Truth be Told: A journey from the dark side of OCD

Truth be Told: A journey from the dark side of OCD is my first book. It was under development for more than 18 months. It is, in short, about the journey from a very dark place to a place filled with hope. It is available in electronic form on all Amazon websites.

The book details how I got in trouble with the police (OCD induced), how that led to me seeking mental health help. to a diagnosis and ultimately to my recovery from a severe/extreme case of OCD. I think it's a pretty powerful book. It's blunt, it's graphic, it might even be shocking. But it's also about how love and determination can overcome a mountain of troubles.

I'm currently working on a paperback version of the book and I'll let you all know when that is available.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been reading it PB, I' m really enjoying it.. Not your suffering obviously but I think it's very well written. Descriptive and honest. 

The only thing I have noticed is the electronic version has no markers between past (childhood) and past (adulthood). I'm guessing they missed out the separators, so it can take me a few lines to see what time in your life you are speaking about. Not that that really matters I just thought I should mention it incase they messed up!

I love your mention about learning to take a **** in the woods. A bit of humour even when reminiscing on such a dark time in your life! 

I'm at the bit where you are just starting to seek professional help.

Really excellent read so far.

X

Thanks for the feedback, em. I really appreciate it. The problem with separators between sections of various ages is mine alone. I was responsible for formatting the book. Thank you for bringing that to my attention. I'll have to have a look and see what can be done.

4 minutes ago, Em24 said:

I've been reading it PB, I' m really enjoying it.. Not your suffering obviously but I think it's very well written. Descriptive and honest. 

Ditto :original:

I must be reading in tandem with you Em......I'm at about the same stage about a third in

31 minutes ago, PolarBear said:

Thanks for the feedback, em. I really appreciate it. The problem with separators between sections of various ages is mine alone. I was responsible for formatting the book. Thank you for bringing that to my attention. I'll have to have a look and see what can be done.

Ah I don't think it matters! It's not a hardship at all, easy enough to work out after a sentence or two x

30 minutes ago, Caramoole said:

Ditto :original:

I must be reading in tandem with you Em......I'm at about the same stage about a third in

Yes I think we r :biggrin: x

It makes me want to cry :crybaby:

I can recognise so much of myself, identify so many of our other struggling members.......can "feel" that fear, despair, isolation.....the descent into insanity, the utter hopelessness.  It's a powerful read and I'm only 42℅ in!!

I'd recommend every GP and health care professional should read this book.......it may just give them an insight into how vile, invasive, destructive this disorder really is.

3 hours ago, Caramoole said:

It makes me want to cry :crybaby:

I can recognise so much of myself, identify so many of our other struggling members.......can "feel" that fear, despair, isolation.....the descent into insanity, the utter hopelessness.  It's a powerful read and I'm only 42℅ in!!

I'd recommend every GP and health care professional should read this book.......it may just give them an insight into how vile, invasive, destructive this disorder really is.

Perhaps you would honour PB by adding a review of the book in Amazon? 

I absolutely loved The Little Book of OCD and gave it a great review.

Alas this book would be too much for me as I don't do well reading graphic descriptions of others' OCD, but thankfully many others don't have that problem and, yes, such books should vastly help the understanding of healthcare professionals :57439eb60db27_thumbup:

If anyone would like to place a review on Amazon but wish to remain incognito, you can - as I did - do that. 

Go into your Amazon account settings, and edit your public name to the pseudonym you would like to show in the review :57439eb60db27_thumbup:

Save the changes :)

10 hours ago, taurean said:

Alas this book would be too much for me as I don't do well reading graphic descriptions of others' OCD,

I was actually thinking of you, Roy, and knowing your particular challenges, thinking this book probably wouldn't be a good fit for you.

5 minutes ago, PolarBear said:

I was actually thinking of you, Roy, and knowing your particular challenges, thinking this book probably wouldn't be a good fit for you.

Spot on PolarBear, you are so good at remembering everyone's individual problems - that is a handy skill to have :cricket::thumbup:

Have you worked out what drove you to the online chats?  In OCD's confusing world, have you managed to identify what was going on, what relief/release it afforded you as a compulsion?

I know you've afforded a lot of time considering the vast array of behaviours OCD manifests in, I know you struggled with your Psychiatrists explanation that "It's all OCD", I just wondered whether you'd arrived at a conclusion that satisfies your puzzlement/bewilderment?

OCD, as we know can drive people insane and see them prepared to go to bizarre lengths to prove or disprove theories....like a straight guy sleeping with another guy to check out the obsessive fears they may be gay......I suspect this was a similar scenario.

I haven't finished the book yet.....so forgive me if you've explained further....I just wondered if you'd managed to work it all out in a way that you understand and are at peace with.......or is it (that element) something you accept but don't totally understand?

No it's alright. I don't know that I give a definitive answer to that in the book. You nailed it on the head. Although bizarre (really one of the most bizarre compulsions I've come across), at it's root it was simply a checking behavior -- Am I or am I not? This is a place where pedophiles hang out, so if I act like a pedophile, then I'll know for sure that I am one.

What threw me for a loop about my psychiatrist, beyond his declaration that "It's all OCD" was this thing he told me that I had become fixated on the subject. I struggled with that one for many months. It wasn't until I was well into helping people here on the forum that I started to understand what he meant by fixate. He meant that you end up doing so many compulsions, so much of your energy, time and brain power is devoted to a subject, that it becomes all encompassing. I've certainly seen that on the forum, in a variety of different themes and ways.

9 hours ago, PolarBear said:

What threw me for a loop about my psychiatrist, beyond his declaration that "It's all OCD" was this thing he told me that I had become fixated on the subject. I struggled with that one for many months. It wasn't until I was well into helping people here on the forum that I started to understand what he meant by fixate. He meant that you end up doing so many compulsions, so much of your energy, time and brain power is devoted to a subject, that it becomes all encompassing. I've certainly seen that on the forum, in a variety of different themes and ways.

Indeed :yes:

There are many for whom it "appears" at first glance, goes beyond checking, to the extent that they want to prove that they are what they fear they are....as opposed to proving that they're not.  Such is the strength & power of intrusive thoughts and the belief in them.  This isn't really explained very well in the material commonly available.

Horrible condition :(

Thanks for you honesty PB