Menstrual cycle and ocd.

Hi all last time I was on here all was good with my daughter. But since last Thursday she has gone down hill. Crying and really sad. Her thoughts keep coming. She's struggling to ignore them. But ive noticed its everytime she's near to her period she seems to get worse with her ocd. Crying for no reason feeling depressed. Thoughts coming all the time and doing rituals. I just want to know if it makes ocd worse? 

Yup. It's been talked about exhaustively in the forum. I've seen this same sort of thread started thirty times at least. Many, many women with OCD can attest that OCD symptoms get worse with that time of the month.

Hi Mrs. Porter,

I too suffer from OCD and notice it definitely escalates when I am about to start my period or while I'm on it. My heart aches for your daughter and for you having to witness it. With that being said, I have read the vitamin B-12 might, I personally have not tried it with my symptoms, but I have been looking into it.   Experts say Kava can help with anxiety also. For me drinking tea helps a lot(honey lavender, occasionally chamomile). Is she currently seeing a therapist that specializes in OCD patients? I would have practice mindfulness and positive reinforcement with her thoughts- meaning "bully" back the nasty OCD voice. When I have an intrusive thought or image, I tell myself "this has nothing to do with my character, this is just a thought and even though I had it, I'm not doing this in real life." Or I'll take the people or animals involved in the thought and make myself imagine a positive scenery instead. It takes me a couple minutes to let the negative thought go, but I try my best to over analyze or find reasoning as to why I had the thought. I also tell myself that "if I have an intrusive thought or image, I won't be afraid or worried" since im a lot more mindful of my OCD. Reactions to the thoughts and images are EVERYTHING, meaning if I become afraid, sad, distressed with the thought, I'm giving the OCD more power than I should. I hope this helps and I wish the best of luck with you and your daughter. Xoxo

Hi she sees a physcologist every week at camhs  doing cbt therapy. She's been having reiki healing as well. Which makes her relaxed when she's really down. Ive been telling her think of ocd as a bully. And don't give in and don't do the rituals. I said even say it in your head I'm not doing this.she just has to learn as I keep telling her to just ignore the thoughts when they come. As there not real. And nothing bad will happen.We had a good chat about it lAstnight she wrote a lot of her thoughts down. I will try that vitamin for her thanks. 

Ah the time of the month! I suffer badly for the week before my period and the first few days of it, it's like clockwork, in fact, I can tell my periods coming by the dramatic change in my mental state even if I'm not mindful of the date! Personally I haven't found anything that helps this, but, I am totally kind to myself during this time, I'll have my favourite chocolate and take lots of rest, watch movies etc. It might be a good idea to make ur daughter up a treat box for her time of the month, fill it with her fave sweeties, essential oils, a nice wee girly novel or movie, something she can look forward to opening up each month around that time and encourage her to try and relax as much as possible! Nice long baths, naps if she needs them etc.xx