Hello this is my first post and just wanted to write down what I have been going through. I have had anxiety and OCD all my life, but it never really became a major problem until I was 12 when I developed the fear of contamination, it got to the point where if I didn't wash my hands I couldn't use them and would keep my hands in pocket until I washed them. 

I fortunately forced myself out of this habit as I didn't tell anyone and was very embarrassed by it. Also during this I went through a faze where I stopped brushing my teeth ( I know, disgusting I couldn't dream of leaving the house without brushing them now) because I thought my tooth brush was dirty after using it once and I couldn't bye one everyday.

anyway I this didn't last long and I got over it. But about 5 weeks ago (or maybe longer) I started to worry a lot more and started to lose interest in the stuff I liked. Then one day out of nowhere a thought popped into my head about cancer.

since then I have never been the same since as it has developed into almost every kind of thing associated with OCD from health concerns to contamination fears (which has recently come back exactly how it was when I was 12) I have also been dealing with disturbing intrusive thoughts not to mention the dozens of physical effects I have dealt with over the weeks, but that's not it, it keeps getting worse and I'm trying my best to stay calm as I don't want to worry any of my friends and family. 

I have visited quit a few doctors over the weeks and the only thing a came away with is the number to CBT, which at first I was relieved until I found out theirs a 6 month waiting list. 

Im sorry for the long message but Im just getting overwhelmed by everything that's happening. And I'm sorry to rant as I understand most people on here have had to deal with their conditions for years until they seeked help. But I just don't know what to do and honestly I'm just writing this to keep me occupied for abit. Anyway I would appreciate any input, thanks for reading ( I don't really know how to end a blog or whatever you call it I'm kinda new to this apart from one other forum I wrote on, sorry for going on I'm stopping now.)

Hi Yellow submarine and welcome to the forum.

The first thing you need to know is that you are not alone. Millions upon millions of people suffer from OCD. Accessing quality therapy can be a real challenge for some people. I'm sorry you're looking at a six-month waiting list, but there are things you can do in the mean time.

Spend the time before your therapy becoming educated about OCD. Get into an understanding that all you are going through is just normal, everyday OCD and it is treatable and beatable. There is tons of good information out there about OCD but watch what you read; there's lots of junk too. Perhaps get a hold of a good self help book. There's lots out there and they basically all talk about the same kind of therapy for OCD.

CBT is the best treatment for OCD, with or without medications. Having a qualified therapist guide you through the process is the best but that doesn't mean you can't learn how it works and start trying to put into practice now. Be proactive, learn and try some things out for yourself.

And of course there's us, here on the forum. We're here to offer support, be it to be a place to rant or to have one of your questions answered.

Hi Yellow Submarine, 

Welcome to the forum :) 

Sorry to read that you are having a tough time at the moment but this is a great site with lots of excellent advise and support so you have come to the right place! 

I had a relapse in November and I decided that I needed to act and get therapy straight away. I knew that I had a waiting list for my area and I was really bad, so I decided to research therapists with the right credentials but I went private. I'm so glad I did as I have found a great therapist. Obviously going private isn't an option for everyone but if you really are struggling and you feel you need to talk to a professional sooner rather than later then it might not be a bad idea to research in to it. Even if it's just a few sessions to talk to someone initially before you start your CBT. 

This is just a suggestion from my personal experience as I honestly felt like I was going crazy and the anxiety and panic became to much. Whilst talking to family and friends can be great, for me personally it became reassurance seeking and talking to a professional was far more beneficial. 

:)