaccurate and I have no idea who the source might have been."  "The 'bad behaviour' quote is appalling."

"I hope I can set your mind at rest that this will not be the type of film the article led you believe it might be."

I hope this goes some way to answer your question.  I have given you the address for Granada at the start of the e-mail and am sure that any comments or fears that you have regarding this programme would be answered.

• 1 month later...

I have heard via the Tourettes Association that 'Dirty, Filthy Love' is to be screened on ITV on Sunday 26 September 9-11 pm. I understand the Assc has been involved in its production, although they are not too happy about the title over which they had no control :blushing: .

Catherine :lol: