OCD interview on This morning tomorrow

They are doing a interview with someone with one of the worst cases of OCD on This morning tomorrow. Unfortunately I can't tell you a time my sister just told me, she only caught the end of what's on tomorrow. 

Eamonn, Ruth & the doctor still have a lot to learn.  Too much use of the terms extreme, severe form.....when it is a very common form.  Ill-educated comment from Ruth like "How did you stop yourself killing your wife?" :wontlisten: That was my main gripe that they didn't get across how common this is.

That said, well done for covering this and a good interview from Adam in the short time he had

37 minutes ago, Storm said:

They referred to it as an extreme type of OCD. When I always thought that it's not the type/theme but actually how much it interferes with your life that determines how extreme it is.  

You are correct. Unfortunately, some people (or maybe it's many people) classify certain themes of OCD as severe or extreme. It's nonsense. A sufferer, with the help of a qualified mental health professional, fills out the YBOCS form. That determines whether their OCD is mild, moderate, severe or extreme. YBOCS measures how much time is spent on obsessions and compulsions and how much they interfere with daily living.

I agree Jessie I thought it was terrible apart from Adam. Eamonn and Ruth are too ignorant and ill-informed to ask appropriate questions and to suggest that Adams OCD is extreme or rare is to fundamentally misunderstand OCD. They wanted to suggest Adam was a rare case when in actual fact what he experienced is bog standard OCD. It seems people are desperate to keep OCD in the tidying and organising tins bracket. 

It looks like there is still along way to go before people will start to understand OCD, they still have the same thoughts that it's to do with everything being lined up just so etc, as Gemma said they want to keep it in the tidying and organising bracket. They do these interviews but they never give the sufferer enough time to speak, it's always a rushed interview. Well done to Adam though for sharing his story.

39 minutes ago, lostinme said:

Well done to Adam though for sharing his story.

I agree with this too lost, I liked the part where Adam clarifies it as a worry problem. Something I think was an important point to make. 

So I missed this so I googled it and was immediately disturbed by the coverage, the first two clips I seen where of him saying about his urge to strangle people and the mirrors opening line to this article is "OCD sufferer Adam Shaw opened up on This Morning about how his extreme thoughts made him want to murder his wife."

there is no "want" in Adams OCD only "fear of" why can't the media listen to this?  It goes on to say that Adam insists that people with OCD never carry out their thoughts but that he "carried handcuffs around for 4yrs just in case"

shocking ???

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys I've only just seen this clip I'm actually shocked by it has you know I suffer from this form of OCD that Adam does.. there remarks are unreal about it all how does ocd step have to such thoughts about murder or about him being alone with kids and how does he stop him self from killing his wife they have no idea what's so ever makes me so mad that people think it's just think it's cleaning etc and how it step up to this like we are such bad people..I suffer day in day out with these thoughts about my family if only they knew want adam and me and other people on here and the world have been tho every single day disabled and life ruined because of such thoughts..they didn't even want to listen just spoke over Adam the whole time like he was some monster and didn't give much time to talk...Adam done well with what he was saying.. 

heidi x