how are these two things possible at the same time

Guest R.S.J

about 10 months ago I lost a good job. I'm working again but my new job doesnt have health care benifits and I worry all the time about my health , not imaginary stuff but about real health problems that I know about and also some new issues that I dont know what is causing the pains . Here is where it gets interesting, not only do I have this worry about health but I have been thinking of ending my life, how are these two possible at the same time ?

While we are on the subject of intrusive thoughts, I am always thinking that a murderer in prison can go to a doctor but I can't..... And then I think if I go see my old boss and kill him I would not only punish him for taking away my job and my health care, I would go to prison where I would have health care available.

welcome to America where criminals get everything free while the working poor struggle to survive.

as you can see I'm not doing so well at the moment

rsj

Guest PrincessJenna

rsj,

Firstly, it is a terrible situation to be without health benefits. I am lucky to have been covered by COBRA when I lost my job 10 months ago. It is a terrible situation in the US with health care but you know killing your boss is not the answer. Prison is a whole lot more than free health care.

Regarding the duality of your two thoughts one of worrying about health the other of ending your life, I have been in that position myself many times. I have talked with my therapist about it and she has told me that it is very common. Because in truth, we do not want to die; we just want things to get better and easier.

I have a few suggestions regarding your health status. Just some things I learned during the 10 years I was without insurance.

1) If you go to an Emergency Room they are required by law to see and treat you regardless of your ability to pay. Yes it is a pain to wait around but it is health care.

2) If your Employer does not provide benefits there is, in a majority of the states, a law stating that you be eligible for some sort of assistance through the state to pay for your own private insurance. (If you let me know what State you are in I can check it out)

I know it can seem hopeless at times but the system has just as many loopholes as it has guidelines it is just a matter of knowing how to find them. It is hard work, many people think it is not worth the effort, but if you truly have concerns for your health and well-being it will pay off in the end.

Good Luck and keep posting!

I didnt mean I would actually kill anyone its just one of those intrusive thoughts. and about the emergency room, that works for a broken leg or a heart attack , but can you go there for lab work or other preventative action?

Edited by Guest

Hello RSJ

So sorry to hear about your situation. Are there any US based mental health charities which could give advice about how you can access help?

As to worrying about your health and then thinking about ending your life - well apart from the latter not being a very good idea (to say the least!) I think it is very understandable. I can well imagine that if the anxiety about your health and paying for healthcare gets too bad, you would think about ways out. However, you know it's not the solution, just your mind trying to cope with a very stressful situation.

Let us know how you get on.

All the best

honey

Guest PrincessJenna

I didnt mean I would actually kill anyone its just one of those intrusive thoughts. and about the emergency room, that works for a broken leg or a heart attack , but can you go there for lab work or other preventative action?

I knew you didn't really mean to hurt anyone. My joking sarcasm does not come over well on the internet sometime. Sorry. :(

And as for the ER, I used to go there for everything from a common cold to random aches and pains one would see a Dr. for. If you have a concern about a particular illness, let them know what your symptoms are and why you think it is that illness, just as you would your regular Dr.

Some private hospitals CAN refuse to treat non critical cases so you are better off going to a county hospital, again if you feel ok saying what State you are in I can look it up for you. I do not want or need to know specific location or your real name. But any more general info you can give such as what illness you are concerned about and what state, county you are in I can try to find you as much information as possible.

The most important thing you can do is be your own advocate by gathering information. Just going to the ER and saying "Well, I don't feel well" will get you no where. If you go in with a specific complaint. for ex.

"I am having stomach pains and I am very concerned it may be an ulcer."

" I am having intense migraines that blur my vision and it is concerning me they may be more than typical headaches, There is a family history of stroke/aneurysm at a young age"

Do not over exaggerate too much but give it a sense that it is an ongoing and should be looked for immediately. Be honest tell them you do not have a primary care physician.

Hospitals are constantly weighing cost and depending on your complaint they are going to weigh the options between testing you, and a law suit.

If you just have a general concern of health there may be free/sliding scale clinics in your area that you are not aware of. ( An emergency room may even have a list of them)

As someone who went years without insurance while dealing with both severe physical and mental illness, you certainly have my empathy.

Anything you feel comfortable telling me will help me give you any information I may have on how to deal with your current predicament.

I cannot stand to see someone suffering needlessly because of an inept government.

~jenna

Edited by Guest

Here is where it gets interesting, not only do I have this worry about health but I have been thinking of ending my life, how are these two possible at the same time ?

Hi,

I think i can kind of relate to what you are going through.....From my own experience i find that part of the reason for ocd is a fear of death (correct me if i'm wrong), and so perhaps you fear death and therefore ocd picks on this and makes you believe you will kill yourself. Secondly, i think that the health worries are directly related to this, because presumably this could also be because you worry about getting sick and therefore may end up dying?

Please feel free to disagree with what i'm saying; I'd like to know your thoughts on this.....

Best wishes,

Han xxx :)

I was just reading my post from this morning , what a foul mood I was in ! I've been having some real wide mood swings over the last 6 months but I'm feeling better tonight , thanks for all the replies

RSJ

Edited by Guest