Change of meds question

Hi all ,

I was struggling with the side effects from my original med that was prescribed for me lexapro so I went to my GP and was referred to the local hospital where I met a doctor who changed my med and I'm taking seroquel also . But to come off the lexapro she wanted me to take the new med and seroquel at night and the lexapro in the morning but the lexapro makes me sleepy so she said take them all at night. I'm taking this dosage since Monday night but I was worried about Seratonin syndrome I'm meeting them again on Tuesday . I only have around 11-12 lexapro left is this common and something I shouldn't worry about ?

I think it is quite common to worry about the possible side effects of medication - I certainly do especially with psychiatric medication. I don't think Seroquel is an anti-depressant is it? If you are concerned about this you should discuss next time you see a doctor. It may just be another OCD offshoot but no harm in discussing it.

Hi PhilM yeah seroquel is not an anti depressant I was on it my last relapse they wanted to give me an anti agitation med because the lexapro was making me agitated I got all the severe side effects from it I was only worried about Seratonin syndrome because I read about the interactions I'm changing from lexapro to another med

Hi john1978 what other medication she changing you to ? I've taken these all at night to with no problem how much of seroquel are u taking ? And how do you find it ? Hope you get work soon

Hi Heidi I'm changing to Mirtazapine Actavis 15mg and on seroquel 50mg or I can take 25mg if makes me too tired I originally started on lexapro but that brought me really down its different for everybody it just didn't suit me . I was just worried about Seratonin syndrome because to change from the lexapro to the new med she has me taking both at night and with the seroquel until the lexapro runs out which is ten days time I'm after a week of all three I'm just a bit of a worrier always was

Hi I was in the same position has you with the same medications you have nothing to worry about I was on lexapro and seroquel 25-50mg then change to mirtazapine 15mg instead of lexapro and I done well really for 13 months!! I had my life back but I come of in the new year due to, to much weight gain and made me so depressed! I've been med free this year and now very very I'll so I got pdoc on Tuesday to probably go back on this combination because I just don't care no more just want mental health to be good! Don't worry about it your be fine you also have the Same thoughts has me mine are of harming my daughter and everyone driving me nuts! Good luck if you need to ask me anything just ask! Keep strong

Heidi x

Thanks guys was just a bit worried .

having a bit of a bad morning had harming thoughts involving my little boy again

its very hard to deal with at the moment i feel like i must be a bad person for thinking like this.

i don't remember struggling like this the last time i was doing well the last few days and now this morning its like back to struggling again

i am doing cbt online i dunno maybe its just a bad day

Sorry you are having a bad day. You are chastising yourself for having a thought. You can't control what thought pops up in your mind - but you can control what you do with that thought. I do the same thing. I get guilty for thinking something. The more you realize thoughts are just thoughts - you will be able to feel less guilty and anxious, and not give so much power to your thoughts.

• 1 year later...

Hi Snowdog sorry only replying to u now I went off seroquel about 3 months into starting it bud found I was doing so well on the mertazapine 15mg until 2 weeks ago anxiety and ocd thoughts back with a bang I feel like the mertazapine isn’t working as good as it was sorry don’t mean to be negative here this is just my real life experience at the moment maybe it’s just a bump on the road and I need to just work true it but this dark cloud is hard to shake at the moment negative thoughts keep popping up any I’m thinking do I need to up the dosage I saw my doc straight away wen this happened he basically said did I want to try a different med I had a bad experience the last time I tried lexapro so I said I’d stay on the mertazapine I dunno a couple of weeks after the mertazapine settled down in my system I was strong enough to move on from these thoughts and found I could go days weeks months without them coming into my mind now it’s like they are quite comfortable and I can’t shake them just looking to the good people here to offer some advice I’m literally willing to try anything I want to live my life as best I can and anything that I find helps I will let you know here . Thanks to anybody that can offer me any advice and I hope all is good with you of course snowdog sorry it’s taken this long my apologies