Why are you on the forum?

It's a question I think some users should actually consider.

If it is because you want to get better, you want to learn new coping tips or learn about treatment with a view to actively doing something about your own OCD to fight it, then this is the place for you.

But if you want to use the forum to share how bad you feel but then continually week-after-week, month-after-month choose to ignore practical advice offered, and choose to do nothing about your OCD, not to challenge it, not to seek therapy, not to read self-help books then I am not sure this is the right place for you at this time.

Sure we all have bad days and we all need to vent, that's fine, we want to be here for you when you're struggling.  But then the next day you have to then pick yourself up and do something positive, something practical to challenge your OCD if you want to get better.

OCD does not go away on its own, you can't medicate it away (with prescription or non prescription meds), you can't drink it away, you can't sleep it away you have to actively WORK to make it go away, and sometimes work more, and more and chip away at it. You have to actually do something.

The forum will be there for you when you need it, but you have to be there for yourself and fight for yourself, nobody else can fight your fight.

Great post Ashley. 

At first when I had my relapse in November I was a serial poster, constantly looking for reassurance and panicking all the time. 

Ive now decided to try and find a healthy balance and I come on here from time to time to try and post positively. Obviously we all have slip ups. 

Ive taken some great advise from the users of this forum and coupled with my therapy I am seeing improvements but it's a long road. 

I really would agree and say that you need to use the advise you are given and try your absolute best to get better! 

3 minutes ago, Cupcake4 said:

constantly looking for reassurance and panicking all the time

That's ok, we all do it  :)  But you have learned (not sure if from here or therapy) that reassurance does not help long-term.  I guess  the idea is we learn from the people replying to us (most of our users give good advice), so perhaps something I should have said above actually is the forum is not going to help people who simply post rather than read.   

7 minutes ago, Ashley said:

That's ok, we all do it  :)  But you have learned (not sure if from here or therapy) that reassurance does not help long-term.  I guess  the idea is we learn from the people replying to us (most of our users give good advice), so perhaps something I should have said above actually is the forum is not going to help people who simply post rather than read.   

Absolutely.

I learnt it from here and therapy. I also learnt what my compulsions were from posting on here to. I'm trying my very best now to stop these compulsions. 

I do agree with you though that people must read and digest the advise they are given, no matter what state you are in. Even if you can't apply it in that moment, apply it the next day. If you post, listen to what people are telling you! 

I'm here because I love to have the support from everyone, I also love to see how people's journeys are progressing and give advice as well as take it when needed, this place is wonderful for showing us all that we are not alone in what can feel like a very lonely struggle sometimes! I do tend to find it saddens me sometimes to see people who continually post the same stuff and never seem to try and make progress but it's also good that they have somewhere to come to especially if they don't like to share their problems with anyone outside the forum but would seriously recommend that if you find yourself posting again and again and going round in circles that you seriously consider getting help outside of this community and use the forums as a support network as you go along with your recovery process xx

Edited by Wonderer
Guest OCDhavenobrain

I am here to talk about OCD, when i am not here am i doing fine.

when i amhere do i feel like i could tell others what to do. Really the only productive you can do here, tell other what they should do. But i think that is huge.

And i want to know what i have myself, i am not at all closed to the idea that i have a whole book of diagnosis. 

i dont think many would be here if people just used what they already know about ocd. I wouldn't, but then am i not sure if i actually have ocd or OCD and something more

OCD is not about logic it's about feelings and when someone gets a feeling will it be hard to dismiss them and this is even more the case if its you who have the ocd at the moment (your feelings)

Edited by OCDhavenobrain

I have very severe OCD, and that's why I'm on the forum.

I am here to get help from people, but I've not felt like posting my symptoms because it's a lot of effort to think about, and I feel disappointed in myself when I think of what I have.

I find myself posting advice to people a lot more than I post about myself, but I find this helps as I'm much better at giving advice than taking it, so when I explain things to people it helps me see what I need to do myself to fix that.

I do also find that the replies, especially from the more established members, help a lot, and remind me that I need to keep fighting and how to.

Also, I find posts by @Jessie_Loz are very positive and make me feel better.

This was really interesting to read. I've literally just joined as an OCD suffer. I try to keep positive and talk about what I'm suffering from but sometimes its hard to communicate how you feel to others that can't fully understand what you're going through? The forum has highlighted that there are many others going through the same / similar thing and you can eventually will eventually be okay. Its a brilliant support network, I've posted once and the responses were incredibly reassuring and useful :)

There is a vast amount of useful data in the forum memory bank, and in the signature block to my posts people can see how best to access it. 

It pleases me, when I go to the onllne user list, to see how many people are actually doing that and looking at helpful former topics.

Periodically , if i am observing the main forum and see that one of my earlier topics would be useful to someone, I post a link to it. Or if someone welse wrote one, I explain where to find it via the help screen.