Thought Blocking Question

Guest ashipinharbor

Guest ashipinharbor

Not looking for reassurance, just want to know if I'm doing this right.

If I notice I'm suppressing an intrusive thought, I'll purposefully bring it on, and kinda force it, in a sense, to make myself... unafraid, I guess?

Is that what I'm supposed to do?

I read somewhere that purposefully thinking intrusive thoughts takes away their power. It's just the fact that I already have groinal response that's making me think I'm doing it wrong.

Edited by ashipinharbor

I'd reserve the "bring it on" approach for designated ERP sessions of 15-30 minutes/day.  Outside this time just accept the thought's presence and gently try to refocus.  Constant "bring it on" can be counterproductive in my experience.

Guest ashipinharbor
6 minutes ago, jimangie1973 said:

I'd reserve the "bring it on" approach for designated ERP sessions of 15-30 minutes/day.  Outside this time just accept the thought's presence and gently try to refocus.  Constant "bring it on" can be counterproductive in my experience.

Thanks for the reply!

Okay, yeah. That makes sense. Question, though: how can it be counterproductive? Not that I don't believe you! I'm just curious.

I feel like this is the the last little bit of my false attraction fears, since I no longer worry I'm a monster, and I want to get it right.

Edited by ashipinharbor

I guess it depends on how much of your day is being occupied with the thoughts and reactions.  If you're doing "bring it on" most of the day, OCD is front and center all the time.  I'm just saying it can  be helpful to try to live your life without purposely staying focused on the OCD.

Guest ashipinharbor
1 minute ago, jimangie1973 said:

I guess it depends on how much of your day is being occupied with the thoughts and reactions.  If you're doing "bring it on" most of the day, OCD is front and center all the time.  I'm just saying it can  be helpful to try to live your life without purposely staying focused on the OCD.

Ah, gotcha! Thanks for the clarification. And I agree. I'm trying to fill up my days with other things besides my OCD.

Thank you for the reply :)