OCD Awareness Week

OCD Awareness Week takes place each October, and it's clear our efforts in the past have generated a little media coverage but the public perception of OCD remains poor. 

So what can we do different, what can we try to create a bigger impact for OCD Awareness Week?  Sadly our budget is limited... actually non-existent, but lets try some brainstorming to see if between us we can come up with the perfect idea.

So.... thoughts?  ideas?

We could approach some of the weekly women's magazines to see if one of them  would include a feature to coincide with awareness week. 

We could provide the copy. 

Generally, as we have had some of these recently, they seem quite interested in mental health and wellbeing issues. 

I'm a huge fan of LBC Radio.  LBC is a nationwide talk radio station who often discuss topics relating to mental health/wellbeing issues.  

I wonder if it might be an idea to approach them.  Who knows you may even get offered some air time to coincide with OCD Awareness Week.

To be fair LBC usually call me whenever they discuss OCD, I have done a lot for them over the last few years so you're right they may be worth a call.  Again, women's magazines will cover OCD but getting them to do it around OCD Awareness Week is a challenge because they will if space but if a busy news week in celeb world often we get bumped until it's more quiet.

If anybody is passionate about OCD Awareness and keen to get involved then please let me know, I am wondering about setting up a focus group to help brainstorm and see if we can come up with ideas.

As well as L.B.C. (nice to know that they come to OCD-UK for a quote when needed), there is a relatively new talk network on digital platforms called Talk Radio UK.  http://talkradio.co.uk/.  Its presenters include James Whale (ex Radio Aire in Leeds, ITV Night-times) who always seemed to be quite good at covering social and psychological issues sensitively and without too  much sensationalism. 

As you know, I am involved in community radio here in Bristol, and we will be covering OCD Awareness Week.  There are now some 290 community radio services in the UK, plus about 20 local citywide TV stations.  Combined, they comprise a formidable force in media, but with hundreds of small projects, how to reach them all?  They are mostly represented by the Community Media Association.  They *might* be worth getting in touch with, as they have mailing lists that reach all the different projects. 

On the press front, the Guardian might be worth speaking to, in that it has a healthy psychology spot on its site and in the paper.  https://www.theguardian.com/uk

:yes:

• 2 weeks later...

The Daily Mail are running an awareness project around people getting given prescription drugs that are habit-forming, and getting into a significant mental health state as a result. 

The might be interested in running something,