does being ill make OCD worse... also a question for the women.

So for the past couple of days I have got a heavy cold. Today I feel awful.  I didn't sleep very well last night as had to be up for work at 4 am and I was worried about getting my car out safely on all the ice. It didnt help as last night I didn't get home from work till 8pm so didn't have chance to wind and relax down. Anyway I had been doing so well with resisting my checking compulsions and not asking for reassurance but last night and today has been harder and I've not been doing as well. 

Also do any of you girlie's suffer from worse OCD a week before their period. I do and it must be the hormones. I am feeling really under the weather. 

I'm just looking for a sympathetic ear and some virtual hugs. x

Happy to give that virtual hug :hug:

I find when I am weaker and less resilient the OCD is more powwerful so I  have to work harder to resist it and try and distract more, not easy when one is predominantly at home. 

Lots of the girls have reported issues around the timing of the monthly cycle because of OCD/anxiety, which is naturally  distressing in itself.

Edited by taurean
typo

Hello

Being ill definitely makes me feel the OCD in a worse kind of way. It's especially bad during my period, so if you find that happening, go gently on yourself. It's all hormonal action, after all. :)

C x

Sorry you're not well! I know that when I wasn't well earlier this week, my OCD was terrible too!

It occurred to me earlier that my flare up around Dec/Jan this year is exactly the same time of year of 2 previous bad OCD periods.  When I'm very anxious I often feel faint and exactly a year ago today I passed out in the bathroom and broke my leg! Not sure why this is a bad time of year, though. SAD maybe? 

I've actually never noticed! But in theory, with a change of hormones that could be a possibility. I do know for sure, as others have stated on here, that pregnancy and recent child birth can really spike it. Interesting! Sorry you are not feeling well xo hope you're doing better  *cyber hugs!*

Thanks for the cyber hugs peeps. 

I am feeling much stronger OCD wise today and ready to FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT again. 

Chelsie-quite possibly it could be SAD. I always thought I like winter but I find the dark evenings make me feel down and also when im feeling cold I feel more anxious. I have no idea why. I just hate being cold. 

Hi kitty Purry,

aww its rubbish you're not feeling great and hope you feel better soon :flowers2: it's lovely that your hubby is looking after you too.

i must admit I do feel less able to ignore OCD thoughts and feelings around the week before time of the month and a little during too.

8 hours ago, hazydaze said:

that pregnancy and recent child birth can really spike it.

That certainly applies to me hazydaze. Looking back I've prob had OCD for about 9 yrs. but ever since pregnancy and childbirth 4 yrs ago it's gotten a lot worse. The responsibility felt/feels overwhelming.

Storm x

Hey everyone, guess who's time of the month is coming up! I noticed a few days ago my boobs were starting to hurt, they always do, but it's today that the anxiety has decided to up the ante! I needed a food shop, I normally go with my dad anyways but this morning the anxious lump in my throat told me not to go! Well feeling a little stronger now I decided to go anyways being mindful i am ust feeling like this because of my hormones! It wasn't exactly pleasant but I did it, I may have bought far too much chocolate though ? I just thought I'd post because once we can reason with ourselves that we feel this way because of our time of the month we can and should continue on as normal despite the feelings xx

3 minutes ago, kittypurry said:

I'm doing terrible today. I just feel dreadful. I hate feeling and living like this. I hate my brain. I hate my head. I just want a moments peace from the constant noise going on in my brain. I am in so much pain.

Awk Hun I am so sorry ur having a rough day, just remember u had a couple of good and strong days, ur entitled to have bad days too, they happen but always remember there are good days ahead too. We are all in this together xxx

Yep I feel similar. 

I am playing a guided meditation on repeat at the moment, one of seven 10 minute ones by the Australian psychologist Simonette Vaja. 

Shortly I will move to number 3, a scene which equates to driving on the A41 through the beautiful Vale of Aylesbury. 

I use this CD when really struggling, and her beautiful voice and the imagery brings some peace and tranquillity. 

It's called 10 minute meditations for stress free living, and you can get it or download it from Amazon. 

Edited by taurean
amendment

Sorry you're having a bad day, kittypurry. I've had a quiet weekend and feel that, despite my panic earlier, I've coped quite well.  However, I'm already starting to have the Sunday evening feeling, knowing that tomorrow it's getting up and out for work early again.