Terrified of offending anyone

This is one I struggle with a lot. I have just seen someone who lives in my neighbourhood, I waved at them and they didn't wave back. Ever since I've been ruminating, wondering if I've accidentally offended them in the past or even if I've done something and can't remember (e.g when drunk). Of course, all the false memories then flash through my brain and I wonder if any could be true or if .........and then my mind just runs wild. 

Thanks, I know this is the best course of action. It's just I'm new to a close knit small village community which is causing me to worry more. It wouldn't have bothered me as much when I lived in the city.

There could be a thousand reasons why that person didn't wave back. But you don't need to figure out what the reason was. It's not your responsibility. You need to change your attitude and the way you think. You have to be okay with not knowing whether you upset someone or not. It's not a big deal either way. You're making it into a big deal but in reality it's not. Think to yourself, "Oh well," then get on with your day.