Dermatillomania and High School

Guest vultures

Guest vultures

Finally decided to open up about my derma in the hopes of maybe finding other people my age in similar situations.

I've had symptoms of derma since middle school, was officially diagnosed a year or two ago, and it's only gotten worse since then. Partially because of acne, partially because of growing stress. I'm constantly picking at my skin, regardless of where I am - my back, my arms, my neck my face. Luckily, I'm pretty clean so I've only gotten one serious infection from it.

I know that the people around me notice, especially when I'm picking at my back in the middle of class, but the embarrassment only makes me more nervous and have to pick more. I try to sit in the back of the class, both because of my derma and because of other OCD issues where I have to be able to see everyone in a room.

I feel really gross and unattractive - the only relationships I've been able to have are long distance, and I always feel too ashamed to tell them.

Anyway, that's kinda my life story, but any other dermadillos out there?

• 2 months later...
Guest Sophia

I haven't been diagnosed, but I have similar things happen to me. I'm going into high school this year, and I pick a lot at my face, back, and arms, sometimes where there's acne and sometimes when I just feel a light bump on my skin. It's annoying, and I always feel unclean and gross, like people would hate looking at me. The only thing that stops me is extreme pain :/

BUT, and I know this sounds weird, I think I have a way to combat it sometimes? So, in the shower, I lather my hands with soap and go over the areas I normally pick at. I don't pick at my skin, but I sort of feel the bumps and scabs there and clean them with soap, so I at least don't feel like I'm damaging myself. For some reason, it helps for a few hours afterward.

I wish you luck with this, and if you ever want to chat I'm here. Again, I'm not diagnosed with derma, but I relate with most of the symptoms (and, who knows, I could have it)

• 7 months later...

I have dermatillomania too.But only at my lips.I used to control my symptoms by putting lip balm.Maybe you could controls yours too by putting some skin mosituriser when you have the urge to peel.