Should I go to an OCD residential treatment program?

It was actually my parents' idea. I have largely overcome my OCD, but I have just one obsession that has been devastating me for the past two years...pretty much ruining my life. I think I would probably have to travel across the country to go to a clinic, and I'm not really sure they could tell me anything I don't already know (what I mean is I understand OCD really well and how it works). A doctor close by who I am considering going to see is Fred Penzel, the famous OCD expert. It costs a lot, but it's worth it I'm sure. I mean, if Fred Penzel couldn't help me, could an OCD clinic? The thing I'm struggling with is very rigid, inflexible thinking about one issue, this "decision" I have to make and how I have to stick with it and do the thing "perfectly". This is where I need to challenge my thought processes...so would I get something out of going to a clinic, or is it just going to be stuff I've probably already heard before?

I know what the answer to what is troubling you. You've been stuck between choosing two beliefs when it comes to therapy. You can't decide between the two. There is an alternative... Choose neither. Dismiss both. Throw out the materials on both. Do not research either. Do not ruminate over them.

I have no experience with in house treatment but I would imagine it's a more intensive form of treatment. 

By the way, if you think going to treatment or going to see an expert means you'll finally get answer to the question that's been haunting you, I think you'd be sadly mistaken.

4 hours ago, Ryukil said:

The thing I'm struggling with is very rigid, inflexible thinking about one issue, this "decision" I have to make and how I have to stick with it and do the thing "perfectly". This is where I need to challenge my thought processes...so would I get something out of going to a clinic, or is it just going to be stuff I've probably already heard before?

You've identified the problem - rigidity of thinking and perfectionism.

And you're spot on about challenging this way of thinking being the way forward. :yes: 

Would you get something out of going to a residential clinic? :unsure: 

That depends on whether you're more likely to implement the challenges to your thinking and accept imperfection as part of life if you spend time in a clinic than if you take on the challenges at home. 

Same thing when it comes to paying to see a top expert. All he, or the clinic, can do is support you and make suggestions if you get stuck. It's still up to you to devise a strategy for changing your thinking and make the actual changes. Neither clinic nor expert will bring about change - it's you who does that. 

Whoever you have therapy with, it's about gaining insight to the nature of the problem (a stage you've already partly achieved), then providing guidance, encouragement and support as you take yourself through the process of letting go of your perfectionism and rigid thinking habits. 

1 hour ago, Ryukil said:

I feel like there's a fundamental problem with the way I think that is causing all this decision nonsense, and I won't be able to move forward in my treatment of GAD until I resolve it.

Oh the irony, the irony! :( 

You still want to 'resolve' the issue when actually letting go of the issue (unresolved) is itself the move forward you need to make.

15 hours ago, Ryukil said:

Well, what does that mean? I want to proceed in treating GAD in some way.

But your problem right now is not GAD. You problem is that you are fixated on how to treat GAD. They are two different things. You have been fixated on this topic for, what, years now? You have gotten nowhere with it. You're just as stuck, if not more stuck now, as you were a long time ago. It's not working.

You need to solve the immediate problem first. And that is to stop fixating on which of two choices for treating GAD you have before you. I'm asking you, and it's a serious question, have you considered getting rid of both choices? You are endlessly doing compulsions on this subject by reading and rereading the choices and ruminating a lot, trying to figure out which way you should go. But it's not working. It's only keeping you stuck. Compulsions don't work. The way forward, it seems to me, is to dismiss both choices and stop the compulsions around them.

• 1 year later...
On 19/12/2016 at 15:21, PolarBear said:

But your problem right now is not GAD. You problem is that you are fixated on how to treat GAD. They are two different things. You have been fixated on this topic for, what, years now? You have gotten nowhere with it. You're just as stuck, if not more stuck now, as you were a long time ago. It's not working.

You need to solve the immediate problem first. And that is to stop fixating on which of two choices for treating GAD you have before you. I'm asking you, and it's a serious question, have you considered getting rid of both choices? You are endlessly doing compulsions on this subject by reading and rereading the choices and ruminating a lot, trying to figure out which way you should go. But it's not working. It's only keeping you stuck. Compulsions don't work. The way forward, it seems to me, is to dismiss both choices and stop the compulsions around them.

PolarBear, would you advise the same thing for OCD treatment? And I'm just bumping this because it is, basically, the same obsession. Now, instead of obsessing over which GAD treatment to do, I am obsessing over which OCD treatment to do (therapy, self-help, residential program). We would all agree that I need to decide something and do it, right? But maybe I need to stop researching things, ruminating, trying to figure it all out, and just let it all go? Not make any decision at all?

11 hours ago, Orwell1984 said:

You need to ring the mcleancentre and talk to them. That's the only decision you have to take. The rest is rumination fluff.

Not sure if I want to go. Also, for some reason, the idea of going there is "contaminated," so if I ask my doctor to fill out forms and start the process the intrusive thoughts and groinal responses start getting much stronger.

Where are we going with this thread Ryukil?  It seems to me that although it wears the disguise of being a legitimate query it is very much like many of the other threads where you've discussed these points and really becomes a platform for rumination and we know that that harms rather than helps.

Much of the discussion was had before your vacation to Germany, what do you feel is different this time?

3 hours ago, Ryukil said:

Not sure if I want to go. Also, for some reason, the idea of going there is "contaminated," so if I ask my doctor to fill out forms and start the process the intrusive thoughts and groinal responses start getting much stronger.

Well tough. The only way to get over the intrusive thoughts and groinal responses is through them. You have to feel them. Rather they'd get worse and you'd be on a course of therapy rather than them getting worse when the reassurance you're getting here does not work anymore. Imagine that- one day the reassurance will not be enough for your OCD and you'll have no therapy to help you bounce back. It's a matter of time before the main compulsions of posting on OCDUK and analysing therapy choices won't be enough to neutralise your fears. And because of all the reassurance you'll have gotten, the obsessions will be stronger and harder to overcome when you finally do submit to therapy.

Edited by Orwell1984
2 hours ago, Ryukil said:

I don't know. One day I really should stop posting here since all of my posts are compulsions, basically.

Instead of posting compulsions (which you're aware you're doing), instead of running away, why not use the forum to support you whilst working through the changes you need to make.  You clearly do understand what you're doing, you understand OCD, you understand your frailties and the errors you're making......that's an advantageous starting point, how about it?

17 hours ago, Ryukil said:

since all of my posts are compulsions, basically.

Left to its own devices, untreated and unchallenged, your OCD is only going to get worse. As one forum member has insightfully pointed out, in time to come, the compulsions currently performed will not be enough to neutralise your intrusive thoughts and ease anxiety. When it reaches that stage, it will be even more difficult to submit to therapy. Doing self-help and visits to the therapist wasn't successful, though you could try again, how much of an improvement are you going to get this time around? Since you can afford it, why not get admitted and have a team of professionals to guide you and tailor a treatment programme suited to you. 

Rather than being stuck, it should now be the time to get stuck in.

Mostly because the concept of me going to the hospital is "contaminated," so if I submit all my stuff my intrusive thoughts and groinal responses are going to spike.

I never tried self-help in earnest because I was obsessed with going to therapy. I think trying therapy again is a long-shot, but we'll see.

Anyway, one of my parents is actually going to call my former therapist and discuss with him my options and whether or not he thinks it is a good idea to go to the hospital.

Maybe going to the hospital would be helpful. I don't know. But I think wanting to go there might just be part of my OCD, like, another solution, another "magic cure" that will fix all my problems. Whereas I should have just been trying to ignore my OCD when and where I can, in my own way, from the outset. Don't know. Maybe I will apply. We'll see what happens in the next few days.

Hi Ryukil

I've got to say that I'm not really happy with this thread rolling along as it is.  Whilst it may appear to be innocent and a genuine discussion about options it is really a platform for your compulsions, to endlessly ruminate and whilst people are lulled into the debate, they are actually assisting with and supporting the compulsion.

I think you would be better discussing this with your parents and medical professionals and take it from there :)