Ignoring OCD

Guest tigerlady

Guest tigerlady

I was making a character in Skyrim (a video game) and I was looking at different armors.

All of a sudden, my OCD was like "she looks kinda young, and some of thise armors are semi-revealing, what's wrong with you"

I ignored it, told it "no", but it just got worse, made me feel like I was turned on by it.

And I did get a bit worried, by the end, but I quickly realized it was ridiculous.

My point is that OCD stepping up its game, if you're ignoring it, doesn't mean your fears are true. It's just trying to get you to notice.

Don't worry!

Great job!  When you first start ignoring it, it's really tough because it definitely steps up its game.  But it's all just YOU!  It's really just your mind's insecurity about being able to stop the OCD bully at last.  Stay strong.  You CAN! :)

Guest tigerlady

Thank you! :) Something that's been on my mind, a lot, lately is how much better I'm dealing with triggers/spikes/etc compared to how I have been before.

Like, I've gotten over things quicker than I would have, and with more confidence.

I'm so happy, and so proud, and so excited!

Guest tigerlady
14 minutes ago, jimangie1973 said:

Yes it feels great when you get the upper hand!

Oh, you can say that, again!

8 minutes ago, alisando123 said:

Good for you!!! :a1_cheesygrin: it's so true how when you start to ignore it, it almost attempts to shout even louder, but yeah it doesn't mean the thoughts you're having are true at all :) 

Thanks, friend! It's just like Stewie in that Family Guy episode  where he keeps saying "Mom" over and over again :tongue:

Just now, tigerlady said:

Oh, you can say that, again!

Thanks, friend! It's just like Stewie in that Family Guy episode  where he keeps saying "Mom" over and over again :tongue:

I don't think I've seen that! I'll have to watch it and then I can just think of that when my OCD is shouting at me!

Guest tigerlady
9 minutes ago, alisando123 said:

I don't think I've seen that! I'll have to watch it and then I can just think of that when my OCD is shouting at me!

You can find it on youtube, if you search "stewie mom" And I think I'm gonna think of that, too :tongue:

There was also another instance that reminded me of intrusive thoughts. Stewie thought of how Meg would look in hip huggers, and didn't like it, so he put it out of mind. But, it kept coming back, and he would tell it to go away, but it only made it stronger, so he started fighting the thought bubble itself.

It reminded me of obsessions and compulsions. Like, we try to push away the thoughts, make them go away, but they don't, so we resort to compulsions, or fighting the thought bubble.

Seeing that scene, just made it seem so unreasonable, you know? Nobody else in the episode knew his thought, but it caused him extreme amounts of distress all the same. Like, with our thoughts, we feel awful, but they really are just thoughts. Nothing more.

You know?

Oh, and the episode is Don't Make Me Over.

3 minutes ago, tigerlady said:

You can find it on youtube, if you search "stewie mom" And I think I'm gonna think of that, too :tongue:

There was also another instance that reminded me of intrusive thoughts. Stewie thought of how Meg would look in hip huggers, and didn't like it, so he put it out of mind. But, it kept coming back, and he would tell it to go away, but it only made it stronger, so he started fighting the thought bubble itself.

It reminded me of obsessions and compulsions. Like, we try to push away the thoughts, make them go away, but they don't, so we resort to compulsions, or fighting the thought bubble.

Seeing that scene, just made it seem so unreasonable, you know? Nobody else in the episode knew his thought, but it caused him extreme amounts of distress all the same. Like, with our thoughts, we feel awful, but they really are just thoughts. Nothing more.

You know?

Oh, and the episode is Don't Make Me Over.

I'll definitely look that up! It does sound relatable to how we feel sometimes as OCD sufferers! 

Guest tigerlady
1 minute ago, alisando123 said:

I'll definitely look that up! It does sound relatable to how we feel sometimes as OCD sufferers! 

I actually had to rewatch it a few times, because I was so surprised at how accurate it was! Let me know what yiu think after you do :)