Did you know? - 10 Mental Health Facts

Courtesy of an email from the Mental Health Foundation.

In the UK, there are more suicides on Mondays than on any other day of the week.

1 in 10 people will have some form of depression at any one time.

By the year 2020, it is estimated that depression will be second only to heart disease as an international disease and disability burden.

Around half of all people with depression do not go to their GP. Two-thirds of those who do see their GP present with physical ailments or sleeping problems rather than psychological symptoms.

In 2002 / 2003, the economic and social cost of mental health problems in England stood at £77 billion.

Among teenagers, rates of depression and anxiety have increased by 70 per cent in the past 25 years.

40 per cent of older people living in care homes are depressed.

Approximately 2 million people of working age in Britain are currently taking psychiatric drugs.

Job applicants with a diagnosis of diabetes are significantly more likely to be offered a position than applicants with a diagnosis of depression, all other factors being equal.

One in ten children aged 5 to 15 experience clinically defined mental health problems.

Guest Creative Cat

Interesting info. Thanks for the post.

CC

P.S. I like your new quote about getting back up when you get knocked down. Its a good motto. I'll keep doing the same.

P.S. I like your new quote about getting back up when you get knocked down.

Can't remember the name of the band, but it was all that was being played in Bulgaria the first time I ever went skiing, stuck with me ever since....

Guest Black Wolf

Can't remember the name of the band, but it was all that was being played in Bulgaria the first time I ever went skiing, stuck with me ever since....

The song was used as the theme tune for the 1998 football world cup I think, with the red white and blue chicken mascot methinks

Guest Muse_Man

Courtesy of an email from the Mental Health Foundation.

In the UK, there are more suicides on Mondays than on any other day of the week.

1 in 10 people will have some form of depression at any one time.

By the year 2020, it is estimated that depression will be second only to heart disease as an international disease and disability burden.

In 2002 / 2003, the economic and social cost of mental health problems in England stood at £77 billion.

Among teenagers, rates of depression and anxiety have increased by 70 per cent in the past 25 years.

In a twisted way this makes me feel better because I seem more normal. It seems we are burdeoning ourselves and creating a 'fix it' society where we have to pay out expensively in money and emotional terms.

Job applicants with a diagnosis of diabetes are significantly more likely to be offered a position than applicants with a diagnosis of depression, all other factors being equal.

It is important to not always trust statistical surveys as they can be unreliable and poor indiactor, due who carrys them out and whether they are truely representational. If this is true thats just plain ignorance and unfair.

But at least people are able to get help more easily now, even though so many don't. Imagine what it must have been like 50 years ago? Never mind a few hundred years ago! x

It is good that there is more awareness on mental health and less barriers for people to seek help, but unfortunately this society seems to be cancelling it out by creating more emotionally challenged people. For example, the traditional family unit and values seems to be breaking down, so the support and care needed to produce emotional stable children and to allow them a future good mental in adult life is not there. I am talking in general terms here but this seems a potential time bomb and gradual decline unless we look after our children more. There is a limit to what the government can do with intiatives and guidiance, its seems their role at the moment is a 'fix it' one.

Our public and private institutions have a role to play to, for example Businesses have a welfare role to give parents more opportunities to look after their children.

Stuart :)

Edited by muse_man
Guest twoshoes

these figures are scary!

i wonder whether it's cause of the environment,

or cause people are getting weaker and weaker mentally

I think that it is better diaganosis and a more understanding attitude.

After WW1 soldiers with PTSD were said to be shell-shocked - same thing, now they get help (not enough I know) but my Great Grandad was at the Battle of the Somme, my Nan (his daughter) said he was obsessed by a fear that there were German soldiers in the garden. He never got any help and never returned to any resembelance of his former self. My Uncle (different bloodline) has OCD, Classic aviator style OCD, he is in his 80's now, they treat him for depression but leave the OCD alone, if he had been diagnosed in his 20's and todays methds were used just think of his potential.

Another Grandparent suffered with PTSD after a mining accident, he had a good GP and it was the late 60's he went as a voluntry admission into the local Mental Hospital, proper old victorian place with lots of locks :lol2: He wasn't cured but he got help and was much improved, there was still he stigma attached to his condition but he bit the bullet for the sake of his family.

Things have changed so much over the 100 years, progress tends to speed up, I think we will become overwhelmed by the sheer number of mental health problems over the next few years.

The trick is going to be treating all that are diagnosed...

Take care

Guest michael123456

Hi all,

Statistics are unrealable to the extent people don't tell the truth. Like two shoes pointed out they didn't have labels for panic attacks etc shell shock and shot them for deserting.

I had panic attacks after seeing a colleague loose four fingers in an engineering accident. I only knew I was experiencing panic attacks as my sister had these, so I could compare. I didn't go to the doctors not the thing us males do.

I no longer suffer from panic attacks to the extent I did originally. I still prefer to suffer in silence than have it recorded. Thats me.

Michael123456

Suicide rate stats? I only have that suicide is the main cause of death for men between 15-30 in this country.

And if I'm turned down from a job for depression, I'm going to be so ****** off... and consider sueing for discrimination ¬¬ Not going through uni to get told to get lost because I have a fricking illness... if I get the grades and can do the job, thats all that should matter.

Not going through uni to get told to get lost because I have a fricking illness... if I get the grades and can do the job, thats all that should matter.

Well said!

Edited by J's mum