Best medications?

Hi people,

I was wandering if anyone could recommend a medication that's actually renowned for decreasing symptoms of OCD.

I've been on Mirtazipine (Remeron) for a few years, on various doses, and am pretty sure it's doing nothing for me. It's an anti depressant, which I do not believe is specifically designed for OCD.

I know medication is not a cure, but if there are some out there that are effective in decreasing the frequency of obsessive thoughts then it'd be good to hear about them.

Thanks

Edited by Joewest439
26 minutes ago, Joewest439 said:

if anyone could recommend a medication that's actually renowned for decreasing symptoms of OCD

No such thing as PolarBear mentions everyone's reaction to meds is totally different.  However, generally SSRI meds are first line medications recommended. Sometimes Clomipramine which is not an SSRI is tired if the SSRI's fail to help.

But I think you may need to review your 'reason' to take meds Joe. If you mean by decreasing obsessional frequency, then medication can't do that, only by working at therapy (CBT) will you in time learn to change your response to the thoughts, and the frequency will decrease.   But meds sometimes help people feel a bit better with the anxiety caused by the thoughts, so more of a sticky plaster tool to help manage the OCD rather than treat it.

Yeah the only other one I briefly tried was Citalopram, and they made me feel instantly horrible, really restless and anxious, which has put me off SSRI's in general, but perhaps there are others out there that would suit me better.

I am tackling the condition in the other recommended ways too, but am also keen to find a med that'll perhaps bring on a state in which the obsessive thoughts occur to me less often.

It's interesting, when my mind is occupied, like when I'm at work or playing football, I'm almost free of such obsessions. But when I'm bored or alone, it's a breeding ground for OCD. I actually expect the thought onslaught to begin, and it snowballs, although I am much better prepared to deal with it behaviorally now.

Maybe there's a med out there that will reduce this expectation of intrusive thoughts.

13 hours ago, Joewest439 said:

keen to find a med that'll perhaps bring on a state in which the obsessive thoughts occur to me less often.

I think you may be disappointed, maybe I am wrong but I don't think that's the purpose of meds, I don't think any med can actually do that. 

I think The best way to look for an outcome of intrusions decreasing in frequency is more likely when we work through CBT. 

When we understand what goes on in our brains, why we experience the intrusions and how to change our behavioural response, we become able to leave them be, not connect with the meaning OCD gives them. 

When we can see them for the mental chaff they are, and when they don't get attention, they lose power, occur less frequently and we can ease them away. 

Edited by taurean
13 hours ago, Ashley said:

I think you may be disappointed

Agreed :yes:  There are some that do  benefit from medication....there are also as many we see who are repeat-prescribed it for decades who see no significant improvement and yet it is continued to be prescribed despite that, possibly because of the problems that often occur when withdrawing.

On 14/04/2017 at 22:22, Joewest439 said:

It's interesting, when my mind is occupied, like when I'm at work or playing football, I'm almost free of such obsessions

To me there's a big clue in there......that the problem is a behavioural/pyschological one rather than one that needs addressing chemically.  purely a personal opinion but one worth taking hope from