Dirty Filthy Love

Guest Newbloke

I am not sure about this one. Yes it did give OCD a lot of coverage but I feel it did not portrary OCD in a good way. It made us look like a buntch of nutters. It may have shown the many kinds of OCD but one person having all of them. I am concerned what non suffers will think we are like. I have been to a couple of the London get togethers and anyone looking would never guess there was anything wrong with us. I don't want people thinking that if you have OCD you will end up like that. Newbloke.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I thought the film was good. Maybe it's just that I'm a bit emotional tonight but I found it quite moving. I especially thought it was good near the beginning when he was going up the escalator in the tube station and even though there were people behind him pushing he still did the OCD stuff. I can certainly identify with how that feels - not stairs for me, but washing my hands obsessively and still 'having' to carry on even when people are watching.

Like Ashie says, if it's got lots of people calling for help then that has to be a good thing :lol:

Guest FobicFairy

I liked the girl in the group, but I did think she was rude to the others and they may put someone off attending a group. I didn't warm to the main character as much as I would have liked. The only part that really moved me was when he was in the sink with the burns from bleach. Even then I thought it seems like we have 'funny' compulsions but it didn't get across how he would have felt inside his head to do that. But, I have no idea how you can get the pain in someones mind across which is why I suppose they didn't cover pure o, how can you see it???

I laughed at some of it, I laugh at my own OCD too, but I did think it made us look more potty than we are.

My partner said he felt it was very altered for mainstream viewing and didn't portray it as good as it could have done and my mum said it was confusing with so many elements involved. She didn't understand why the girl had bald patches, I had to explain that to her. She also didn't understand if the man was stalking because of OCD, all 3 of us worried that people will think if they get an ex who wont let go they are going to think they have OCD.

Ashie is right though, this is the best national exposure OCD, tourettes etc has probably ever had, and even though it was hammed up a bit for entertainment value people will still be able to identify with it and contact someone like OCD-UK and give them the facts.

If only 5 people who watched decided to get help then it was worth it, but I suspect many more than that will be coming out of the woodwork.

Remember it was a comedy drama not a documentry, so they had to make it over the top to an extent to suit the audience. I hope this programme sparks enough interest for more programmes to be made especially ones that are a more factual and address all aspect of OCD.

Hope everything goes ok with the calls Ashie. Need any help?? I can be up all night if you need me.

FF

I have to agree with many of the Board members (mainly Catehrine, Patsy, liquidsilva and Newbloke ) - I was very disappointed, and actually quite distressed, by the film. I feel it did not enable you to warm to the characters, even to 'get to know' the characters. I also agree with the point re. Charlotte's attitude to Roger (on 2 occasions) was really rude and insensitive - I would have worried for days if I had spoken to some one like that!!! :)

My partner and I watched intensely which is maybe why I am so disappointed as I expected it to be so much more. Although I agree that it may have enabled some people to recognise what was happening with them, which is excellent :thumbup: - I also feel it has failed so many others which I think is very sad :lol: - knowing that there is so many people out there suffering in silence and fear. :(

There are so many ways of communicating messages in a film, exploring different forms of OCD would have been possible through the Support Group scences (but this was not explored at all); voice overs can be used for thoughts processes - but once again this was not used. I am not trying to imply that I could have written a drama, or dircted it any better, I am just saying I think it could have delivered so much more. I hope I am not offending the director :)

As we all know ( and as it said at the end of the programme) OCD is seen as the 'secret illness' - however I feel as if this drama indicated that you would know if someone had OCD or Tourettes - eliminating most sufferers who secretly live with this uear in year out.

Anyway I just thought I would get some thoughts down as I am really, really disappointed - but as I said maybe I had set my expectations too high and expected too much is such a short drama.

Hope everyone is well.

Love Marah :)

Hope everything goes ok with the calls Ashie. Need any help?? I can be up all night if you need me.

15621[/snapback]

thanks Jules, had about 6 messages left and about 4 calls so far, a lot may have called and not left messages though. When I get the call stats in a few weeks I will know for sure.

i think it had too much going on in terms of the various conditions. it was unclear how the OCD itself affected him- and which was ocd and which tourettes. i also think the portrayal of the anxiety and distress caused by the two spiralling out of control suggested the ocd was making him insane (at least to those watching who havent a clue about the condition). he wasnt shown as being aware that his obsessions and compulsions were unacceptable to himself either- which is surely a huge part of why ocd is such a torment to the sufferer.

on a positive note, it succesfully managed to generate humour without being too patronising...tho it bugs me that they cant just pick someone bloody beautiful and young and NOT WEIRD to be in a self help group (some of the guys were almost portrayed as simpletons)...there are lots of cool people out there who have ocd...tho to be fair the main characters were given very strong REAL (not mad) identities....identities that were overshadowed by their condition. BUT i think they seemed to make to much of a distinction between those with ocd- really suggesting they are, or become, 'outsiders' to society, and those without- who just look at sufferers in total confusion (tho often true i know).

it was actually pretty upsetting. it got across a real sense of despair. i think it probably has raised the profile of ocd...but i'm not necessarily sure would help someone who hasnt experience of it understand it to any great extent

Guest twoshoes
I have been to a couple of the London get togethers and anyone looking would never guess there was anything wrong with us.

I kid myself about that too. Not abnormal just differnt my CPN used to say. With my bleeding red hands and my funny ways and my anxiety attacks. It's like when the friends both said "sitting" they had noticed his funny ways, his OCD and he was shocked that they had?

Its the people who don't make it to the meets that you would notice more but they're not there. Anyway we are on our best behaviour in company I thought that I had kept my OCD a secret for 17 years, "normal" when out...FOAMING loony in private!

My mom has severe rhuematoid arthritis, she cannot hold a pen to write, walk turn her head etc, but not every one has the condition to the extent of my Mom, same as OCD.

Just finished on the phone, non stop since the show ended so that clearly shows it has reached many people. Think I got through 20 calls/messages. I am sure I have lost many people because we only have the one line too.

Guest FobicFairy

Hi Ashie,

I was worried about the fact you only have one line, I hope more people will phone tomorrow, I tried to call you once to see if there was anything I could do, but it was engaged so I assumed you were swamped.

Despite OCD action being above us, I think OCD-UK is a better name and gives the impression that we are THE offiical OCD charity in the UK. Hope other people think the same way :lol:

FF

Hi Ashie,

I was worried about the fact you only have one line, I hope more people will phone tomorrow, I tried to call you once to see if there was anything I could do, but it was engaged so I assumed you were swamped.

Despite OCD action being above us, I think OCD-UK is a better name and gives the impression that we are THE offiical OCD charity in the UK. Hope other people think the same way  :lol:

FF

15635[/snapback]

Well at this stage I am happy for them to get the majority of calls for the simple fact we are still new and still sorting out issues like handling mass calls.

I have been able to handle the calls to some extent, but clearly I need to look at getting another line.

Guest Worn out

I think it was a reasonable attempt to show people who might not know about ocd, what it can be like. I know it has/had flaws etc but if it helps even one person who saw it to think they have it and get help, it can only be a good thing

I think it was a reasonable attempt to show people who might not know about ocd, what it can be like. I know it has/had flaws etc but if it helps even one person who saw it to think they have it and get help, it can only be a good thing

15646[/snapback]

I think that sums it up well. I have had calls from mothers whose teenage son/daughters have symptoms of OCD and in once case Tourette's so to get those people aware at the early age is amazing and exactly what we are trying to do, so the film to do it for us is great.

However, for those with concerns, complaints put them together on here and I will ask the question of IPD the writer when I meet him.

HI,

WELL I MIGHT UPSET A FEW PEOPLE ON HERE AS THIS HAS REALLY OPENED UP A DEBATE AINT IT. I LOVED THE PROGRAMME I THOUGHT IT DID REALLY WELL IN OPENING UP THE OCD AND TOURETTES AND ALSO THE TRICHLOTTIMANIA NOT SURE IF I HAVE SPELT THAT RIGHT.

I AGREE THAT IT MADE US LOOK LIKE A BUNCH OF NUTTERS IN A SENSE BUT YOU HAVE TO SEE THE FUNNY SIDE OF IT AFTER ALL IAN WROTE THIS SO SUFFERERS OF OCD AND THE OTHER CONDITIONS COULD SEE THE FUNNY SIDE OF THE ILLNESSES AS WELL. I TELL YOU WHAT THOUGH IT DEFINITELY MADE ME THINK ABOUT HOW I AM WITH MY OCD AT TIMES AND HOW SILLY SOME OF MY RITUALS ARE SO YOU SEE IT DOES HELP PEOPLE WITH OCD TOO.

ALSO IF IT RAISES AWARENESS FOR SUFFERERS THEN THAT IS EXCELLENT NEWS AND I HAVE READ ALL THE ARTICLES FOR THE PROGRAMME AS WELL, THERE WAS A GOOD ARTICLE IN THE WEEKEND MAGAZINE FOR THE MAIL AND IT ALSO LISTED FAMOUS OCD SUFFERERS WHICH I THOUGHT WAS GREAT FOR ME COS IT HELPS YOU REALISE THAT YOU AREN'T ON YOUR OWN AND STARS HAVE IT TOO. IT DID LIST OCD ACTION AT THE END OF THE ARTICLE, I HAVE STILL KEPT IT SO IF YOU'D LIKE IT SENT TO YOU ASHIE I CAN SEND IT IN THE POST IF YOU LIKE IT WAS ONE OF THE BEST I HAVE READ. IT REALLY DID OCD JUSTICE.

I SYMPATHISED WITH THE CHARACTERS LAST NIGHT BUT I AM PRE-MENSTRUAL AS WELL :lol: NO SERIOUSLY EVEN MY FIANCE ENJOYED IT, HE SAID IF IT HAD BEEN A SERIOUS THING ABOUT OCD HE WOULDN'T HAVE ENJOYED IT BUT HE LOVED IT AND FOUND IT REALLY GOOD FOR RAISING AWARENESS FOR OCD.

REALLY THOUGH THIS IS MY OPINION FOR TODAY I FEEL DIFFERENTLY ABOUT MY OCD BECAUSE I WATCHED THIS PROGRAMME, IT EVEN REMINDED ME AS WELL THAT I HAVE PROBABLY HAD OCD SINCE I WAS LITTLE TOO AND I JUST DON'T FEEL SO ALONE WITH IT NOW AND HOPEFULLY MORE ACTORS AND ACTRESSES IN BRITAIN WILL COME FORWARD AS WELL SOON.

LOADS OF LOVE

TRACY

XXXXX

P.S YES I WAS A BIT PEEVED THAT THEY DIDNT COVER PURE O AS I HAVE THAT TOO BUT THEY CAN'T SHOW EVERYTHING I GUESS BUT IT IS A START IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION :)

Guest piratecat

Must admit i watched the first half and felt like people will think that people with OCD should be sectioned. I feel that OCD can effect people that you would look at and never guess they would suffer - the cast made it look as though we walked round in a loopy mess every second...........strange.

Good luck with phone calls Ashie - personally, as my posting highlights, I was not impressed by the film and was actually quite upset with the way it handed the issues - but I am really glad that it has raised awraeness with some people who can now seek help :) Although I still feel that it could have dealt with the issues differently and reached far more people- but maybe my expectations were too high.

Once agin Good Luck Ashie and Keep Up the Good Work!

Lve Marah xxxxx :)

Guest Hypnosinc

I was very impressed by the play, and felt that it handled the subject matter sensitively and without any maudlin or prurient fascination. Describing it as a comedy drama was a mistake, I think, because although there were some moments of comedy, there wasn't much to laugh about and may have given a wrong impression to those who already have a total misunderstanding of the condition.

I think the important messages were covered:

a: It usually starts early in life but is not recognised for what it is,- for Mark it began at the age of 7, which I think most sufferers would recognise if they dig back into their pasts.

b. It is a condition that stands apart from the personality and intellect of the sufferer.

c. It handled the attitudes of those around the sufferer very well, from the doctor dismissing OCD as just "depression", to the heartache and ultimate lack of comprehension by those close to the sufferer.

d. The efforts made by sufferers to hide the condition, and although the "trich" aspect was signposted, I don't think anyone could have been expecting the exposure that eventually occurred. Beautifully done.

e. The wide range of symptoms. This is a double-edged sword. It is necessary to show the variety so that sufferers don't get the impression their own particular flavour stands outside the realm of OCD, but it could have led to producing a mere catalogue of symptoms. I think ultimately it did avoid that, but too much ground may have been covered and could have been confusing. I think the only area that wasn't covered was Compulsive Skin Picking, but I may have missed that. I'll have to watch it again.

There were points that could have been underlined better:

a. The numbers of sufferers. This was given only a passing reference, and not necessarily in a way that would have given heart to many sufferers.

b. Not enough was made of treatments that are available. The only time medication was mentioned was in the doctor's, and we weren't sure what medication was being given or if it was even appropriate. And certainly more could have been made of CBT, although I felt the exposure aspect was handled excellently in the farmyard scenes.

c. More could have been made of the information that is available. I got the impression that the support group worked in complete isolation, almost in its own cocoon. I'm not sure how that could have been avoided, although my own prejudice would have suggested having the odd carer involved in the group.

d. All the sufferers appeared to be single people, and apart from Mark's own failed marriage, not enough was made of relationships that are surviving in the face of OCD.

e. There was no emphasis on Pure "O" which is the commonest form of OCD, after all. Sadly, this is almost impossible to depict, but more could perhaps have been made of the fact that ritualistic behgaviour usually arises out of the need to deal with overwhelming obsessional thinking.

I had been concerned about the depiction of the "stalking", but with hindsight you can see that this was shown in context of Mark's desperation to regain his marriage, and did avoid showing it as an aspect of OCD. Whether non-sufferers could have picked up on that I'm not sure.

All in all, I would give the play full marks for it's honesty and unsentimental approach to the subject. Above all it was balanced. The less likeable sides of the sufferers' personality was not avoided, Charlotte's attitude to other members of the group for instance. There could have been a danger of depicting the sufferers as totally likeable but ultimately helpless individuals, and the sharpness of some of the dialogue added an extra dimension of integrity. For me, the play scored in many ways that "As Good As It Gets" never did.

At the end of the day we are watching one man's gradual and unrelieved descent into Hell, that is the basis of all good drama, and whilst inevitably it will not match everyone's expectations, it did much to dispel many of the myths and misunderstandings about the condition, and that is as much as anyone can expect.

Guest raindancing

Hi all.

I have to agree with Tracy and say that I really enjoyed the programme. I also agree that ok, it did make us look a bit 'nutty', but then at the same time, these people were still functioning in life etc, and it did make me laugh. :lol:

Maybe some of the laughing was guilty laughter, :) but laughter all the same, about an illness than can be so frustrating, it's unbelievable!! :)

It was good to remember that as horrible as OCD can be, you just HAVE to laugh at yourself sometimes, otherwise how can we go on???

'Charlie' was good with Mark as she laughed at some of his sillier sounding compulsions, which broke the ice and made him feel better (noteably the bit about soaking his balls in white spirit). Allowing him/OCD sufferers to see the funny side is a big help, well to me anyway.

Also she made a good point about Autism sufferers having no idea they have it, but with OCD we're fully aware and that's half the frustration - a point many people watching were perhaps unaware of?

ANYWAY, I thought it was great, except the slightly syruppy ending, but ya can't have it all can ya?! :tongue:

'Chelle

xxx

Most people I have spoke to agreeded with you guys, they either loved or it, or did not bits of it but accepted it raised awareness... apart from the one women who left me a message saying how disgusting it was and awful and how it portrayed people in the wrong way. She did not leave her name or number..... whats the point in taking my time up with this.

Having found out about the airing of this drama, I had mixed feelings with regard to watching it alone or with my girlfriend, as although my partner knows about my OCD and obviously is aware of most of my ritual and compulsions etc, we both still find it very difficult/embarrassing to talk about it. This in mind I suggested that we watch the programme together, hopeful that the story would somehow help to explain, through the main characters fears and feelings, them of my own.

I was very surprised to see how well the condition was portrayed early on in the film and I soon found myself being able to relate to the characters , especially when some of my own rituals and compulsions were the same or very similar to those in the group. Although I never obsess with the light switch when there are others in the room(how funny was that, I am still laughing now at the thought). Another very real scene was that of Mark and his GP, where Mark really wants to talk about his condition and the GP, very uneasy about this concludes that its just his depression and that the answer to his questions lie within this depression, that could so easily have been my GP.

At this stage of the film I was beginning to feel a little less uncomfortable about my own condition and was thinking whether to ask people at work whether they saw the film, with a view to telling a few close colleagues about my own condition, this made me feel very confident and for the first time in a long time unashamed of my illness.

Unfortunately this feeling was not to last. What started out to be a good portrayal of an OCD suffers daily life soon became yet another over the top, ratings focused drama that forgot about the real subject issue and started to give the impression that stalking, violence and "going feral" were all conditions of the illness. The impression I got of Mark towards the end of the film, were that of someone who was completely out of control and dangerous. That's my opinion and I am a sufferer of the illness who could relate to his mental state. God knows what none sufferers impression of the character and the illness must be.

I therefore had a quick change of heart and decided not to mention the programme at work, then immediately started to worry whether any of my colleagues who had seen the film may now notice some of my rituals and think that I to am, or is headed the same way as Mark. So, having now had time to reflect I have asked myself the following:

Do I feel better having watched it? Could it have been better? Has it helped raise awareness?

My honest answer to all the above is yes, I do feel better for having seen it, always good to know that your not alone and that someone somewhere took the time to make a British film about the condition. Nothings perfect, we should know, so of course it could have been better, I'm sure in a selfish way we all wanted it to be fully about our own condition, and that we could have learnt something that we don't already know, and Yes, it is sure to help raise awareness, hopefully the film was seen by youngsters who will be able to recognise the symptoms and seek further advice/help on how to cope, as I know that when I was growing up, I had no idea what my condition was or who to talk to, especially when you believe that talking about it will lead to something bad happening.

I would love to know what others thought.

All the best Lee.

So Ashie, when's the trip to the farm..

Well I have to say that I was very impressed by the programme. I felt that it did portray ocd as the time-consuming, stressful and agonising illness that it is. My main complaint is the fact that it was described as a romantic comedy. I don't blame the makers of the programme for this but ITV and the media. I'm sure they wouldn't get away with it if they described a programme about someone suffering from say cancer or paralysis as "comedy". I'm very tempted to write a letter of complaint as I've never found ocd as humorous. Complaint aside I felt that the acting and script really got across the nature of ocd. The film "As Good As It Gets" really just seemed to depict ocd as little quirks that you go through and don't get stressed out about whereas "Dirty Filthy Love" portrayed the anxiety really well. I really connected with Mark and could feel the pain and torture that was going on in his mind. I could really relate to the difficulties showed when he was trying to get into work. From lying in his bed feeling deprssed about the day ahead, being late for work because of the ocd, the sweat building up as he went through his rituals at the underground station and the way in which, no matter what was going on around him, the rituals had to be done. Saying that, I did find the self-help group portrayed ocd as too "obvious". I don't think I have ever looked at someone's behaviour at a support group and felt "yep they have ocd". On the whole though a very good programme. I hope it motivates further media publicity.

Donut

I'd be really interested to find out what proportion of enquiries came from people who may have compulsive rituals in relation to those who have obsessive thoughts? I think a few of us have highlighted our concerns over the complete absence of any reference to the latter. I really hope it has reached sufferers of 'o' but am concerned it won't have. I think marah raised some good suggestions as to how the obsessive thoughts could have been addressed (voice overs etc)

There is virtually no activity on the Tourettes Association site re the drama which I'm suprised about. Not sure about phone enquiries. I had a pm from one chap and he was not too impressed with the film.

When it all settles down, a breakdown of the enquires would be most interesting, and I think it would be excellent feedback for the producers.

Catherine :)

I'd be really interested to find out what proportion of enquiries came from people who may have compulsive rituals in relation to those who have obsessive thoughts? I think a few of us have  highlighted our concerns over the complete absence of any reference to the latter. I really hope it has reached sufferers of 'o' but am concerned it won't have. I think marah raised some good suggestions as to how the obsessive thoughts could have been addressed (voice overs etc)

There is virtually no activity on the Tourettes Association site re the drama which I'm suprised about. Not sure about phone enquiries. I had a pm from one chap and he was not too impressed with the film.

When it all settles down, a breakdown of the enquires would be most interesting, and I think it would be excellent feedback for the producers.

Catherine :)

15686[/snapback]

Catherine, you are asking the impossible I feel. Many of the people calling have no idea what form of OCD they have, they just recognise the symptoms. I also feel that people are still a little tunnel visioned in their view of this show.

I never saw anybody with my form of OCD in it, however I saw many other forms of OCD. Lets be realistic, the list of OCD types is huge and you cant cover every one, there was no driving OCD fear mentioned, yet that is also very common. The fact of the matter is that I am getting hundreds of calls and only one has been negative, the rest that I have been able to answer have all been positive and thankful to have found us.

I'm very tempted to write a letter of complaint as I've never found ocd as humorous.

15677[/snapback]

Aaah, but you need too sometimes I think. OCD itself is not funny, but you need to take a step back sometimes and laugh at some of the silly things our OCD makes us do.

Take a look at:

http://ocduk.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=14