NHS or private help? phycologists or Psychiatrist? (Merged Threads)

I seem to have been waiting such a long time to be referred to discuss my diagnosis and medications.

If I can find a way to afford private treatment, do you think it would be beneficial and how does the quality differ?

Also who's best to give a diagnosis phycologists or psychiatrist?

Thanks

Vicki

Hi Vickii

So far as I'm aware, both psychiatrists and psychologists are qualified to diagnose. Psychiatrists can also prescribe.

Having a diagnosis might be comforting, but the professional who you really need to engage with is a cognitive therapist with experience of treating OCD. In my opinion, if you can afford to, it's worth paying privately (I would have waited 2 years for CBT on the NHS).

Good luck in your quest.

Hi Vickii,

Yes, if you can afford it (without getting into financial difficulty, which might add to your stress) and if the NHS waiting list is very long then a private diagnosis and treatment might be worth it. 

Psychiatrists, Psychologists and GPs can diagnose, only Psychiatrists and GPs can prescribe BUT the NICE recommended treatment for OCD is Cognitive Behavioural Therapy so as long as you secure a diagnosis with a prescribing medical practitioner (this could be your GP if they're willing to diagnose or it could be from a one off consultation with a Psychiatrist) then you could always simply look for private CBT. If you do choose to do that then make sure the therapist is BABCP registered. http://www.cbtregisteruk.com/Default.aspx

Hope all goes well!

Oh and in terms of quality I don't really think they differ- I had private CBT as a teenager (the CAMHS waiting list was too long and I had a breakdown) and NHS CBT several times since then and I think that it's similar but obviously that just depends on which therapist you get!

Edited by BelAnna

Hi,

I've finally just come to the top of the NHS waiting list, after being on it for 18 months! I've been seeing a private therapist for the past 9 months or so and I'm a fair amount better. If I hadn't started seeing a private therapist I'd be in a terrible state right now. I'm seeing going to see the NHS one because I do still have OCD problems. But it would have been much better if I'd had it 6 months ago when I was really bad.

I would agree that it's better to pay in the meantime if you can afford it.

If you can pay to go privately then do it.

All I will say is be critical of whoever you use, my first person tried to relate it back to how I was treated as a child and didn't accept I had OCD. Thankfully the two I saw later have been much better.

You are paying good money...expect a good service!

Hello! I don't have a huge amount to add but I would say if you're looking at private therapy then ask your GP to recommend - there are lots of CBT practitioners out there advertised online and not all of them are accredited. You want one who is accredited! 

If going private then be careful to choose a therapist that is skilled in delivering CBT and knowledgeable in the treatment of OCD (not just knowledgeable about what OCD is).   A BUPA therapist doesn't mean anything, BUPA is just a health insurance company.

In terms of quality, going private doesn't mean anything either. The best OCD experts in the UK are nearly all NHS employed.  Going private means one thing only, accessing quicker treatment.   Prices vary from £50 a session to £150+ per session.  

As BelAnna rightly suggests, bare minimum to seek out if going private is they must be BABCP accredited (not BACP).

If I was going private there would be one person I would reach out to, that's Dr Elizabeth Forrester.  She spent many, many years working for the NHS CADAT service, so she is arguably the most experienced private therapist (OCD wise) in the UK.

3 minutes ago, Ashley said:

As BelAnna rightly suggests, bare minimum to seek out if going private is they must be BABCP accredited (not BACP).

If I was going private there would be one person I would reach out to, that's Dr Elizabeth Forrester.  She spent many, many years working for the NHS CADAT service, so she is arguably the most experienced private therapist (OCD wise) in the UK.

Dr Forrester has also written a book on OCD too.

I'm currently looking into getting private to get a complete diagnosis and then support from there. I'm on a NHS waiting list but feel desperate for some help.

Although I'm happy to travel further afield, if anyone can recommend someone in the East Anglia area I would be very greatful.

I have looked at Dr Elizabeth Forrester but she seems to treat people via Video or Telephone, not sure if I feel like I could really open up to someone over the phone, what are your views? 

Vicki

• Ashley changed the title to NHS or private help? phycologists or Psychiatrist? (Merged Threads)
11 minutes ago, Vickii said:

I have looked at Dr Elizabeth Forrester but she seems to treat people via Video or Telephone, not sure if I feel like I could really open up to someone over the phone, what are your views? 

She does work from a clinic too Vickii. She does see patients in person (Petts Wood, near Orpington - about half hour from London Bridge).

14 minutes ago, Vickii said:

Although I'm happy to travel further afield, if anyone can recommend someone in the East Anglia area I would be very greatful

There may be therapists in that area, you can search the BABCP link posted above, but if you want an OCD expert rather than just a generic therapist who knows about OCD then I am afraid you may need to travel. 

The only other person I know in the East England direction is Dr Jan van Niekerk based in Cambridge. 

Thank you Ashley. I just spoke with Dr Forrester, I explained you had given me her name, she knew you, she was really pleased you recommend her.

She was very understanding and could almost instantly confirm it's OCD at work in my case. She is very busy at the moment but has offered me lots of advice and if I can wait that long I will call her mid August to hopefully get an appointment.

Thanks again

Vicki

12 minutes ago, Vickii said:

Thank you Ashley. I just spoke with Dr Forrester, I explained you had given me her name, she knew you, she was really pleased you recommend her.

She was very understanding and could almost instantly confirm it's OCD at work in my case. She is very busy at the moment but has offered me lots of advice and if I can wait that long I will call her mid August to hopefully get an appointment.

Thanks again

Vicki

Well done Vickii. It's heartening to see folk taking the sound advice offered here and being proactive in seeking treatment. Thumbs up from me!