A little mixed up

Hi all

Wanted to check in and report.

I'm feeling a little uncertain about everything and feeling very tired all the time; things just seem a little up in the air.

As we know I tend to focus on my feelings a lot but right now I'm feeling a real sense of ennui about my life and a sense that something is missing. I had an odd day at work today after two days off; I tend to feel like I just can't relax properly anymore and it worries me because I can't stop worrying about worrying! I just can't switch off, even though I know it's OCD that's making me feel like this. I feel very lonely on the inside, I guess and am really struggling. I just feel like a failure who is going from one psychologist and counsellor to another; I can't quite reach the root of the problem because I can't stop feeling worried and sad all the time. I don't know how to be happy because I just feel very 'on alert' in myself. I can't find a lot of joy or escapism in my life and feel very isolated and alone in the world. I can't entertain myself properly. The antidepressants make me feel better, but also numb and uncreative. I know I need to do things that make me happy, but I'm used to worrying too much now. I don't know how to relax. 

Anyway, yes. That's where I'm at. 

C x

Hi Cub,

Sorry to hear you're going through a tough patch at the moment. Being unable to relax is something I get with my OCD - it feels like I should always be worrying about something - my brain just doesn't want to take a break. OCD is a terribly isolating condition. I remember going to the OCD conference last year, and up on the screen was something like... 'OCD can be a lonely place. Say hello to the person next to you, as they're probably going through a similar experience'. That moved me so much, as I think it was the first time I really realised how isolated I felt with my OCD. I wonder if there are any OCD support groups near where you live? That could be something to look into?

Thanks for the kind reply Torsa. Sadly, rough patches are my life right now and it's a bit upsetting. Like you, I feel I should be worrying about something and feel a bit deflated if I feel something's been solved, because worrying is my default mood. I've never been to an OCD conference, but I'd like to go to one; it might help.

I'm sorry that you've been feeling isolated; do you find being here helps a bit? I feel I'm going around in circles right now and it's difficult to keep going. I did consider an OCD support group but I was actually worried it would make my condition worse. I know. :S

Keep going and don't give up!

C x