feeing trapped.

Hiya, so I have been having a lot of nightmares, one in particular last night is that I was insane, in the dream it felt so real, my thought processes were bizarre and I was jumping up and down about a mile into the air each time, it felt so real I woke up screaming and woke my partner. I'm not struggling so much with intrusive thoughts, more a generalised anxiety left over from my latest episode. I had planned to go shopping with my best friend today but couldn't bring myself to face it, now, I know the best thing to do would have been to go anyway, but I kept thinking how it would be unpleasant for the both of us and wimped out. I'm tearful and fed up of all this. It's like being trapped. The thing is, I've pushed myself very hard for months to try and get back to normal, I am trying not to put too much pressure on myself at the minute as I don't want to overwhelm myself coming up to Christmas, is it ok to back away from feared situations (within reason) to try and keep my mind calm at this time of year? I have been doing things I don't want to when it's absolutely necessary for me to do so, but should I allow myself a break when the situation isn't something I really need or have to do? x

I suffer from OCD and I can relate with your situation. I am trying ERP and CBT. I try to maintain energy levels and also rest. You have to keep the right balance and pace yourself.  At present you have to do what's right for you in attending events and look after your health. Hope this helps.

The problem with avoiding situations that are easy to get out of is that it can reinforce the idea that we can't cope or that it will increase our anxiety or make us feel out of control. So I think it's important to be aware that when you choose to avoid something it can actually make us feel more anxious. 

In saying that I don't think you should make yourself do things you don't want to, but perhaps showing yourself you can do things when you feel awful is a better strategy. Maybe alter your plans in future so you go out but not for as long. This way you show yourself despite these nightmares and uncomfortable feelings I'm still capable of doing what I want. 

Balance is the key here, choose what you want and understand that avoiding something may make you feel more anxious, but whatever you choose and whatever you're feeling you can still cope :)

Gemma is right. Can you back off feared situations to give yourself a break? Sure. But you're then making your situation worse and delaying your recovery. There is always a consequence to our actions, or inactions.

You absolutely should have gone shopping today. It would have been you saying, "I"m not going to let this get me down." You didn't go, so it's over now. Tomorrow is another day, so put one foot in front of the other and try to challenge your disorder a bit and on you go.

Hey guys, thank u all for the responses, you are all exactly right, I wrote this post when my anxiety was high and now I've had time to settle a bit I feel like an idiot and am annoyed with myself that I let my anxiety rule me and ruin my plans. I've decided that I'm going to contact my friend in the morning and see if she would still like to go shopping and regardless of how I feel I am going to go anyway. ? Xx