Am I the only one with contamination OCD who finds they have a constantly messy house, rather than the sparkling abode one would assume I have.  My fear of picking things up from the floor, touching bins and the assumption of contaminated areas means that when my OCD is bad, my house becomes an embarrassment. Makes me very cross with myself - however, the seal of my washing machine is spotless! 

Heh, there's that picture that people have that those with OCD are super clean neat freaks. It just isn't so. I think your circumstance, Chelsie, is probably more likely to be the norm for your OCD theme.

What you need to start to do is challenging your OCD by picking things off the floor, touching bins and going into contaminated areas. Also, you can stop washing that washing machine seal. Along with that you need to start thinking that OCD has been lying to you all along, that there really is no contamination and everything OCD has been telling you through intrusive thoughts has been a lie. Start thinking that way and you'll find it easier to challenge your OCD.

We had a secretary once who had to clean her flat before she came in to work, then the whole area surrounding her workstation. By the time she started work she had done probably 3 hours cleaning! 

When you look at it that way, the absolute nonsense of the OCD is clearly displayed. 

If one wanders around the current threads, all one can see is obsessing and compulsing about completely worthless things - whatever the theme of the OCD. The amount of time, and life experience, wasted is appalling. 

If everyone can just step back and see that, see that the exercise they are being forced through has no actual value, it might give them encouragement to stand up to it all. 

It's funny you should say this Chelsea, I was thinking the same thing today! My house is a total mess! Anything I drop on the floor usually stays there until I can bring myself to pick it up and wash my hands afterwards!  

I know the answer to this is just to pick up the items and not wash my hands afterwards! it can be part of my therapy! 

You're right taurean, obsessing and compulsing feels like such wasted time.