Statement on Jo Cox murder and reporting

Guest OCD-UK RSS

Guest OCD-UK RSS

Yesterday the nation came to terms with the tragic loss of the MP Jo Cox, and we all send our deepest sympathies to the husband, children and family of Jo Cox.

Whilst the full facts about this brutal murder are yet to emerge, we are concerned about the irresponsible journalism speculating that the perpetrator possibly suffered with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD).

People with OCD are rightly concerned that press coverage around the case. It’s worth highlighting the fact that OCD does not predispose people to commit violence.

For journalists to headline the possibility that the alleged murderer suffered with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder is most-likely irrelevant to the murder and is harmful to almost 1-million law-abiding, non-violent and wonderful individuals who live with OCD each and every day.

Today’s headline on the front of the Mirror website risks adding to the stigma people with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder face, and we would encourage the media to report this issue appropriately and responsibly and wait for relevant facts to emerge first.

Finally, we echo the words of Jo’s husband in urging everyone to unite to fight against hatred.

View the full article

A really good response, Ashley - calm and measured. Important to put out this sort of statement.

i echo your good wishes for her family and also the words of her husband who urges everyone to unite in the fight against hatred. Definitely the best response to hatred is to show forgiveness and love - but not many of us are able to respond in that way.

I have already written to the editor of the Mirror to politely ask they review how they report OCD because of this case (they also published unhelpful references to OCD in articles about Paul Hollywood and Ian Poulter last year). The letter was polite and co-operational, mainly just asking them to review what they publish and I have offered to help them with clarity on any OCD story they want to run in the future.  No idea if the editor will read the letter or take any notice.

But regardless of that, depending how this case pans out in court, and it seems to be panning out that this guy is a political extremist. If the reporting of the OCD angle was completely irrelevant and more stigmatic, I may look to make a formal compliant and talk to the media watchdog. 

I think that there was a murder a few years ago in Bristol where a girl involved had ADHD. It had nothing to do with the murder though. It does appear to be quite a common thing that reporters mention mental health issues even though they have no importance on the crime.  It is bad journalism I think.