Openness + Christmas Cards! Part 2

This isn't a post about next Christmas...

I specifically sent OCD-UK Christmas cards last year to a) family members and b) people I was hoping would be curious why I was supporting this specific charity with Christmas cards rather than, say, Cancer Research or The British Heart Foundation.

It just struck me earlier than not one person including family members (which made me sad) asked me what my reason was for sending OCD-UK cards. I was hoping to be able to engage people in conversation and explain some of the misconceptions and realities of living with OCD.

It didn't happen. I can't understand why? Best wishes, Phil.

Hey Phil, do your family and friends know you suffer from OCD? If so, then they're probably just assuming the obvious, you have it so you support the charity! As for people who don't know, they could just assume you picked the charity at random,   I have sponsored charities over the years at random, for no particular reason except I read about it and sponsered it! I understand your frustration though, it seems like a good conversation starter but unfortunately it didn't work out that way for you xx

It's probably the norm Phil. 

I send cards from various charities, I can't recall anyone asking me about the charities :(

But at least by buying the cards I will have supported the charity. 

My family know I have OCD - or most of them do but apart from my younger brother I have had zero support over the years and I thought the cards might start a conversation. Some of my friends know I have OCD but not the nature of it. I agree with both responses so thank you. Best wishes, Phil.

That's sad Phil that u haven't had the support from ur family. Sometimes people just don't understand so I can see why ur disappointed that u didn't get to have a chat with them about all the ins and outs of the disorder. All my friends know I have but only 2 of them know the nature as I think we need to be careful with who we trust with our thoughts because of that lack of understanding. You're doing great and although it may be frustrating that the family aren't there for u, look how far u have come without them! X

I am blessed with a supportive wife, as it seems is Phil - that means a massive amount to me. 

My sister is also a sufferer of OCD,  but different themes. 

My parents were supportive without knowing much - mainly in the form of love, they weren't really able to help - and it hit us after we had left home. 

My aunt is very supportive, as too my sister-in-law who was a lecturer in physiology and takes an interest. 

So lots of care and consideration without any detailed knowledge or assistance - but that has worked fine for me. 

Thanks for more great responses. I should have said my wife is incredibly supportive but not my wider family.

I believe that my sister and two of my brothers have OCD (sounds mad I know) or traits of OCD but my sister in particularly has no insight into some of her behaviour. Obviously I'm not diagnosing (!) them or anyone else but as a long-term sufferer of this condition I'm pretty sure I can spot the signs - especially among my siblings.

Cheers, Phil.

3 hours ago, PhilM said:

Thanks for more great responses. I should have said my wife is incredibly supportive but not my wider family.

I believe that my sister and two of my brothers have OCD (sounds mad I know) or traits of OCD but my sister in particularly has no insight into some of her behaviour. Obviously I'm not diagnosing (!) them or anyone else but as a long-term sufferer of this condition I'm pretty sure I can spot the signs - especially among my siblings.

Cheers, Phil.

Yeah I'd say ur probably right if u have noticed things about them that scream OCD! I have felt my son has had it for some time now and he's just been recently diagnosed, we have so much knowledge on the disorder we can spot it a mile off!xx

I spotted it in hopefully minor form in my cafe the other day. 

A retired friend walked in. His usual single seat in the corner was occupied and he took an identical place the other side of the cafe. 

For no reasonable reason - identical seating anyway - he relocated as soon as his usual seat was free. 

This could obviously develop into "something horrible will happen if I am not in my usual seat" - magical thinking OCD. 

1 hour ago, taurean said:

I spotted it in hopefully minor form in my cafe the other day. 

A retired friend walked in. His usual single seat in the corner was occupied and he took an identical place the other side of the cafe. 

For no reasonable reason - identical seating anyway - he relocated as soon as his usual seat was free. 

This could obviously develop into "something horrible will happen if I am not in my usual seat" - magical thinking OCD. 

That could be a sign, but it could also just be that he prefers that seat, what he can see from where he is etc, the reason I say this is that we all have our own seats on my house lol, but two of us have OCD and two don't! People have funny little habits and quirks that never develop into OCD, lucky people! Lol xx

My sister lives elsewhere in Wales. I have been inside her house - once and I repeat once in 20 years. She doesn't want to let people in. She would never invite my wife and I to stay at her house if we were in the area which would be convenient for us as I don't get on with my mum's partner so don't want to stay there and end up staying in a B&B or hotel.

If she's out in public she's fine and totally confident but when it comes to her home she doesn't want to let anyone in. Obviously I'm not diagnosing her but it does seem like OCD to me.