How simple Mindfulness can help OCD

Hello everyone. 

I just thought I would share something with you that might help. It's nothing much but I do believe this helps. I have been given similar advise on the forum but it's also something my therapist has really been pushing on me to do and she works with other OCD patients and studies OCD to. She is a massive believer in Mindfulness and it's also helped her in her own anxiety battles. Mindfulness is not easy, it's very hard but with practise it can help. It might come easier to others. 

When I originally heard about Mindfulness I thought it was all about meditation (which isn't always for me)  and some of it is but it's also a bit more than that, it can be a lot more simple. 

Often with anxiety we can spend a lot of time worrying about the past, things that may or may not have happened, obsessional thoughts and "what ifs" and also worrying a lot about the future. Mindfulness encourages you to bring your mind back to the present and focusing on other things that are in the now. 

Appreciating the simple things around us that we often take for granted. 

I challenge some of you to do some simple mindfulness before the week ends and see how you get on. It takes practise but I do think it's a great way of dealing with obsessional thoughts or if you are struck with sudden anxiety. Do it in the moment though. 

My therapist has told me I really need to practise this and I have seen some improvements, I'll explain below. 

Find some simple tasks. Nothing that takes up to much concentration but stuff that are easily done. For example reading a book, watching some of your favourite films, knitting, painting, baking, running, walking, online free courses like DuoLingo etc etc. Even if you don't feel like doing these things, do them anyway. I know when OCD is at it's worst coupled with depression, doing the most simple task almost feels impossible but try your best to do something. Almost force yourself to do something. That's why simple tasks are the best to choose, Just to go through the motions. I'm not saying that the thoughts will disappear but it's allowing them to be there whilst being involved in another task. If you get the thought for example whilst your painting a picture, acknowledge the thought as OCD and then turn your mind back to the present, keep painting your picture. Don't engage with it just simply keep painting. It's sounds easier said that done but with practise you will notice that the thoughts become less frequent or less distressing. Fill your days with little tasks like this and see how you get on. 

Im still in recovery and still practising Mindfulness but sometimes it's easier to not engage with a thought when you've actually got something to do. Whilst doing the task you might find that your obsessional thoughts are always there but keep going through the motions of the simple task even if you don't feel like it. Keep paining, running, walking, knitting or whatever. 

I hope his helps some of you out :) 

Cupcake x 

This was really great to read considering I didn't have much knowledge on Mindfulness. Definitely going to try this before bed tonight (as thats when my OCD is at its worst) 
Thank You Cupcake :thumbup:

6 hours ago, Cupcake4 said:

Hello everyone. 

I just thought I would share something with you that might help. It's nothing much but I do believe this helps. I have been given similar advise on the forum but it's also something my therapist has really been pushing on me to do and she works with other OCD patients and studies OCD to. She is a massive believer in Mindfulness and it's also helped her in her own anxiety battles. Mindfulness is not easy, it's very hard but with practise it can help. It might come easier to others. 

When I originally heard about Mindfulness I thought it was all about meditation (which isn't always for me)  and some of it is but it's also a bit more than that, it can be a lot more simple. 

Often with anxiety we can spend a lot of time worrying about the past, things that may or may not have happened, obsessional thoughts and "what ifs" and also worrying a lot about the future. Mindfulness encourages you to bring your mind back to the present and focusing on other things that are in the now. 

Appreciating the simple things around us that we often take for granted. 

I challenge some of you to do some simple mindfulness before the week ends and see how you get on. It takes practise but I do think it's a great way of dealing with obsessional thoughts or if you are struck with sudden anxiety. Do it in the moment though. 

My therapist has told me I really need to practise this and I have seen some improvements, I'll explain below. 

Find some simple tasks. Nothing that takes up to much concentration but stuff that are easily done. For example reading a book, watching some of your favourite films, knitting, painting, baking, running, walking, online free courses like DuoLingo etc etc. Even if you don't feel like doing these things, do them anyway. I know when OCD is at it's worst coupled with depression, doing the most simple task almost feels impossible but try your best to do something. Almost force yourself to do something. That's why simple tasks are the best to choose, Just to go through the motions. I'm not saying that the thoughts will disappear but it's allowing them to be there whilst being involved in another task. If you get the thought for example whilst your painting a picture, acknowledge the thought as OCD and then turn your mind back to the present, keep painting your picture. Don't engage with it just simply keep painting. It's sounds easier said that done but with practise you will notice that the thoughts become less frequent or less distressing. Fill your days with little tasks like this and see how you get on. 

Im still in recovery and still practising Mindfulness but sometimes it's easier to not engage with a thought when you've actually got something to do. Whilst doing the task you might find that your obsessional thoughts are always there but keep going through the motions of the simple task even if you don't feel like it. Keep paining, running, walking, knitting or whatever. 

I hope his helps some of you out :) 

Cupcake x 

Thanks. Going to.try this. X