Can OCD be about anything?

Guest mentallyill

Guest mentallyill
21 minutes ago, Handy said:

Being deafened myself, I know what this is. I did not experience it as ocd, BUT as the mind trying to make sounds. Beethoven went through this. Also, I cant remember new music, weird.

A lot of hearing people are going to say this is ocd, however, its just a natural thing the brain is doing & you think that you're becoming crazy, but you are not!

What do you mean by "make sounds"? Tinnitus? And why can't you remember new music? Like I said before I would prefer OCD over having actually lost some of my musical ability, which has made me so happy in the past.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The brain makes sounds, voices, etc. to make up for a loss of hearing things. I dont know why mine wont remeber new music but it remembers the old music.

You are so worried about this that it interferes with your perception of recall. You're in a state of fight or flight so everything is tense, even your vocal cords. You fixate on the perceived changes in pitch (they most likely are minuscule or non existent but your fixation makes them seem real) and think you are out of tune. 

It's intensity of focus and relentless worry about it that is making you more tense and causes even more fixation. You have not lost your talent and it is not depreciating- you need to learn to not care and know that this OCD fixation will pass at some point. It is not forever, go with the flow for now in the knowledge that OCD is making you doubt your perception and making you worry about your abilities, and the anxiety is making your muscles and vocal cords tense up.

Also, stop googling deafness and pitch distortion and don't even bother googling tinnitus. The internet searches are compulsions which you need to stop to eventually alleviate the intrusive thoughts and sensations regarding your singing (obsessions).

Guest mentallyill
53 minutes ago, Orwell1984 said:

Also, stop googling deafness and pitch distortion and don't even bother googling tinnitus. The internet searches are compulsions which you need to stop to eventually alleviate the intrusive thoughts and sensations regarding your singing (obsessions).

wow.. did you hack my computer lol? thanks so much for some really concrete advice <3 and 1984 great book. read last summer. 

Guest mentallyill
50 minutes ago, PolarBear said:

Orwell's been around. She knows the likely compulsions someone is going to do for a given obsession.

yeah or she's big brother

Lol!! :a1_cheesygrin: I used to be really paranoid that big brother was going to be an imminent reality! 1984 seems to be on our doorstep in so many ways. Great book :)

On 06/28/2016 at 00:47, mentallyill said:

Yeah I think that's probably true for the most part.. but of course there's OCD types like POCD. If somebody were freaking out because they're realizing suppressed pedophilia, I don't know if I would consider their anxiety irrational

Well I want to go careful not to reassure you to much but I'm pretty certain when people have anxiety over whether they're repressing sexual thoughts of children it is quite different from ocd. People who do that don't constantly  check  their reactions and things like  that they just have an anxious feeling.

23 hours ago, mentallyill said:

Like I said before I would prefer OCD over having actually lost some of my musical ability, which has made me so happy in the past.

Must be the first time I saw  someone prefer that they have OCD.

Hello, MI

I'm glad to have been able to help you a little! I could really empathise with what you were saying. Before things got really bad for me, I wrote all the time. I had a big summer a few years back where it was all I did and I had a great time. I have very fond memories of it and wish I could get back to that. I still write now, but basically, my OCD made me doubt a lot of things and then I wondered what I could and couldn't write. Did my characters have to be controlled in their behaviour? Was this action inappropriate? On top of that, I tried hard to prove to myself that everything was okay and that I could carry on as per. Long story short, i was terribly confused - I was having a moral/spiritual crisis as part of all this, due to the content of some of the material; nothing harmful, but as my psychologist pointed out to me, I was being 'rigid' with myself. Anyway, I went on Prozac and I found that wiped my creativity out; I barely wrote anything and watched a lot of telly. Very upsetting.

In 2014, I weaned myself off Prozac as I felt I would rather write than not and write I did! I was still very unhappy, though and very lonely and depressed and uncertain of what I could and couldn't do. My Mum's death left me upset and I spent a lot of 2015 feeling very bad (which is sad as aside from my emotions, 2015 was a pretty good year, all things considered! :P) I have had moments when 'm so desperate to write something that I do and then I get very depressed over what I feel is a loss of a gift and go on line to moan about it/seek reassurance. A lot of what I wrote last year is very shaky and I feel I lack that lovely headspace with which to write; that little dark area you can take yourself into, which makes me a little sad. 

Now I'm on citalopram, and I've got to tell you, it's a lot better. Whereas Prozac is like an emergency paint job, painting over all the stuff that makes you feel bad, but also over your creativity, citalopram does the job properly. I'm on a very small dosage. I feel it has affected my creativity to some degree. I don't write a great deal right now, but fingers crossed. :) It's still there, after all; I go to writers' groups and I write poetry. 

I hope you feel better. :hug: You still have your gift; it's still there. You won't lose it, I promise. Sometimes, it's just sleeping and it'll take a little jiggle to wake it up. 

C x

On 28/06/2016 at 13:06, Ashley said:

No, this really is the wrong message to be giving out.   We need to encourage people to tackle OCD treatment using Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) which includes Exposure Response Prevention (ERP) treatment.

ER alone is simply the wrong approach in my opinion.

I think you are right. Although it does appear as if OCD UK has stated that CBT is the only way to get better which of don't agree with because some people find different treatments work for them.  Although CBT is the best treatment in most cases.

26 minutes ago, BristolChris said:

I think you are right. Although it does appear as if OCD UK has stated that CBT is the only way to get better which of don't agree with because some people find different treatments work for them.  Although CBT is the best treatment in most cases.

I think it's fair to say that ERP is firstly the gold standard, BUT whatever works - if some gain long-term benefit from SSRI's (and find the side-effects worth it), then why not? 

If you just take meds, you're masking the symptoms, if they work at all for you. CBT is the gold standard treatment for OCD. ERP is one part of CBT.

We don't advise any other treatment because there are no other reliable, effective options.

17 hours ago, paradoxer said:

I think it's fair to say that ERP is firstly the gold standard

No it's not, that's only part of the solution.

Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) is likely to be the most effective treatment for OCD (either with or without meds).  CBT of course will include ERP within the behavioural aspect of treatment.  

4 hours ago, Ashley said:

No it's not, that's only part of the solution.

Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) is likely to be the most effective treatment for OCD (either with or without meds).  CBT of course will include ERP within the behavioural aspect of treatment.  

Did you ever watch Obssessed? Its on Amazon,it shows this therapy  at work.

4 hours ago, Handy said:

Don't you take meds Polarbear?

Yes I do. I am one of the minority who responded fantastically to meds. They did not, however, get rid of all my obsessions. I took cbt, got educated and put OCD in its place. I would not be in the great place I am today without meds or CBT.

Guest mentallyill
5 hours ago, PolarBear said:

Yes I do. I am one of the minority who responded fantastically to meds. They did not, however, get rid of all my obsessions. I took cbt, got educated and put OCD in its place. I would not be in the great place I am today without meds or CBT.

sometimes I think well, if I "beat" this obsession my OCD will just find something else (potentially worse).. I think CBT is probably the way to go because it gets to the root of the problem or something.  

Hi MI- meds work differently for everyone. I am a long term user of Prozac and I'm also an artist. I have been able to be creative thankfully. I used to be on citalopram and I was creative also but Prozac suits me more and keeps my mood regulated which is why I still use it. It's more so for mood rather than OCD.

CBT is the main thing that helped my OCD and employing it is pretty much automatic with me now. So try that :)

9 hours ago, mentallyill said:

I think CBT is probably the way to go because it gets to the root of the problem or something.  

CBT is the ONLY treatment OCD-UK recommend and is generally the ONLY treatment offered here in the UK by our NHS but not for the reason you gave.

CBT is not so much about getting to the root of the problem, sometimes we never quite know but that does not mean it can not be treated.   CBT features two aspects, the (C) which looks at how we think, the thoughts we have and our we allow our emotions to interpret the meaning we give them. The (B) looks at how we allow the thoughts interpret what we do which will include exposure exercises, sometimes called Exposure Response Prevention.   Doing the first (C) makes doing the (B) more understandable.

Yes, the OCD will shift around at first, but Polarbear is right, the more you master CBT you quickly become master of killing off new aspects of OC before they become OCD! :)

I don't use meds or CBT therapy, just cold turkey with common sense at this point anyway. Meds & CBT don't cure OCD, I cure OCD, but Meds & CBT are great tools to use if you need them.