Statistic Of Those suffering From Mental Illness

Whilst out and about on my way to visit friends yesterday, i came across a headline on the train suggesting 1 in 6 people will suffer from a mental illness. 

I can well imagine that may be so, and therefore it makes it all the more important that  health services should be providing much more to the needy sufferers. But it just doesn't seem to be happening. 

For me, the most important thing has to be getting people diagnosed properly i.e. as to the  type of mental illness from which they  re suffering -   then into working on some appropriate treatment, and as soon as possible.  

• 3 weeks later...

When you think about it, 1 in 6 people is a high number to be suffering with mental illnesses. 

Yet as you say, health services just aren't upping their game. People often feel they have something going on but don't know what it is. This is also down to a lack of awareness for mental illnesses. Especially OCD.

OCD is often joked about and it is infuriating because I bet they don't know the full extent of what it's truely like! 

I think health services *cough* NHS *cough* need to publicise MH issues and make people aware of how serious they truely are. There's just not enough recognition nowadays.

The health service is running its usual roller-coaster of financial woes, and what ought to happen and what can are far apart. 

Mental health issues are a massive problem. 

And the stigma people feel, and their reticence to open up about their difficulties,  needs tackling. 

I have, still, only had one real bad response to my individual awareness spreading - the person concerned mellowed a little later - and I have done lots of it ; this encourages me. 

The National Health Service in the UK doesn't have the resources to provide for the needy - charities like ours, self-help and, where it can be afforded, private funded CBT are though available.