What if Psychodynamics is the real thing?

Guest OCDhavenobrain

Guest OCDhavenobrain

I am semiserious with what i am about to say but it is a thought my brain often have thrown at me when i am ruminating.

What if this whole "CBT-thing" is build on lies, and the only real way to get a final healthy state of mind is the psychodynamic approach of theraphy.

The idea that you need to analyse the past and question what you have experienced.
In the darkest of times have i often thought that i need to work atleast 26 years on my past before i can live healthy in the now

Isn't the whole CBT industry just a way to tell the people who suffer to stop being sick?

What if the community will go back to psychodynamics and the whole idea of looking at past events and memories before you can live healthy in the now will be proven to be the real deal so to say?

What if we all are fooled? And Freud is the real deal

Edited by OCDhavenobrain

That to me sounds like an obsession in itself.

As someone who has OCD in the family - including my 5 year old son who has had no past experiences which would cause an OCD flare up. I think changing our thought processes/patterns is the way forward.

Remember the nature of OCD, its relentless. An outcome gained through psycodynamics will only be picked apart by OCD doubts. Thats my take on it anyway x

Guest OCDhavenobrain

That to me sounds like an obsession in itself.

As someone who has OCD in the family - including my 5 year old son who has had no past experiences which would cause an OCD flare up. I think changing our thought processes/patterns is the way forward.

Remember the nature of OCD, its relentless. An outcome gained through psycodynamics will only be picked apart by OCD doubts. Thats my take on it anyway x

I know.

The idea is most likely a spin off from the feeling of needing to figure things out. Just wanting to KNOW how it really was. Psychodynamics offer such an opportunity.

I agree, that sounds like an obsession from a ruminating mind. Surely the fact that CBT has been successful for so many people is pretty good proof that it works? Even if you're sceptical then it's worth a try.

Everyone has painful memories and questions the accuracy of their memories. There's not a lot we can do about that, it's something we all have to live with. What we can do is work on how we process and react to those memories in the present, which is why CBT is effective.

Guest OCDhavenobrain

I agree, that sounds like an obsession from a ruminating mind. Surely the fact that CBT has been successful for so many people is pretty good proof that it works? Even if you're sceptical then it's worth a try.

Everyone has painful memories and questions the accuracy of their memories. There's not a lot we can do about that, it's something we all have to live with. What we can do is work on how we process and react to those memories in the present, which is why CBT is effective.

Your answer is a good one.

My ruminating mind is seing it like this..

Even if it works doesn't that mean its true. A man can live their whole life in a lie. So what if CBT is a lie.

It is most likely a spin off from the NEED to feel certain about things. The feeling of knowing.

Psychodynamics is however offering such a certaintly about the past. By working on the past events do you making yourself able to live healthy in the now without the impact of the past events.

Edited by OCDhavenobrain

I tell you what. You go lay on a psychiatrist's couch for endless sessions and talk about your childhood and whether you were breastfed as a baby. Go right ahead. When you've exhausted that avenue and you realize it doesn't do anything to improve your situation with OCD, we'll still be here advising people to take the CBT approach.

Your answer is a good one.

My ruminating mind is seing it like this..

Even if it works doesn't that mean its true. A man can live their whole life in a lie. So what if CBT is a lie.

It is most likely a spin off from the NEED to feel certain about things. The feeling of knowing.

Psychodynamics is however offering such a certaintly about the past. By working on the past events do you making yourself able to live healthy in the now without the impact of the past events.

That's quite an interesting point and I agree related to the need to feel certain. I think it comes down to what is 'true' and how we can ever know that. For example, we can't really be sure that what we are sensing is 'true' - what you think you 'see' is just your brain telling you what's there. It might not be a true reflection of the real world (and sometimes isn't, e.g. hallucinations).

It would be easy to ruminate about this, but at the end of the day I think we need to (i) accept uncertainty and accept we don't know what is 'true' for sure, and (ii) take a positive leap of faith sometimes. For example, I generally choose to believe that what I am seeing is 'true', otherwise it would be pretty difficult to live my life.

So with CBT, and having been to hell and back with OCD / depression, I think I would rather take the risk of living a happy lie than continue to suffer!

Guest OCDhavenobrain

That's quite an interesting point and I agree related to the need to feel certain. I think it comes down to what is 'true' and how we can ever know that. For example, we can't really be sure that what we are sensing is 'true' - what you think you 'see' is just your brain telling you what's there. It might not be a true reflection of the real world (and sometimes isn't, e.g. hallucinations).

It would be easy to ruminate about this, but at the end of the day I think we need to (i) accept uncertainty and accept we don't know what is 'true' for sure, and (ii) take a positive leap of faith sometimes. For example, I generally choose to believe that what I am seeing is 'true', otherwise it would be pretty difficult to live my life.

So with CBT, and having been to hell and back with OCD / depression, I think I would rather take the risk of living a happy lie than continue to suffer!

That is why i think OCD-patients have greater chance to get enlightened. When you once have seen that things the brain is throwing at you don't need to be true..

In my eyes, this is all i have ever known. this is the correct mindset to me and the others around me are the ones giving me the perception of me being ill.

No one understands, i dont want them to help fix me. that wouldnt help at all. they would be going out of their way to help me which would mean that they are either so arrogant that they think every issue in the world needs their attention, or they actually care and are too conditioned to actually know why they are not helping.

Its perspective. its always perspective. i dont need to think differently, in fact when i find an exit to whatever loop im in i feel so delighted that i once again found a way around a problem that was recurring in my head.

all i need from my friends is to not notice that they have passively accepted my actions and words.

that i dont nescessarily require a response to everything i say whilst they are in the room. they cant relate, they cannot solve, so instead the knowing i found the words to voice it aloud in an understandable way is most of the journey to me really dissecting every part of an issue.

btw in most emergency situations where more than expected is needed off of people involved to sort things out. everyone turns to me. standing out with a most prepared way around them. i stand out as the one who knew how to sort out the all minute aspects of the scenario. with no emotional burn out in me.

I am not ill. the brain comes empty.

psychology to those who are aware of psychology is ultimately changed in them.

may your answers to your problems come clear everyone, the next battle awaits in this war

Interesting perspective Zeradin. So when you say 'this is the correct mindset to me' and 'i dont want them to help fix me', does that mean you are content with your OCD and see no need to treat it as a condition?

Also I would be interested to hear how you go about finding an exit to whatever loop you're in? Usually if I'm in a ruminating 'loop' I never solve the problem as such, and the loop either ends through exhaustion with anxiety or through applying CBT techniques to dismiss the meaning of the problem.

No i see it as a condition that cannot be fixed by those who dont suffer the affliction. I find myself in a situation where i communicate in brutal honesty. everything people usually say is the second thing they think to say. I preclude to always say the first thing. no matter how it sounds, the sounds make the thoughts leave me., no more holding in the worry.

as for breaking out of loops, I manage to break down the cause and effect behavior and situations. analyze each time what isnt in the loop that is closing it in on itself. using game theory models for economics of stress management i keep changing what im focusing on in the loop every time i notice it repeat. finding the trigger and also the solution to avoid the loop altogether.

Sorry i wrote it like that. it is meant to be metaphysical on meaning as to apply to all aspects of ocd and the types of loops you get. hopefully the "enter situation and objects here" approach helps people fit the model to them and see if it works.