Ruminating video

Fantastic PolarBear :goodpost:

I can relate to this totally, I now don't allow myself to ruminate and yet I use to ruminate 24/7 for 40 yrs. 

I agree it takes lots of practice and at first you succeed some times and not others and even at times you don't realise your ruminating till a few minutes into it.  What I learnt was the times I didn't succeed was when I realised that it was a pointless task that caused me so much heartache, pain and suffering. So the times I failed to stop ruminating actually did me good because these were the times when I began to realise that I never found the answers I was looking for. Now if I catch my self ruminating on a thought I just say in my head I'm not going there, I'm not doing this and refocus on what I'm doing. 

So in some ways I think you need to fail whilst trying to do it so you learn to realise and understand why it's a pointless task:yes:

lost 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...
On 25/04/2017 at 21:09, PolarBear said:

I thought I'd do a video on what ruminating is and how to stop it.

This video has been really informative and helpful for me today, I really needed to see this. I wish there was a magic switch that could make it happen in an instant. Iv struggled with OCD for years now, NHS services in my experience haven’t helped. I feel the therapists I have encountered haven’t understood OCD, so I have never really had my problem fully ‘sorted’. Iv sought help myself from various forums, reading books, other peoples experiences to understand that what I have is OCD, over the years I have been able to work on thoughts myself and over the last 3 years feel I have saw light at the end of the tunnel, managed to keep things to myself more, ignore the thoughts etc. I’m currently studying and in my final year so really struggling with pressure, stress etc and feel it is getting worse, back to what it used to be- where I don’t want to go as it was a very dark hole I was in. I want it stopping before it gets worse. It’s affecting my relationship, it’s driving my partner crazy that I keep confessing. It’s driving a wedge between us. I just want to get better but feel I am burying my head in the sand, don’t want to leave the house or do anything productive. This isn’t me, I’m a funny outgoing active person. I am a good person but OCD is making me feel bad, analysing my every move, my every thought. It’s driving me insane 😿. I hope I can use this video to help me out of this. Thanks again