Coping with not much support

Hi

I haven't posted on here for a while but I'm struggling so wanted to reach our for advice. I have PTSD which then triggered OCD and was diagnosed about three years ago. I've gone through therapy for the PTSD and was going through therapy for the OCD but it all paused when my father died in 2015. Im now the main carer for my elderly and frail mother and although I've since tried to return to therapy, I've not been able to. I'm cut off with no friends outside my work colleagues and have recently started Levothyroxine and HRT for an early menopause which I am sure makes my OCD worse.

As it's been creeping back I've tried to speak to my mum to clear my head but understandably she has the same response many people without OCD have to the anxiety which is incomprehension at the things that frighten me. All this makes me feel more isolated and the anxiety increases. I'm still getting triggered but feel more and more powerless to stop it.  Any advice. 

Hi Redrattle,

Good to have you back on the forum though I am sorry you're suffering.

Yes, indeed, people who do not have OCD cannot possibly understand what we go through so I think it would be a good idea not to discuss your OCD with your mother any more. 

The bottom line is that, though very, very distressing, the intrusive thoughts are meaningless and not grounded in any reality. They have nothing whatsoever to do with the reality of who you are. 

When the thoughts come (and, I do know, they can seem incessant), do not fight them. Do not ruminate or question why you have the thoughts and what they're about. Try not to act out on your compulsions, but just focus on another activity for at least 15 minutes. The anxiety will get less and, even if it doesn't, you will have broken the obsession / compulsion cycle which is fantastic.

I know this is difficult but I guess what I am getting at is the "4 Steps" principle. Are you familiar with it? You can find it on this website. I'll get back in a moment and post you the link.

You are NOT alone - you have us on this website and we care.

Sending love, light and angels and I'll post the link in moment or two,

Gerard x

I take Levothyroxine and without it I find it difficult to energise myself to do anything. And I spent time looking after frail parents which for a time made me quite isolated living hundreds of miles from my home. My phone was my lifeline. Why are you unable to continue therapy? I think Gerard provides good advice. Take care.