I hate you OCD

So here I am again, some 12 years since my OCD kicked off, 4 years since I first felt I was able to cope with life, sitting on a plastic bag with my latex gloves on crying and shaking all because my husband has a sickness bug. Of course the lovely caring wife I am has just shouted at him for being sick, for washing his hands wrong, then come the endless questions of where was he sick, what did he touch, did he kiss the kids before bed. The poor bloke is ill and all I can do is go on at him. I know this will pass but now, right now I'm a horrible person, I hate this person :(

Sorry your having a hard time and your husband has a sickness bug. 

I would tell him you are sorry for shouting its just your ocd and you hope he feels better soon. 

Don't worry about if he kissed the children as theres nothing you can do about that.

I would clear up any sick and make sure everyone washes hands before they eat but other than that not too much you can do. 

I have this type of ocd so would be either in hiding or frantic cleaning mode. We do normally never catch sick bugs so at least my cleaning does some good but living with the daily panic is much worse than say a sick bug or two a year. 

57 minutes ago, Flower girl said:

I know this will pass but now, right now I'm a horrible person, I hate this person :(

So do something about it. Apologize in the morning and make a commitment to only clean what's necessary and stop being so nitpicky. You can do this. Ride out the anxiety caused. It won't feel good but it won't harm you.

OCD is an extremely selfish and demanding disorder. It demands that one does its bidding. Try to remember that OCD is the worst contaminant. Things cannot be as clean as you'd like - and have you live a normal life. As said, try to make it up to your husband, and aim to do better (allow for more contamination) next time. 

As an aside, I hate - as do most of us - OCD too, but try not to hate it too much (or at least give it the respect that hate can demand). It gives the disorder too much power.  

That strong emotional response is fuelled by the powerful but irrational error message that the OCD throws up.It is totally believable since the message transmits in the usual way. 

You know the normal response but the overwhelming message to you is threat, risk, isn't it? 

To tackle this you do have to start to ignore that error message - do as PolarBear says. 

Sure your anxiety will soar - but who are you going to believe?