Real life problems VS OCD problems!

hi guys, just an observation I have made, I've had a really awful situation this week, and I've handled it better than most people around me that are also affected. Why when a real life scary situation happens am I able to be strong and supportive but when my stupid obsessions crop up they literally Send me into nervous break down mode even when I know what they are and they aren't real problems?! It's so bizarre, technically I should be very anxious, angry and scared at what i am going through but I am being so resilient, I have noticed this before, real problems that would make anyone crumble, are not as bad as my made up obsessional problems! Anyone else? It's so weird.xx

It's so strange. I've had hardly any anxiety since this crisis has occurred, yet others affected are beside themselves! i suppose it may be because this is not a "what if?" situation and more a "is happening" so have to get on with it as best I can! 

4 hours ago, Wonderer said:

real problems that would make anyone crumble, are not as bad as my made up obsessional problems! Anyone else? It's so weird

Yup that happens to me for sure. I think it's just that when a real problem occurs I know it's certain - there is 100% probability around it, so my mind is able to deal with it calmly. When I am gripped with an OCD thought that may or may not be true then what obsesses me is the desire to prove it's either true or that it is not true - which of course is rather difficult and often impossible. It's that uncertainty and the desire to get into a zone of certainty either way (100% sure it is a problem or 100% sure there is no problem) which gets me crazy. So I think OCD is a problem not because we cannot deal with stressful situations but more because OCD keeps us in a zone of uncertainty which we find very difficult to accept and live with.

Edited by Ram
4 hours ago, Ram said:

Yup that happens to me for sure. I think it's just that when a real problem occurs I know it's certain - there is 100% probability around it, so my mind is able to deal with it calmly. When I am gripped with an OCD thought that may or may not be true then what obsesses me is the desire to prove it's either true or that it is not true - which of course is rather difficult and often impossible. It's that uncertainty and the desire to get into a zone of certainty either way (100% sure it is a problem or 100% sure there is no problem) which gets me crazy. So I think OCD is a problem not because we cannot deal with stressful situations but more because OCD keeps us in a zone of uncertainty which we find very difficult to accept and live with.

Perfect explanation. Suppose it is the doubting disease so why would I be distressed in the same way when there is no doubt? Thanks! Xx

2 hours ago, paradoxer said:

Misfiring brain. OCD is invariably worse because it taps straight into an unadulterated chemical based fight or flight mode. 

Yes u are right, this situation is not part of my disorder,so why would I react the same way? Thank u xx

That's such a good, clear explanation, Ram - thanks! 

Wonderer - I also think having CBT therapy helps with everyday life too, I guess it's one benefit of having OCD - 'normal' people don't get the opputunity to learn CBT techniques even though I think they could be useful for most people. 

Hi Wonderer, this is so true! A great post to put things into context as well. 

With a real life crisis I just deal with it. It's easier to deal with because we can rationalise, we can't rationalise our OCD anxiety because it will never satisfy the uncertainty and ludicrous 'what if' thoughts.

There's also a different type of worry or being nervous that can be productive, I'm nervous about this, so i'm going to prepare well. 

This can't relate at all to the anxiety felt with OCD, no compulsions ease the anxiety.

Guest ashipinharbor
7 hours ago, Ram said:

This is so perfect, Ram. Thank you!

1 hour ago, biscuitcat said:

With a real life crisis I just deal with it. It's easier to deal with because we can rationalise, we can't rationalise our OCD anxiety because it will never satisfy the uncertainty and ludicrous 'what if' thoughts.

This is also a good summary! Very true about never finding certainty keeping us stuck.

17 hours ago, Wonderer said:

I've had a really awful situation this week,

Hi Wonderer, I'm really sorry you're having a tough time of things at the moment, I hope you're ok. It's great you're coping well too. 

7 hours ago, Wren said:

also think having CBT therapy helps with everyday life too,

Interesting Wren, I've never really thought about this. But I think this is a good point, my husband came along to an appointment of mine Recently and afterwards commented that I'm lucky to be able to get cbt and how others would find it beneficial even if they don't suffer with OCD.

13 hours ago, Ram said:

So I think OCD is a problem not because we cannot deal with stressful situations but more because OCD keeps us in a zone of uncertainty which we find very difficult to accept and live with

Hi Ram, this sounds like a reasonable explanation. Certainty is something I've always craved. But I'm getting better at understanding the more I try to feel certain the less certain I actually feel.

Guest ashipinharbor
12 minutes ago, Storm said:

Hi Ram, this sounds like a reasonable explanation. Certainty is something I've always craved. But I'm getting better at understanding the more I try to feel certain the less certain I actually feel.

And the more you start to give it up, the better you feel, I've learned.

Hi guys, thanks for all the replies, I haven't been on much or had the time to reply, U are all so right in ur responses! It's actually a great thing to know that despite all our nervousness we are able to cope with life whatever it throws at us! 

4 hours ago, Storm said:
22 hours ago, Wonderer said:

Hi Wonderer, I'm really sorry you're having a tough time of things at the moment, I hope you're ok. It's great you're coping well too. 

Thank u so much! Awk I'm a bit dejected and fed up but could be worse!xx