TV thriller/drama 'Whitechapel'

Hello all.

I watched this series when it was released, and put it on occasionally to watch again. I'm going to watch an episode or two this evening.

I just remembered the main character has OCD, it's not a main part of the story but became more prominent in the last series when the character was really stressed/under pressure at work

It doesn't go into detail or particularly explain how OCD works, but I do think it's a better representation than other tv shows. 

I think what impressed me was the characters distress when following rituals/compulsions, but I think it was a shame they didn't address it properly.

Did anyone watch this show and notice? What did you think?

No I haven't. Is it any good?

My boyfriend just had a brain wave about the show 'obsessive compulsive cleaners', which was, do you think the show is merely on television to sell the products in the ad breaks? 

It was on tele after a property show, and almost all the adverts on during the breaks were selling bleach or cleaning products. If people are watching it thinking 'omg that makes my house look like ****' maybe it's purely to sell bleach and cleaning products?

It's not bad, it's about a man with ocd and Tourettes but if I was the producer i would change a few things in it. There is 3 more films my psychologist said to watch, but I havnt watched them yet. 

Your boyfriend could be right, I've never looked at it like that.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/18/2016 at 10:26, biscuitcat said:

Hello all.

I watched this series when it was released, and put it on occasionally to watch again. I'm going to watch an episode or two this evening.

I just remembered the main character has OCD, it's not a main part of the story but became more prominent in the last series when the character was really stressed/under pressure at work

It doesn't go into detail or particularly explain how OCD works, but I do think it's a better representation than other tv shows. 

I think what impressed me was the characters distress when following rituals/compulsions, but I think it was a shame they didn't address it properly.

Did anyone watch this show and notice? What did you think?

That's good - in some other depictions the excruciating pain that OCD can cause is downplayed or understated.  

• 2 weeks later...

There is a good film in which the main character has OCD. When I watched it there were, to me, clear observations of someone with OCD. Jack Nicholson plays the affected guy in 'As Good as it Gets'.

Edited by whitebeam
spelling