Irritable bowel syndrome

So after years of suffering my gp has finally concluded that I probably have ibs due to my symptoms and after ruling out more serious disorders through blood tests. I hate the ibs, it is def worse when I'm anxious and I'm constantly worrying and obsessing about my bowels - needing to know where the toilet is etc it really limits the way I live my life and the things I do. Tomorrow at work I'm due to do a meeting which I feel anxious about as it's the first one I've done so I know I'm going to be anxious I'm obsessing and worried about my bowels I know my belly will be in agony the cramps are horrendous at times and I'm scared I need the loo but won't be able to leave :( it's so embarrassing. I was in the supermarket and got buscopan to try? Does anyone else experience this and how do u cope?

Thanks in advance! X

I get IBS when very anxious.

I have to work hard on my emotional reaction to the erroneous core beliefs - often but not always, OCD -related; when I regain the mental resilience to resist an unwanted emotional response, through applying what I have learned in CBT, anxiety reduces and the IBS eases.

Edited by taurean

Thanks for the advice Tauren! Sorry to hear you suffer with ibs too. It's a nightmare isn't it. Other people just don't get it either and it's quite embarrassing to talk about! I worry too about the effect the constant pain, bloating, upset tummys must be having on my gut surely can't be healthy.

My gp said I had ibs although at times it feels like a term they give you when they haven't got a clue!

Sorry to hear you are suffering though, I know how hard it is to have bowel problems and on top of OCD it's even harder. Did they look into food intolerances?

I agree there was no follow up or discussion of treatment, was just basically told there's no tests and that's probably what it is. They tested my blood to check for inflammation that would suggest maybe something more serious like IBD but thankfully that was clear. I sometimes feel like oh it's just ibs but it's actually really debilitating and life limiting :(

The doctor should be able to give you some tablets to take a little before meals that can help.

I manage OK now without them but when I was really bad they helped. I can't remember what they were called but they were specifically designed to treat IBS symptoms.

Yeh I might go back and see what they recommend! I just feel when you go to the gp now they aren't interested and it's do hard to get an appointment, the last time I actually had to go to the surgery because I couldn't get an appointment over the phone for weeks! I've bought buscopan so I might give them a go and see if they help at all. Thanks for the advice

I agree there was no follow up or discussion of treatment, was just basically told there's no tests and that's probably what it is. They tested my blood to check for inflammation that would suggest maybe something more serious like IBD but thankfully that was clear. I sometimes feel like oh it's just ibs but it's actually really debilitating and life limiting :(

I understand, having bowel problems alone can have a serious affect on your mental health, constantly worrying about whether you will need a bathroom and always needing to know there is one. Have they suggested trying any elimation diets with the help of a dietician? They can do a blood test for coeliac disease (gluten intolerance) was the test perhaps for that or was it definitely for general inflammation? I feel for you because irritable bowel syndrome is such a general diagnosis it can be really tough to manage.

Yeh it's like that anxiety and ibs go hand in hand and it turns into a viscous circle constantly worrying about the toilet on top of all the anxiety worries! No nothing like that I'm the first person to admit I don't have the best diet so I maybe should try be a bit healthier and see if it helps. I have started to avoid Chinese food etc tho because it was giving me terrible heartburn and I often feel really sick after meals but the pain is relieved by belching. I think they done all different blood tests. It's horrible isn't it gingerbread girl, no I haven't actually but I'll look into it thankyou x

The common denominator is Anxiety.

You are adding fuel to the fire Mrs B creating that anxiety cycle that exacerbates the problem.

It's right here that the CBT from a clinical psychologist can be so effective.

But you can work out your own "vicious flower" diagram - look it up from the search field on the main OCD-UK website - see how you are fuelling the fire and work on ways to stop feeding the flames and strengthening that anxiety cycle - "spoking" the wheels with CBT tools can really help.

Edited by taurean

I know I've always had bowel broblems but anxiety has always made them worse and I know stress/anxiety and ibs are linked so it makes sense! I was seeing a therapist for a bit but it was too expensive to carry on I'll maybe try it out again. I will have a look Tauren thanks for the advice

Thanks for that advice Chris! The cramps are so bad it like makes you want to tense all your toes until they pass! Such a nuisance :(

That's ok. Of really would recommend trying it. I actually don't think I had it because the pains stopped after that. But I never told the doctor I had it on so tight so they had no way of knowing.

I used to have IBS problems, but resolving my OCD fear (around using the toilet) my IBS completely disappeared. I am assuming the two were linked, my anxiety and fear around using the toilet making my body react in a way that made me need the toilet.

Thanks for the tip caramoole I've heard peppermint oil can be really helpful I might try that I think you can buy capsules. Glad things have improved for you!

I think mines is definitely linked to my anxiety too ashley. I try my best to face up to situations/triggers that make me anxious but the physical symptoms are such a nightmare and really embarrassing it turns into an obsession of toilet hunting/obsessing about my stomach! I'm glad things have improved for you. Hopefully mine will too soon.

I used to suffer with IBS terribly for years (constipation-related mostly with occasional diarrhoea). I then went on a high-fibre diet which has really helped, and whenever I get stomach cramps I take buscopan.