Need Book Titles/Articles - Stop Obsessing

Guest Bluheela

Guest Bluheela

After talking to some of the members today I feel encouraged to find books or Internet Scholarly Articles that deal with stopping obsessing behavior, particularly intrusive thoughts, ruminations, mental obsessions & maybe ERP.

I have 'Brain Lock' and though good it is only one source.  What resources do people have access to that are helpful?

Thanks

At the risk of boring people - again I suggest the articles of Steven Philipson - available online. IMO he is one of the great experts when it comes to tackling the disorder. Also, essays (also online) by Fred Penzel. 

Click on the link to the OCD-UK website, then hover the cursor over  "Learn about OCD" and check out some of the links. Click on the shop to view books available and their synopsis - though as you are in Australia you will probably best buy locally; the choice available will give you some ideas though. If buying through Amazon, we have a link that beneftis the charity which you can find  from the OCD-UK website homepage. Hopefully that will work for your Amazon in Australia. 

I have the Books "Break Free From OCD" and "Overcoming Obsessive Thoughts" which are featured in the OCD-UK bookshop and I think are very good. 

Edited by taurean
correction

5 hours ago, Bluheela said:

intrusive thoughts, ruminations, mental obsessions & maybe ERP

To be honest Brain Lock is over a decade old, and whilst it does over some good self-help techniques my advise is to now focus not on ERP but on learning about cognitive approach to utilise CBT.  

Check our website for recommended books.

2 hours ago, paradoxer said:

I suggest the articles of Steven Philipson

To be honest I really don't like the Philipson articles, he doesn't add anything new, other than unhelpful acronyms.

8 hours ago, Ashley said:

To be honest Brain Lock is over a decade old, and whilst it does over some good self-help techniques my advise is to now focus not on ERP but on learning about cognitive approach to utilise CBT.  

Check our website for recommended books.

To be honest I really don't like the Philipson articles, he doesn't add anything new, other than unhelpful acronyms.

I understand - though I have to say, his works have helped me. Apparently he coined the term Pure-O, but since concedes it's a bit of a misnomer. Re acronyms, I'm reminded of a web-site I saw recently by a sufferer - well intended obviously, full of sections with 'categorized' OCD - a terrible mistake in my opinion. 

Re Brain Lock - if I remember rightly , there's too much emphasis on 'it's not me it's my OCD' which as a knee jerk mantra - can be reassurance. 

Will give the book section a look. 

Brainlock is over 20 years old, but good because it explains why the brain, like a dog with a bone or the needle stuck in the groove of a long-playing record, locks in OCD and doesn't let go of intrusions. 

It also gave us the Four Steps methodology for treating intrusions as an adjunct to CBT - this helped me a lot. 

N.b. any  saying or positive self-talk can become a ritual - if we let it. The labelling part of The Four Steps for me is purely a necessary process - not a ritual or mantra - and that I think is what Jeffrey Schwartz had in mind. 

This thinking, as CBT, has naturally evolved. I had, about 18 months ago, a brilliant short  (refresher) one-to-one course of CBT with a young recently-qualified clinical psychologist who taught mindfulness-based CBT for OCD. 

This took my understanding of how the brain functions in OCD to a new level, explaining more about what is happening in our thinking when obsessions plus compulsions lead to disorder - and how we can learn to switch away from the active"doing"  part of the brain and into the relaxed just "being" part of the brain. 

Like with "Brainlock" this "cutting edge"  approach, taught to her during her training and PhD learning, was a revelation to me. 

The book "The Mindfulness Workbook For OCD"  co-written by Jon Herschfield and Tom Corboy, is the book on this my therapist asked me to utilise. 

For further information on how I could use and access mindfulness as a beneficial distraction and help for OCD and also, in my opinion, a better way of living , I discovered "Mindfulness on the Go Peace in Your Pocket"   by Padraig O'Morain.

Remember, like the Four Steps, mindfulness is simply a helpful additional dish on top of the" main course" of CBT. 

Also, like Four Steps, for me personally it has been a revelation in my understanding.

Edited by taurean
Clarification
Guest Bluheela

Thank You every one of you for providing insight of books/material.  I appreciate that you have taken the time to pass this information on.  Having had the disorder diagnosed from 1993 when I was 30, I now reallise there were signs going back to when I was a child that I had OCD and I was well and truly on the way to eventually getting BiPolar II.  It is like a jig-saw isn't it  We need to put the pieces together and take seriously recovery.

I found something on the net through my relentless searching - Veronica Walsh's CBT Blog.  She is from Dublin Ireland and has a lot of free workshop stuff online including mindfulness.

Happy Searching - if you are looking that is (LOL).

'You shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free' - my favourite because OCD often tells us lies (something bad will happen) and convinces us to be fearful of these lies.

I intend to go hunting high and low until I get some answers - I will start with CBT, maybe buy a few books - so much of my therapy over the years was not done correctly by the therapist but I have learnt, though, that it is not helpful to play the victim either.  Time to become the expert (not perfectionist) in these matters (LOL). 

51 minutes ago, Bluheela said:

found something on the net through my relentless searching

51 minutes ago, Bluheela said:

intend to go hunting high and low until I get some answers -

I wouldn't suggest you carry on with this approach.Looks pretty much like high octane compulsing to me. 

Remember the acronym KISS - keep it simple stupid. 

A lot of sufferers seem to struggle because they - simply - don't understand the condition and that it's lies deceipt inverted thinking and demands for certainty are no fault of theirs, and this keeps them stuck. 

The material previously suggested on this thread would put you right on that, and give you the - actually quite simple - tools to set out on the path to recovery. 

Making the changes in thinking and recovery is the difficult part, because only we ourselves can do this. 

Edited by taurean
Clarification